Author Topic: PAX East Panel -- RFN: A Live Nintendo Podcast for Grown-Ups  (Read 35084 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
PAX East Panel -- RFN: A Live Nintendo Podcast for Grown-Ups
« on: January 20, 2010, 06:12:48 PM »
Message from Penny Arcade Expo:

"Congratulations, your PAX East panel submission of "Radio FreeNintendo: A Live Nintendo Podcast for Grown-Ups" has been accepted.  We tentatively have you scheduled for Friday, March 26th from 2:30pm – 3:30pm in our Wyvern Theatre."

Here is the tentative description that I provided:

Radio Free Nintendo has delivered weekly discussion on all things Nintendo since mid-2006, in a convenient podcast format. This outspoken and funny group of Nintendo experts comes from the oldest and largest independent Nintendo website in the world, Nintendo World Report. We love Nintendo games, except when we don't, and we appreciate/criticize Wii and DS games in the context of multi-platform gaming. We know the best Metroid upgrades, the worst Zelda dungeons, and what makes Sin & Punishment sublime. We own more WiiWare games than you knew existed. And we're not afraid to compare Mario with Ratchet & Clank or Prince of Persia. Panelists include: Jonathan Metts, Greg Leahy, James Jones, Jonathan Lindemann, and Karl Castaneda (all of Nintendo World Report), plus special guests.

Before you make any travel plans, please note that we are awaiting confirmation from the entire RFN crew and others, like Karl, who may be participating. I haven't scheduled any special guests yet, either. And we have a lot of work to do to make sure that the panel can be recorded in an acceptable audio format to become a podcast later.

With all those caveats... we are really excited. ;-) Early word was that we probably wouldn't be accepted, so this is a very nice surprise. I hope that all our listeners planning to attend PAX East will be at our panel; we'd love to meet you in person and get your direct, live participation. I thought this thread could be a place to make plans, take suggestions on format and content, bask in the joy, etc.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 07:21:36 PM by Jonnyboy117 »
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: PAX East Panel -- RFN: A Live Nintendo Podcast for Grown-Ups
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 06:30:02 PM »
Dammit, now I have to rearrange my whole budget to see if I can find room for train tickets and hotel rooms. I wanted to go to this anyway, and the possibility of trolling Jon Lindemann in person is too good to pass up.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 07:17:09 PM »
Wow, congrats guys!

Awesome to see NWR getting some big name cred at PAX.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 09:53:52 PM »
Well, alright, then. I guess I'll be buying that ticket to Boston after all.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 09:54:39 PM »
I'll be there, somehow.  I've already booked the time off from work.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 10:25:26 PM »
Woo! NWR Party at PAX East!
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 12:44:10 AM »
Congrats! Glad to hear y'all got picked up, and looking forward to hearing what you guys pull off.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 03:15:43 AM »
That's so awesome. If I could afford it, I'd totally go.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 03:49:10 AM »
Cool, I look forward to hearing the audio version when you post it up.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 04:03:33 AM »
I completely missed the 'East' part and thought this was going to be in Washington again and was totally ready to attend...I doubt I could afford the tickets and time off of work.

I am excited that it is happening, though.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 08:45:13 AM »
Unfortunately, I'm not able to attend, which really sucks.  I'd love to be there to meet the other NWR staffers and lulz at some Cho Aniki jokes.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 12:10:43 PM »
Very, very cool.

Apologies for the stupid question, but how do these panels work at PAX? Is it basically a podcast that the attendees can watch as it happens? I remember reading GameSpot's blow-by-blow accounts of some of the panels at PAX 2009, but I didn't really get what they were all about.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 12:42:23 PM »
Panels can be about nearly anything. We proposed this one as a live version of our podcast -- essentially, the same idea that 1up Yours pioneered some years ago. The main hook is that we are Nintendo-focused, probably the only panel at PAX to be so. I hope we have a number of RFN listeners in attendance, but the majority of the audience will be new to the show and will probably have come because of what they saw in the event program.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 07:04:52 PM »
I remember hearing the 1up live cast. Pretty neat how the crowd made it sound like a live talk show.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 12:09:50 AM »
This sounds good, who is the NWR lineup? I really hope you guys get some schwag made up with the site URL on it. http://www.promopeddler.com/00-97/mushroom-shaped-stress-reliever-qqp328725.htm

protip: If possible, don't rely on PAX's recording equipment, it always sucked for 1upyours.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 03:41:35 PM »
Nice! Congrats.
Coincidentally, I just finished listening to the E3 2009 Day 3 podcast wherein Johnny talked about making a point of seeing the live 1UP podcast recorded there. I think I'll track that down for a listen as a sort of "free preview" of what may come out of PAX East from RFN.

I really like the panel description blurb. I'd go see that panel! I especially love the mention of "more WiiWare games than you knew existed." I suggest a hefty segment of the panel be focussed on VC and WiiWare. Some "hidden gem" discussions would be cool and I think the PAX East crowd may be appreciative of something like that. Just my $0.02.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline - NintendoFan -

• hay sup dudez i liek teh nintendo
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 08:43:41 AM »
Awesome, I will for sure be there.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 03:12:03 PM »
I will be there, but I'll be nothing but a gleeful observer of this I imagine. Four or five guest appearances don't really tie me to history of the podcast.

However, Live Newscast Podcast for PAX West? Hell yea! And by hell yea, I mean "Hell yea there will most likely never be any consideration for that outside of what I just said."
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 04:21:46 PM »
I want to know if there's going to be a DVD set for PAX East like they've done in the past for PAX.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline TAYREL713

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 09:10:27 AM »
So you are saying I get to meet Mr Dimond J in person, I was already coming to PAX East (driving in from Ohio) and this (along with a couple of other scheduled meetups) has me more than a little excited to be coming to the show. I have got to lock my hotel room down stat.
"I put my foot so deep in your ass the water in my knee will quench your thirst." (Ras Kass 'Miami Life')

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 11:54:48 AM »
That's great, guys.  I wish I were in a time of my life where I could pick up and travel to Boston on a whim.   I'll enjoy listening, nevertheless!
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline iDraTion

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 03:46:06 PM »
Great to hear guys.  Looking forward to it.  Might be cool if you guys had a planned discussion segment like you do on the podcast, could offer a subject for the Q&A, interactive directed discussion with listeners?  Might work well.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 04:14:41 PM »
Is TYP going?  I have to wonder if a Live Radio Trivia panel would generate any interest in a setting like PAX.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 04:17:23 PM »
On RFN #180 Jonny mentioned that he wants to do a live listener mail section with the audience.  If this takes place please do everyone a favor and repeat the question before you begin to answer it otherwise the folks listening at home won't have a clue what question you're addressing.  Thanks.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 04:49:57 PM »
We'll repeat the questions, for sure.

Status: Current lineup for RFN Live is Jon, James, Karl, and myself. Greg can't commit right now, but there is still a small chance he will be able to come. I have asked PAX East to reserve an extra chair for special guests, and Greg would clearly be first among those if he ends up attending.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!