Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674908 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto
« Reply #2950 on: February 16, 2023, 08:53:57 PM »
I saw a video of AD sitting on the bench, and uninterested in Lebron breaking the record.

To be fair to AD he did explain his actions.  Apparently he was in the tunnel and was coming back to the bench just as LeBron hit that shot to pass Kareem.

Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: February 26, 2023, 06:33:41 PM »
Once again:

What the **** were the Jazz thinking trading Vanderbilt and Beas- Never mind, I’m gonna stop questioning it. Thanks, Trader Ainge.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2952 on: February 28, 2023, 11:51:40 PM »
Once again:

I mean the Jazz are trying to tank.  There is your reason there.

What the **** were the Jazz thinking trading Vanderbilt and Beas- Never mind, I’m gonna stop questioning it. Thanks, Trader Ainge.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: March 03, 2023, 12:46:28 AM »
I was being rhetorical.

If you want to be literal though, the Jazz have won too many games to tank properly, recent loss to the Spurs notwithstanding. Also, they didn’t have to sell so low on two starter level players. The Jazz could have just sat them if tanking was the plan. Not that I’m complaining since the Lakers are watchable again. It’s just a little baffling that a man known for fleecing other teams in trades made a very non-Ainge deal.

Anyway, I’m surprised no one posted about that amazing Kangz vs Clippers game or Lillard dropping 71 without OT. Dead forum is dead, I guess. 🤷â€â™€ï¸

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: March 03, 2023, 01:14:23 AM »
Warriors pulled a Warriors tonight.....

down 11 at the half, couldn't hit a shot their lives.
Kerr says or does whatever he does in the locker at the half
41-16 Warrior run in the 3rd

This was despite the multiple questionable calls made by the refs, such as where Kawhi slaps the ball out of bounds, and the refs call it Clipper ball. Kerr almost challenged it.
The flurry of fouls on a single play leading to a collision between Dray and PG13 that was STILL a no-call that just lit the Warriors fuse.

But I do have to give a shout out to Ty Lue for the beautiful challenge call in a situation i've never seen before and was ready to laugh at.

Kawhi elbows DiVincenzo in the mouth, lengthy over the commercial break review to call it a Common Foul and 2 Free Throws for D, then the challenge happens,
Here I am wondering who in their right mind would challenge that after that 5 minute review, and turns out to be successful in not just reversing the call, but flipping back onto DiVincenzo as a foul before the elbow giving Kawhi 2 free instead. ::standing ovation::

Well played Ty, well played.

But we ultimately kicked they ass, because it was literally 4 on 5 with no respect shown to Westbrook whatsoever. It was REALLY embarrassing. Literally daring WB to shoot ANYTHING at all. Dray didn't get within 15 ft of him if he wasn't coming into the paint. All the open shots he want to take, and of course he missed them all.

Hopefully this 2nd half Warriors is the Warriors we continue to see now that the "Playoff" switch has been pushed.

But we have yet another back 2 back tomorrow, and apparently one more this season after this.
That's quite ridiculous.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 01:27:39 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2955 on: March 03, 2023, 11:24:56 AM »
I need the Warriors to beat the Pelicans tonight and lose to the Lakers on Sunday. Please and thank you.

Of course, m-f-ing Steph Curry decides to return from injury against the Lakers. I sincerely hope he’s rusty.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: March 03, 2023, 06:18:37 PM »
We need to win both, sorry.

Lakers with no Bron and a sad AD, vs Warriors with possible return of The Chef... Not sure what's on the menu that night, but i hope to be served up something good.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: March 03, 2023, 07:11:29 PM »
I was being rhetorical.

If you want to be literal though, the Jazz have won too many games to tank properly, recent loss to the Spurs notwithstanding. Also, they didn’t have to sell so low on two starter level players. The Jazz could have just sat them if tanking was the plan. Not that I’m complaining since the Lakers are watchable again. It’s just a little baffling that a man known for fleecing other teams in trades made a very non-Ainge deal.

Well, this has been asked a few times now, so there are a handful of possibilities here for why Ainge made that Westbrook trade, despite knowing that Westbrook was never going to play a single game for us and we didn't want him anyway:

1. In the lead-up to the trade deadline, there were stories going around the major NBA pundits that the Jazz were one of the biggest players on the market, but that some general managers had declared "if you get a call from Danny Ainge, let it go to voicemail." Apparently, at least some if not a lot of teams were petrified of being fleeced like the Cavaliers kinda were and the Timberwolves DEFINITELY were. You could argue that Ainge had to show he was willing to lose a trade in order to make it easier for GMs to deal with him again over the Summer.

2. Something else that came up over the Summer is that the Jazz were having trouble getting trades going because they were hard-capped. They couldn't take on salary, so any trade had to be for equal value, and that just wasn't working out. By trading several players who weren't going to stay for the Jazz after this season for a player who DEFINITELY wasn't going to stay for the Jazz, it opened up I believe $60 million in cap space. It's believed this will allow the Jazz to finally start making trades again during the Summer, but it could also have another purpose...

3. Jazz owner Ryan Smith has this bizarre obsession with Jordan Clarkson, like he's the one player that he's publicly said he wants on his team, come hell or high water. He's the player the Jazz dragged out to show off those godawful new Jerseys over the Summer, despite Donovan still being the face of the team at the time.

Problem is, Jordan has openly said he's not going to take his player option this off-season to return to the team. Instead, he's nearing the end of the viable part of his career, so he's going on the open market to chase his last big payday. The Jazz could not afford the $21 million+ per year that Jordan's asking for, so we are expecting to lose him after this year. However, the Jazz just made this bizarre 3 team trade that opened up a huge amount of cap space. Perhaps Ainge was being strong-armed into finding money to resign Clarkson. Personally, I hope not. I like Clarkson, but I don't think he's worth what he thinks he's worth, and we need that cap space to sign real starters and get this rebuild going now that we're down to our new core unit. Ainge wants to make the Finals in the next 3 years. Clarkson will not be part of that, and if we pay him what he wants, we won't be able to reach that point.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: March 06, 2023, 12:16:06 PM »
Looks like Ja Morant could miss more than the 2 announced games for the Grizz....
https://sports.yahoo.com/grizzlies-coach-taylor-jenkins-has-no-timeline-for-ja-morants-return-after-gun-video-suspension-022832825.html

Between the SUV training lasers at Pacers staff in Indiana, the threatening of a 17yr old with a gun after a pick up game, bringing the posse to threaten a Finish line employee and Mall cop because his mom called, and now flashing his piece in a strip club on IG Live while on tour with the team in a different state... rumor has that it could be (but mostly likely won't be anywhere near) up to 50 games suspension.

the only way a lengthy suspension is likely to happen though, is if it turns out it was his personal piece, that he brought on to the team plane/facilities and cross state lines with.

But chances are he's gonna miss more than than yesterday vs the Clips, and tomorrow vs the Lakers. Probably also gonna miss Thurs vs the Warriors and probably Sat vs the Mavs as well. But I guess we'll see.

Not to downplay Ja's own self inflicted troubles.... and I hope he gets the help he needs, but all 4 teams this week need that win against the Grizz, who are also missing Adams, and another player that just suffered an ACL tear.

Grizz are likely to slip into the 3rd or possibly even 4th seed before Ja is back.
leaving the Kings in the 2nd seed!!!! (who saw this coming or even as a possibility!?)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: March 06, 2023, 04:46:22 PM »
Looks like Ja Morant could miss more than the 2 announced games for the Grizz....
https://sports.yahoo.com/grizzlies-coach-taylor-jenkins-has-no-timeline-for-ja-morants-return-after-gun-video-suspension-022832825.html

What a bozo.

Colorado police also looking into the situation.... 🚔
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1632829012178337795?s=20

Guess you can upgrade bozo to dumbass. 🤦ðŸ¿â€â™‚ï¸

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2961 on: March 09, 2023, 11:36:06 PM »
If the league gets him for having the gun on the team plane, we can upgrade him to two steps past that.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: April 24, 2023, 10:32:08 AM »
This Warriors vs Kings series has been FIRE.

lots of calls favoring the Kings, but the main thing holding the Dubs back from already being victorious, is all the got damn turnovers..... (also some rebounding, but mostly TO's)

Curry with the Timeout Call when we ain't had no Timeouts.... :facepalm:
that put us in a position to lose the damn game. So damn stressful with this team this year.

and the WTF moment by the refs....
When there was a whistle, for what everyone thought was for a kickball (they showed it on replay), but the ref called it an "Inadvertent" whistle.... which should have just reset the play for the Warriors, since they had the ball during and after that "inadvertent" whistle, but somehow it turned into a Jump Ball, that turned into a quick Kings 3, busting up the Warriors change to build on a late 5 point lead....
we all know that should've been a Side or baseline out for the Warriors. Not sure how it turned into a Jump Ball.

Draymond absolutely is the worst when it comes to close quarter shots and layups.... missed somewhere between 5-7 close ones, that could have easily given us a comfortable lead. Nothing but full speed layup lines for that man please!!!!! it's literally killing us on offense. But good thing he is sooooo Clutch on Defense, because that saved us from an embarrassing defeat yesterday.

All worked out in the end, but damn was that nerve wracking to watch. Best series of the Playoffs so far BY FAR though.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: April 26, 2023, 09:33:00 PM »
Well, here I was enjoying a little schadenfreude at seeing Donovan and Rudy yet again fail to get past the 1st round after how much their respective teams paid to get them when I decided to google what happened to the Timberwolves after they lost.

And umm...yeah...apparently, Anthony Edwards swung a chair at a couple of arena staffers after the Wolves lost that last game, and now he's being charged with 3rd degree assault after (presumably lightly) injuring them.

Lovely teammates you have there, Rudy.  :rolleyes:

https://sports.yahoo.com/anthony-edwards-cited-for-assault-for-allegedly-hitting-2-women-with-folding-chair-after-timberwolves-elimination-224617553.html

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: April 27, 2023, 03:05:43 AM »
It's total BULLSHIT if you watch the video.

He picked it up, swung it around in front of him, and then softly dropped it infront of 2 arena employees. He shouldn't have done that, but there is no assault. at worse, the chair touched someones feet, but 3rd degree assault!? gimme a break.

They just looking for a quick settlement and easy paycheck.
and once it's done, if it is exactly as it looked.... then I hope they get fired for cause.
That would be filing a false ass police report for what that video looked like.

But on to better news.... How about Jimmy Butler (8th seed) taking out Giannis (1 seed) and coming back 2 games in a row with a more than double digit deficit in the 4th.... absolutely crazy.

And then the Warriors pulling out game 5 against the Kings.... despite the ref effort to not let that happen. It was a good ass game... all 5 of them have been so far. Game 6 is where it ends though. Experience will beat youth this time. They gonna have to save that BEAM for next year.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: May 13, 2023, 12:52:40 AM »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: May 13, 2023, 09:51:36 AM »
Definitely rooting for the Nuggets and 76ers at this point, because **** having ANOTHER Lakers/Celtics Finals.

And what a shock: Chris Paul was injured in the Playoffs when his team needed him the most, like he is every playoffs. Always a pleasure seeing the ring-chaser (Durant) just completely fail after demanding a trade.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2967 on: May 17, 2023, 08:37:09 PM »

What a bozo.

What's the upgrade after dumbass? Is it shithead?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: May 17, 2023, 09:35:13 PM »
Ja really got let off easy with an eight-game suspension then decided, “Yo, let me hit y’all with the REMIX!â€

Like why? Homeboy cost himself $40 million because that suspension definitely factored into the all-NBA vote. It’s like he wants to lose more money.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: May 18, 2023, 09:18:26 PM »

What a bozo.

I actually think it's Dipshit, but if he gets that whole or even half season suspension.... Well just give him the free upgrade to Big Time Loser or fucking idiot

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2970 on: May 18, 2023, 11:25:18 PM »
LOL. Just waiting for someone on Reddit to make a gif of LeBron blowing that open dunk but with the Larry O’Brien slipping out of his hands.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: May 23, 2023, 03:29:47 PM »
Still waiting for the Nuggets to get that extra point that was missing from Jokic's 3 that counted as a 2.... That they showed the replay of several times and mentioned on the broadcast, but never updated the score....

Not that it really matters now, but it could've.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: June 01, 2023, 01:03:13 PM »
Still waiting for the Nuggets to get that extra point that was missing from Jokic's 3 that counted as a 2.... That they showed the replay of several times and mentioned on the broadcast, but never updated the score....
Davis was called for offensive goal-tending that was't one. Call it a wash.

Anyway, some quick thoughts/questions:

1. BNM, thoughts on Bob Myers stepping down? Homeboy really signed Poole to one of the worst extensions in the league then decided to dip.

2. I keep reading that Draymond will turn down his player option. No one else is paying him $27.6 million. He's taken discounts in the past so maybe it isn't about the money. Thoughts?

3. Anyone read up on the new CBA? Yikes. Most teams are majority owned by billionaires or a group largely comprised of millionaires and billionaires. They whine about spending but once it starts limiting and affecting them, they'll whine about that. Keep an eye on the Hawks next season as they're above that really punitive second apron.

4. Who here has watched the playoffs? I'm a little disappointed in most series. Only Kings/Warriors was really good and even that series had two blowouts.

5. Who is everyone rooting for in the Finals? I don't mind either team. I'm leaning toward the Heat because I like Jimmy Butler and the narrative that they have four undrafted players logging significant minutes.

I also like Jokic. Despite back-to-back MVPs, people keep hating on him/downplaying how good he really is. I don't really care that the Nuggets have never won a title. With roster and ownership turnover, teams aren't really the same. To that end, I roll my eyes any time fans brag about past titles especially if they happened over 15-20 years ago.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: June 01, 2023, 10:39:42 PM »
Regarding the Finals, my support's always behind the Small Market team. The Jazz & Nuggets have been division rivals for decades, so I'd like to see them get a Championship before Miami adds yet another one to their display case. Besides, they're just flat out the better team this year.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: June 02, 2023, 01:51:09 AM »
1) Bob Myers moving on was a little unexpected, as Curry still got a few years of near prime play left in him. Poole was certainly a mistep... but hind sight is 20/20. Who couldn't seen him only being a HomeWarrior and being a end of the bench G Leaguer on the road?

2) I know Dray wanted to go to the Lakers.... but he ain't getting paid nowhere near as much by any other team than the Warriors. and with the new CBA.... another team isn't likely to overpay on him just to get him away from the Warriors

3) I didn't read the new CBA, but got a brief summary of the changes.... kinda seemed targeted at breaking up the Warriors Dynasty, but that's from the perspective of who summarized it for me.

4) Dubs Kings was a good watch. Lakers getting swept was bitter sweet. I don't actually remember most of the rest of the playoffs, outside the Heat Celtics.... even though I watched quite a bit of it.

I just had to look up the playoff brackets :D and now I remember the Knicks Cavs being one series I was a little hyped about, but that turned out to be a dud. Oh and the Grizz flaming out spectacularly.

5) I'm personally rooting for Himmy Buckets, but I think this may just be the Nuggets year. They peaked at the right time. The Heat just don't score enough, and I don't think they can stop the Nuggets for getting consistent buckets.

edit: and to add, Jokic should've been a 3x repaeat MVP, but he let that go to achieve higher goals, starting with his first NBA Finals Appearance, and possibly a NBA Chip and Finals MVP. Embiid winning was only a compromise and a pity award. We all know Jokic was the clear and undisputed MVP for this season.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 02:38:12 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »