Author Topic: Nintendo renaming Wii U by choice? or by force?  (Read 15632 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo renaming Wii U by choice? or by force?
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2012, 12:15:20 AM »
Chozo Ghost, you have a Kirby icon, have you bought Kirby's Return to Dream Land?

Not yet, but it is on my wishlist. To be honest I haven't even turned on my Wii in months, let alone play anything on it. I am preordering Xenoblade though, and I have great hopes for that based on what people have said about it. That will be the first Wii game I've played in awhile, and it might also be my last. I still plan on buying Wii games I might have missed, but I will probably end up playing them on the WiiU because of the reverse compatibility. I did the same thing with my backlog of GC games I hadn't played when I got the Wii I played them on that in those early months.

Its really not so much that I hate the Wii but that I'm just disappointed in it... I just don't feel very enthusiastic about it. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but that's how I feel. I hope that Nintendo will drop the WiiU name in favor of something fresh and new so we can start off with a clean slate instead of carrying these negative reputations over into the next generation. I'm sure I will buy the console regardless, I just wish it had a name I could feel more enthusiastic about.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2012, 08:46:09 AM »
I think Nintendo's got a point when they argue against buying up developers willy-nilly because the people working there could just leave. Studios are only as good as the people working there, and buying the company means nothing if the talent decides not to stick around. I like their current strategy of working closely with external teams, like Monster or Next Level Games, without actually buying them.
I still kind of wish Nintendo would have purchased Sega while they had a modicum of artistic integrity. It could have been worth it for the IPs alone. Even with personnel departures, I don't think it would have been too difficult to find existing teams with enough passion to do something great with those franchises. It's water under the bridge now but it's one of those what-if scenarios that could have really worked out well.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2012, 09:11:30 AM »
Nintendo owning Panzer Dragoon, Shenmue, and Sonic to top it off? Oh, man. Yeah, I would have loved to see what Nintendo could do with those IPs.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:29:46 AM by Rachtman »
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2012, 09:27:12 AM »
Don't forget Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio and Streets of RAGE.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:52:16 AM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2012, 11:26:08 AM »
The idea of a new Skies of Arcadia game developed by Monolith Soft and Shenmue 1 & 2 (with the ability to transfer saves from one to the other) on the Wii U or 3DS eShop is pretty awesome. It's not like Sega's in hugely better shape than they were a few years ago; if Nintendo wanted the IPs they could still do it. But really, Sega hasn't been shy about whoring out their franchises anyway, so Nintendo could get those games without having to buy the whole company.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2012, 11:44:16 AM »
Isn't it possible to get the developers stay on board by getting them to sign contracts? Isn't that the whole point of contracts? I also don't think developers would jump ship unless they had a reason to. If they were given sufficient freedom and treated well why would they leave? If you treat them like dirt, cut their pay, and micromanage what they can do then yeah they probably would leave as soon as their contract is up. The key is just treat them well and they most likely will stay.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2012, 12:11:34 PM »
It's not like Sega's in hugely better shape than they were a few years ago; if Nintendo wanted the IPs they could still do it. But really, Sega hasn't been shy about whoring out their franchises anyway, so Nintendo could get those games without having to buy the whole company.
Nintendo could probably buy the rights to most of Sega's dormant IPs but I doubt they would see their true value without buying the entirety of Sega and making a Nintendo x Sega Smash Bros game. Besides, if they bought Sega, Wii U could be renamed Streamcast and it would mean something. Just trying to re-rail the topic.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2012, 01:21:26 PM »
I actually kinda like that name. Wow.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!