Author Topic: New Splatfest Rules Make Western Debut This Weekend  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
New Splatfest Rules Make Western Debut This Weekend
« on: March 14, 2016, 01:47:55 PM »

2.6 is bringing some major changes to the competition.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/42282/new-splatfest-rules-make-western-debut-this-weekend

The most recent update to Splatoon promised new rules for the Splatfest, and the new rules will make their Western debut this weekend.

This weekend's competitions in North America (Snowmen v Sand Castles) and Europe/Australia (Hoverboards v Jetpacks) will replace the Vibe Meter with a Splatfest Power ranking. The base of the ranking will be the participant's Ranked Battle ranking, but the ranking will change depending on Splatfest performance. The matchmaking will attempt to match players of a similar Splatfest ranking, and the player / team with the highest Splatfest ranking will gain (or lose) more points at the end of each match.

The new rules debuted in Japan last weekend, with a Dragon Quest inspired "Attack v Heal" competition. Marie's Healers won the match 366-334 (54-46, 52-48), leaving Marie with a four match win streak.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: New Splatfest Rules Make Western Debut This Weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 09:36:15 PM »
I can't wait for Splatoon 2 where they should add 4 team battles.  I would love to see the meta game for such a competition. 

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 09:48:05 PM »
I will have to join in on the splatfest to see how the new system works

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 09:51:14 PM »
If this wasn't RIGHT at the end of my Midterm week, I would be playing to see these new rules. :(
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 10:58:15 PM »
This sounds like it could penalize those of us who never play ranked.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 03:18:14 PM »
This sounds worse than before.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 05:52:07 PM »

It did. I'm getting 3pts for a win while my roommate (A-rank) is getting 5 (+2 for 400 on both sides). #mrgrgr
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 08:16:11 PM »
Are they still doing Turf Wars? Splatfests need to branch out to other game modes by now.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 02:40:28 PM »
It did. I'm getting 3pts for a win while my roommate (A-rank) is getting 5 (+2 for 400 on both sides). #mrgrgr
Actually, I wouldn't say it penalizes anyone who doesn't play Ranked, but rather it's the opposite and rewards those who do play Ranked. In the old format, 3 points is the amount everyone got for a win, and now 3 points is the lowest amount given for a win at the lowest Power Level. Therefore, if you don't play Ranked, you're still getting the same amount of points as before. Also, since you get paired up with players of a similar Power Level, you're also far more likely to find opponents of a similar skill level. Plus, you can still raise your Power Level to earn more points.

That said, I still think ranking systems are stupid, but at least this one lets me reach max Splatfest rank more quickly and be done with it.