Author Topic: Khushrenada's Annual Oscar Thread. 2020 Edition.  (Read 8850 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Khushrenada's Annual Oscar Thread. 2020 Edition.
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2020, 08:28:21 PM »
That's about 7 that seem to be pretty sure locks. Normally there might be 8 or so but everything else here on it. Has a catch or two.

My prediction: Khush goes 5  for 7 in his sure locks.

That seems like a sure lock to me!  ;D
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2020, 01:30:33 AM »
I liked Parasite, but I think it overwon.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2020, 01:50:31 AM »
That's about 7 that seem to be pretty sure locks. Normally there might be 8 or so but everything else here on it. Has a catch or two.

My prediction: Khush goes 5  for 7 in his sure locks.

That seems like a sure lock to me!  ;D

I went 6 for 7. What is with these sure locks?

Once again, no one else bothered to submit a ballot so guess I'm playing against myself. Let's see how I did.

Director: Sam Mendes (1917) Wrong. Bong Joon Ho (Parasite)
Best Actor in a Leading Role: Joaquin Phoenix (Joker) Right
Best Actress in a Leading Role: Renee Zellweger (Judy) Right
Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Brad Pitt (Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood) Right
Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Laura Dern (Marriage Story) Right
Best International Feature: Parasite Right
Cinematography: Roger Deakins (1917) Right
Original Song: Rocketman [(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again] Right
Original Score: Joker (Hildur Guðnadóttir) Right
Makeup and Hairstyling: Bombshell Right
Animated Feature: Toy Story 4
Right
Costume Design: Little Women Right
Best Documentary Feature: American Factory Right
Film Editing - Ford vs Ferrari
Right
Production Design: 1917 Wrong. Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood
Original Screenplay: Parasite Right
Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit
Right
Best Picture: Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood Wrong. Parasite
Visual Effects: 1917 Right
Sound Editing: 1917 Wrong. Ford vs Ferrari
Sound Mixing: 1917 Right
Animated Short: Kitbull Wrong. Hair Love
Live Action Short: The Neighbor's Window Right
Documentary Short: Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl)
Right

That gives me a final score of 19/24. 5 wrong. So close to 20. Could have done it to. Couple choices I knew I was risking things with and choose incorrectly. Animated Short seemed to be a two way race between Kitbull and Hair Love. I went with Kitbull because the academy often seems to like stuff with animals but I also knew Hair Love was getting a lot of media and attention which these shorts don't normally do. Sort of like Kobe's Basketball animated short which got attention on the way. Production Design also was me talking myself into the wrong choice because I couldn't point to any previous winner of outdoor sets and ruins. Yet, I just didn't think being around Hollywood sets or 60's buildings was any major feet of design either. Still, once One Upon a Time In Hollywood won for Production Design I was kicking myself on that choice. I swapped my sound picks from Ford vs Ferrari to 1917 and then the first sound award went to Ford vs Ferrari and I thought I blew it until 1917 won the Sound Mixing award. I've split sound awards before and lost both or the same film won for both so I thought I'd play it safe and I guess 1 win is better than 2 loses. That gave me 4 out of 6 for the dreaded 6 categories so that makes a difference in winning.

Aside from the three losses in Production Design, Sound Editing and Animated Short, the rest of the night was going by pretty smoothly and predictably until we got to Director with like 3 or 4 awards left to go. Ironically, that was the first award I listed in my highly certain practically sure lock category. There'd been no indication that anyone other than Sam Mendes was taking that award. Maybe the Academy took a look over his directed efforts and decided they weren't good enough to be a two-time Oscar winning director? Whatever the case, it is very rare that the Academy bucks the Director's Guild Award winner for someone else.

Once that happened, my mind began to wonder if Parasite might actually pull off the impossible and win it all. It now had Best Screenplay and Best Director plus, checking the list, it did have a nomination in Film Editing. When it was announced as the Best Picture winner, I laughed about what I said earlier of my futility in actually being able to predict the Best Picture winner no matter what I do and just did not see the Oscars breaking tradition to finally award a foreign film Best Picture especially since they've had them relegated to their own category for decades to win there. But I was happy to be wrong on that call. Parasite is a great film. Still, before those sudden Parasite victories at the end, I thought I'd be 20 or possibly 21 out of 24 tonight but just missed out on cracking the 20s.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2020, 01:51:01 AM »
That makes the best showing I've had in awhile and I was above my usual average of 16. Totals from past years:

2014: 20/24 (Still my best here)

2015: 14/24 (My worst show in years)

2016: 16/24 (Average)

2017: 16/24 (Average)

2018: 16/24 (Average)

2019: ???

2020: 19/24 (Better)

How disinterested was I in movies last year? I never even bothered to go back to my Oscar thread and do my total so I'll have to figure that out later. But I do think I it was a bit lower like 15 or 14 even which may be another reason I never put forth any effort to go back to it.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2020, 02:30:57 AM »
I liked Parasite, but I think it overwon.

It only won 4 Oscars but they were big ones. Best Picture and Best International. Best Director. Best Original Screenplay. 4 Oscars isn't a big thing. It's one more than Green Book got last year which only won 3. Heck, even more ridiculously, Bohemian Rhapsody got 4 Oscars last year so it technically won more than Green Book. Going by total, Parasite is as good as Bohemian Rhapsody. 1917 won 3 Oscars, Joker won 2, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood won 2, Ford vs Ferrari won 2, Marriage Story won 1, Little Women won 1, and Jojo Rabbit picked up 1. The Irishman was shut out  and I got no problem with that. (Although Bong Joon Ho may have made Scorcese feel a bit like a winner with his speech that led to a standing ovation for him which was a nice moment.)  I haven't got to it in my reviews but I am on the Parasite train and liked it quite a bit among these nominees but I wouldn't say it overwon aside from also getting the International Award. Like I said in my breakdown of the various award races, if Parasite were to win Best Picture then maybe the academy would vote for a different film to win best International. So, it would have been nice if something else could have won there but since no one knows if it would have enough votes to win Best Picture are you then going to not vote for it to win International so it at least has a consolation prize?

It's no different than the 1946 Academy Awards giving an Honorary Award to Harold Russell for his role in The Best Years of Our Lives. He was not a professional actor and considered a longshot to win so they gave him a special award for his role in the movie only for him to end up winning Best Supporting Actor anyways. When you can't be sure of the results then you just might be able to pull off the Double Victory!! Maybe this will mean Animated Movies can get nominated for Best Picture again and maybe someday win there! (Inside Out should have been a BP nom a few years back.)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2020, 02:38:11 AM »
I didn't post mine, but here is what it would have been

Director: Quintin Tarantino (Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood) Wrong. Bong Joon Ho (Parasite)
Best Actor in a Leading Role: Joaquin Phoenix (Joker) Right
Best Actress in a Leading Role: I watched none of the movies selected to have an opinion
Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Brad Pitt (Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood) Right
Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Laura Dern (Marriage Story) Right I didnt see the movie but there was some buzz
Best International Feature: Parasite Right
Cinematography: Roger Deakins (1917) Right
Original Song: I didnt think about this one
Original Score: Joker (Hildur Guðnadóttir) Right
Makeup and Hairstyling: Bombshell or Joker Half Right
Animated Feature: Toy Story 4 Right
Costume Design: Joker wrong Little Women
Best Documentary Feature: I didn't think about that one
Film Editing - I didn't think about that one
Production Design: Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood Right
Original Screenplay: Parasite Right
Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit Right
Best Picture: 1917Wrong. Parasite
Visual Effects: End Game Wrong. 1917
Sound Editing: didn't think of this one.
Sound Mixing: didn't think of this one.
Animated Short: didn't think of this one.
Live Action Short: didn't think of this one.
Documentary Short: didn't think of this one.

My problem with Parasite is that while it was well made it seemed like a glorified Lifetime movie. I watch those with my mom all the time. They're terrible. This was like one of those but if it was well done. I don't think the twists were that big. It had some pretty good social commentary, but I expected more from it based on the reviews. I expected it to take a sci-fi route. It just had a second level of psychophantic relations. In the trailer the lower class were talking about how they thought the upper class were stupid and gullible, the most that came out of that was a heightened sense of smell. I wish the rich turned out to be reptile people. I've seen plenty of "there's people living secretly in your house movies" the beginning of the movie reminded me of the show The Riches, which is about a bunch of grifters stealing a house and committing tons of fraud. I loved the Father's speech at the shelter. It's reminiscent of Heath Ledger's Joker speech at the hospital in Dark Knight. It's pretty original the combine a grifting movie with a "there are people secretly living in the house" movie. The closest I've seen to that is Black Magic Mansion which is a gang of robbers sneaking into a haunted mansion movie

With 1917. I have not seen it, but I know that it's all continuous like the best scenes of Children of Men were. But I don't think there's been a bombs and war movie that was in this style. That sounds amazing. So, cinematographically it should have won big.

With Costumes I think Little Women looks completely stereotypical. It looks like other version of the movie and plain similar to movies of this period. The movie looks like a bigger budget version of other movies. Once upon of time in Hollywood had some really good costuming. Particularly the party scene, Cliff and Rick's outfit. Jo Jo rabbit has the same problem that Little Women has in that it's a period movie, but they did do some stuff with the tones and colors to differentiate it from other movies about nazis. Joker I think was bold. They ditched the purple costume and still made it work. They made this one different and memorable. They went against the grain but forced people to love it.

Makeup I put Half Joker and Half Bombshell. Bombshell made those actresses look just like those news anchors. That's amazing. Joker. Clown makeup is surprisingly difficult. You have to make sure not to have the same makeup as another clown for copyright issues. He didn't continue other looks. He was reinvented. If he was in black and white he'd look like the grim reaper. But it's probably more amazing to turn Charlize Theron into Megay Kelly.  In the long run I don't think many people will be getting Charlize Theron as Megyn Kelly tattoos.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 03:27:11 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post