Author Topic: What new game do you hope to see Nintendo announce in the next year?  (Read 20391 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: What new game do you hope to see Nintendo announce in the next year?
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2014, 04:41:44 PM »
Except Mario Party 9 is widely considered the WORST Mario Party game (or at least the worst console Mario Party).

Really?  The Metacritic rating for 9 is higher than quite a few of the other Mario Party console games, and most people that I've met/talked to/gamed with enjoyed Mario Party 9 because it felt like a fresh approach for the series.

I know that 9 was a divisive entry - some liked the change in approach, others didn't - but I have a hard time believing that it's widely considered the worst Mario Party as you assert. (Personally, I'd rank it pretty close to the top. Had flaws, but did a lot of things right too.)
NNID: ejamer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2014, 04:50:28 PM »
The main thing people complained about with Mario Party 9 is the increased luck factor, which is certainly my big problem with the game. But they shouldn't toss out cool ideas like the boss battles, those were a lot of fun. So that's what I mean, if they take out some of the luck elements and tone things down, and build on the other ideas, it could make for a great Mario Party game.

Offline PSap29

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2014, 04:54:38 PM »
Except Mario Party 9 is widely considered the WORST Mario Party game (or at least the worst console Mario Party).

Really?  The Metacritic rating for 9 is higher than quite a few of the other Mario Party console games, and most people that I've met/talked to/gamed with enjoyed Mario Party 9 because it felt like a fresh approach for the series.

I know that 9 was a divisive entry - some liked the change in approach, others didn't - but I have a hard time believing that it's widely considered the worst Mario Party as you assert. (Personally, I'd rank it pretty close to the top. Had flaws, but did a lot of things right too.)

The critics are dumbasses then.  Mario Party fans know how bad 9 is.

The problem with Mario Party 9 is that it changed too much.  It really isn't Mario Party anymore.  You can't really screw over your friends as much and the board play has zero strategy.  Not to mention some pretty bad game design with the spaces that mix up the order.  These spaces can create the problem of one or two players not doing a damn thing for almost a half hour.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2014, 05:10:17 PM »
I'm a Mario Party fan and I like MP9.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2014, 10:14:44 PM »
I'm a Mario Party fan and I like MP9.

Same here. Same with my friends. Same with my family.

I know not everyone loves the game... but again, I think the hate is being overstated. (Yeah yeah, "welcome the internet" and all that.)

Mario Party 9 has some issues, but it speeds up the games and introduces some cool new ideas to a franchise that desperately needed some good new ideas.  I totally agree with Mop it up's post earlier that Nintendo should build on what worked, toss what didn't and give the changed structure a second chance in an upcoming Mario Party title.
NNID: ejamer

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2014, 10:47:53 PM »
Bring back the original structure and bring back the bowser phone.

Heck just put mp3 on the virtual console.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2014, 11:51:45 PM »
This'll sound strange, but the first thing that came to mind was Mario Party 10. I think they could come up with some interesting minigames incorporating the GamePad, and I also like some of the ideas introduced in Mario Party 9 and would like to see them expanded.

If they make Mario Party 10, they should go back to the basics of the original N64 trilogy.  20 coins to get a star.  Coin, Happening, and Minigame bonus stars, and Bowser wrecking **** up.  Although I would like to play as my Mii in the main party mode, unlike in 8, where Miis were relegated to the "extra" minigames.

Speaking of Miis, they NEED to be in Smash Bros.  Do it, Sakurai!

Miis are 1000% percent guaranteed.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2014, 10:57:06 PM »
Sprite Based HD Nintendo Classics.  Seriously, who wouldn't want this?

Super Mario 3/World Sprite based HD classics...with a remix mode that mixes all the games power ups into both games.

Sprite Based HD Zelda 2.  Perhaps try to redo the dungeons to feel like small Metroid levels...and you can enter dungeons in any order...but can only get certain items, and kill bosses after having certain items.  (Also needs the huge over screen world to explore.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2014, 11:29:32 AM »
They should make a very robust level creator using the assets from Mario Brothers, Super Mario Brothers, SMB2 (Both USA and Japan) , SMB3, SMW and Super Mario All-Stars and release that on Wii U. Try and bring in all of those modders who already do it with roms and 3rd party software. Allow people to post the levels to Miiverse/Youtube/OtherSocialMedia to share with others.

Several ways they could sell it. One, Sell it all at one price. Two, sell a basic SMB 1-3 and then let people buy the other sets for small fees. Three, subscription based service similar to XBox Live Gold and throw in other goodies like discounted games, free games, coins for Club Nintendo or other bonuses.

An ideal for me would be to just sell two versions. One is the 'gamer' bundle that lets you play any fan levels and access to any Nintendo created levels. Maybe give access to a limited level creator just to give people a sample of what is available in the second version. The second would be the 'creative' bundle that is the level creator pack.

They could then get different devs or highly rated modders to create 'endorsed levels' and release them each month. Maybe hold contests for high scores and speed runs.

My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2014, 11:45:29 AM »
You know...this is an interesting question.

For me, as someone who hasn't bought a Wii U, this question is more like "What new game would make you buy a Wii U?"

And as much as I hate to sound like some fanboy, my guess would be Zelda. Link's first HD adventure would pretty much be the only game announcement that I would have to play. I've played every single Zelda (except for CD-I but I would play those if I could, for shits and giggles), and I'm not going to stop anytime soon. Unless there is a clear drop off in quality and fun, then maybe I'll forsake my favorite series, but until then...I eagerly await the Wii U version.

If there was any other game, it would probably be something I can't even begin to speculate about. Metriod would definitely peak my interest, but in order to pick it up day one, it would have to be something phenomenal. Like MP3 but more ambitious. That's a pretty high bar I just set.

Pokemon would also peak my interest. I haven't played a single one since Red, but I always liked the formula. If they made it like Xenoblade, where the pokemon are just enjoying their lives in a massive landscape, I would pick that up day one.

What else? I'm really not sure. It would have to be pretty amazing, whatever it is.

EDIT: But let's be clear, I will one day own a Wii U. That I am sure. But when? It depends.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 11:47:32 AM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2014, 12:50:58 PM »
They should make a very robust level creator using the assets from Mario Brothers, Super Mario Brothers, SMB2 (Both USA and Japan) , SMB3, SMW and Super Mario All-Stars and release that on Wii U. Try and bring in all of those modders who already do it with roms and 3rd party software. Allow people to post the levels to Miiverse/Youtube/OtherSocialMedia to share with others.

Several ways they could sell it. One, Sell it all at one price. Two, sell a basic SMB 1-3 and then let people buy the other sets for small fees. Three, subscription based service similar to XBox Live Gold and throw in other goodies like discounted games, free games, coins for Club Nintendo or other bonuses.

An ideal for me would be to just sell two versions. One is the 'gamer' bundle that lets you play any fan levels and access to any Nintendo created levels. Maybe give access to a limited level creator just to give people a sample of what is available in the second version. The second would be the 'creative' bundle that is the level creator pack.

They could then get different devs or highly rated modders to create 'endorsed levels' and release them each month. Maybe hold contests for high scores and speed runs.

This a very cool idea and it's very hip to current trends in regards to social media.  I want this game.  Of course such an idea allows for obvious sequels.  Mario Creator can be followed by Zelda Creator and Metroid Creator.

But Nintendo won't do it because the old men in charge wouldn't want to set any precedence of allowing derivative works based on Mario.  They'll think that low quality fan created Mario games may somehow be mistaken for Nintendo's own works and it will hurt Mario's brand power.  That's nonsense, but that's how they'll think.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2014, 05:07:30 PM »
This a very cool idea and it's very hip to current trends in regards to social media.  I want this game.  Of course such an idea allows for obvious sequels.  Mario Creator can be followed by Zelda Creator and Metroid Creator.

But Nintendo won't do it because the old men in charge wouldn't want to set any precedence of allowing derivative works based on Mario.  They'll think that low quality fan created Mario games may somehow be mistaken for Nintendo's own works and it will hurt Mario's brand power.  That's nonsense, but that's how they'll think.

Did you already forget about the Wario Ware, DIY last gen that allowed people to make their own Wario Ware minigames and trade them with others online?  A game like Stratos talked about isn't that far from what they did with Wario Ware.

Plus on fan created content Nintendo is one of the most friendly videogame companies when it comes to fan games.  As long as the fan game is free and the creator doesn't profit off of it, you can make any type of Nintendo game you want and they don't care.  Hell there was a NSMB Wii mod called Newer Super Mario Bros released before NSMB U and Nintendo didn't give a **** about it.  Or look at how people have been modding Smash Bros Brawl for over 5 years now with new stages and characters constantly added and Nintendo hasn't cared about that stuff either.

Nintendo is a lot more liberal with fan created work then you seem to think.  You seem to have them confused with Square Enix and Sega who love to shut down every fan project they can get their hands on, even when they're free.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2014, 05:20:09 PM »
The main thing people complained about with Mario Party 9 is the increased luck factor, which is certainly my big problem with the game. But they shouldn't toss out cool ideas like the boss battles, those were a lot of fun. So that's what I mean, if they take out some of the luck elements and tone things down, and build on the other ideas, it could make for a great Mario Party game.

I agree that's the main problem.

However, a main problem with the series in general was how much a lot of fans were saying it was too "samey."

Mario Party 9 reinvented the wheel and shook things up considerably, and now a lot of fans are "we want it the way it was."
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2014, 07:19:09 PM »
A Metriod similar to prime hunters, but bigger, badder and more badass on the 3DS
Made you look ****.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2014, 11:20:40 PM »
Did you already forget about the Wario Ware, DIY last gen that allowed people to make their own Wario Ware minigames and trade them with others online?  A game like Stratos talked about isn't that far from what they did with Wario Ware.
I played some Jam with the Band last night and downloaded some songs. User created songs. Songs with titles like "sexual illusion" (or something like that).
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline terribledeli

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2014, 01:00:52 AM »
I played some Jam with the Band last night and downloaded some songs. User created songs. Songs with titles like "sexual illusion" (or something like that).

Pretty much the reason why I don't opt for that element of games any more.  Everyone was touting LittleBigPlanet's create and share functionality and how there were going to be millions of fantastic levels created by players like me!

In reality, there were maybe two or three really stand out levels and eleventy kajillion awful levels inspired by whatever was popular at the time. I remember having to stomach my way through at least a dozen "Mortal Kombat" levels that were highly recommended by the community.
NNID: terribledeli
3DSFC: 0645-5771-9850

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2014, 01:58:20 AM »
Pretty much the reason why I don't opt for that element of games any more.  Everyone was touting LittleBigPlanet's create and share functionality and how there were going to be millions of fantastic levels created by players like me!

In reality, there were maybe two or three really stand out levels and eleventy kajillion awful levels inspired by whatever was popular at the time. I remember having to stomach my way through at least a dozen "Mortal Kombat" levels that were highly recommended by the community.
User generated content was hip and cool back then. Publisher LOVED the idea that players themselves will create their levels for them and they only have to ship barebones engine.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2014, 02:31:48 PM »
I figured it out.

Title: Nintendo's Got Game!

Synopsis: It's like American Idol, America's Got Talent, America's Kidz Got Singing and other type shows where the home viewer votes for their favorite contestant. In this game, Nintendo randomly selects 32 games from their history and puts them into a competition bracket. Then you the player must quickly decide in 10 seconds which game is more worthy in each match-up until you finally reach the end and one game stands tall. The replayability will be phenomenal! Have friends over and all vote for each match-up or take turns and keep swapping between match-ups! Every week, Nintendo could have a weekly matchup for every-one to vote on. It combines two great things: Playing a game and judging a game.

Conclusion: I just saved Nintendo.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2014, 04:20:26 PM »
Realistically I would be happy if Hyrule Warriors turns out great and Watch Dogs actually impresses. beyond that there isn't much else on the horizon I am interested in and trying to predict what Nintendo will do is like picking the winning Powerball numbers, it doesn't happen often enough to put real money on.

If I had a Wii U a Mario Party game would be on my to buy list, but it isn't on that I will buy a Wii U to play unless it did something really great but it would require online as I am too far away from my friends and family right now to have any local fun. But I can see them pulling another minigame collection out before the year ends.

Trying to be a better person, honest.