Author Topic: Episode 456: The Editor in the High Castle  (Read 3089 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
Episode 456: The Editor in the High Castle
« on: December 13, 2015, 07:42:00 AM »

Philip K. Dick didn't live to see the Game Gear, but if he did this would be his most harrowing alternate history

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/41645/episode-456-the-editor-in-the-high-castle

Despite it not being addressed in the introduction, Jon is out this week. James, Gui, and Greg soldier on without a substitute, focusing instead on producing the first episode of RFN in a post-telethon world. A quick word of thanks for all who participated gives way to New Business. James and Greg lead off with "early" thoughts on Monolith Soft's Xenoblade Chronicles X. To paraphrase, "If you're listening right now and you don't know what this game is, you're probably being forced to listen to this podcast." Guillaume follows with Camelot Software Planning nee Sonic! Software Planning's Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya, originally for the Game Gear, via the 3DS Virtual Console (RIP). He then turns his 3DS, and low expectations, towards BOXBOY! It turns out the HAL Labs puzzle-platformer is really good. Lastly, Greg has some words of concern for unlocking the seventh world of Chibi-Robo Zip Lash. Didn't know there is a seventh level? Not surprising. Heed his warnings within.

After the break, the trio turns to Listener Mail! Topics include the future of Final Fantasy on NX, predictions (uh oh) for the final Smash presentation, Nintendo patents (extendable computers, distributed computing, weird screen-based controllers, shoulder scroll wheels, etc), Nintendo's unpredictable 2015, and a volcanic eruption of bile over Nintendo Badge Arcade. You can project your magma-like bile into our mailbag.

If you have a few minutes, please do us a favor and take an audience survey. It's a bit long, so we appreciate your time. The survey will help us both understand the makeup of our audience and what they like/dislike. Thank you.

Lastly, if you missed any of last week's telethon, the entire show is now available for your listening pleasure. Check the RFN feed or here to catch up.

James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Kobeskillz

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 456: The Editor in the High Castle
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 04:32:04 PM »
I hear you say Lin kept over over to piss the boss off.

You can press X and command them to stay with you.

Also the tickets save you tons and tons of time because you can buy almost anything you need to finish a mission that needs a harvest. So instead of spending hours and hours looking for those times spend that time completing division missions for more tickets. :  )

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 07:07:17 PM »
Near the start of Harvest Moon DS the game asks if you want to help a certain character or not, and if you press no it rolls the credits and sends you back to the beginning of the game.

Well there it is, Miyamoto's new ip.
http://abload.de/img/fig1056s74.png

I think that for the Smash presentation Cloud can't be topped, so instead of quality it'll be about quantity. My brain says Shovel Knight, Wolf, Inklings then Jibanyan as the stinger, but my heart says please let it be Layton.

Here's an idea: What if the NX isn't actually a new piece of hardware? Rather it's two or more Wii U's that are connected together via cloud powered "duct tape".

It really irks me that the default option in badge arcade when you run out of free plays is "Definitely!" instead of "Actually No..." The rabbit though is a very interesting character, I find myself coming back to badge arcade more for the dialogue than I do the actual badges. If I was the person behind the writing I would go crazy and slowly drop more and more backstory into the conversations until years down the line you have established a rich lore surrounding the game center. Something like Rusty's Real Deal Baseball but a story that plays out over a couple of lines of text per day that encourage you to always check back everyday.

Offline InvaderREN

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 11:45:50 PM »
@Kobeskillz I haven't started playing yet, but this 'ticket' business sounds important! I'll be looking into that ASAP.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 12:56:19 AM »
I'm afraid to listen to this episode because my wife bought Xenoblade X Special edition for me for Christmas and I don't want to learn too much about the game

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 01:28:58 AM »
Please give me 5 good reasons to get a Twitter, because every time I see tweets, It's lulz-worthy or it pisses me off so bad I want to punch a hole in the wall.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 11:42:38 AM »
@leo13 Skip to about 37 minutes in to get past all new business segments involving Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 02:48:20 PM »
Hey guys I use the ps4 and vita connection for like walking dead season one. Works good on those games but unless you have a super fast connection  (which I don't) or for some reason love to play games with input lag (which I don't) then that feature doesn't work for every game or everyone.

Playing a bayonetta 2 on hard using the vita would make me want to cut myself. So there lies the problem.

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 02:50:46 PM »
@Kobeskillz I haven't started playing yet, but this 'ticket' business sounds important! I'll be looking into that ASAP.

Trust me this is a life saver! Instead of wasting 3 hours looking for one item for one simple mission that time is better served completing squad missions for ticket rewards. Much more fun and useful.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 09:38:23 PM »
The Residential District (I think that's the one James mentioned) definitely has the weirdest side missions so far. I'm not going to spoil anything, but there's a string of related ones that get really friggin' dark. This game is throwing some stuff my way that I didn't expect.