Author Topic: Metroid Other M  (Read 418887 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Metroid Other M
« Reply #725 on: July 22, 2010, 02:09:24 PM »
Seriously? It's still July.

The game launches on August 31, so I'll probably get my review copy a week in advance and post the review on launch day or whenever the inevitable embargo drops.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: July 22, 2010, 10:22:58 PM »
Being in Australia, I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to US release dates.  Though yes it is still a bit early now I know the release date. 

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #727 on: July 23, 2010, 01:12:21 PM »
Australia? Wow. I admit to being jealous--you're surrounded by a treasure trove of reptiles and archaeic mammals.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: July 23, 2010, 02:31:51 PM »
Also platypus.

Don't forget platypus.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #729 on: July 23, 2010, 03:36:45 PM »
What part of "archaeic mammals" doesn't include the platypus?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: July 23, 2010, 03:50:49 PM »
The part that's not a real word.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: July 23, 2010, 05:15:23 PM »
I flip into this thread randomly, and people are talking about sexualizing Birdo (OHGAHMYEYES). Randomly flip to this page, and people are talking about platy...pi (?) and Australia.

GET ON TOPIC PEOPLE, I WANT TO READ YOUR TOTALLY REHASHED/REGURGITATED THOUGHTS ON METROID OTHER M.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: July 23, 2010, 05:36:22 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IxtUUF-iNo (Part 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHZFwdApitM (Part 2)

Now subtitled.

Great videos. The developers give the philosophy behind their game and yet reco'nize that it's an important franchise; they discuss the need for the fire button to immediately fire despite the need to animate it quickly, the no doubt many cutscenes to come, and trying to 'womanize' Samus; the part about the context-sensitive actions, like a defensive jump or a 'fatality' attack make this game at least sound pretty unique.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #733 on: July 23, 2010, 06:04:25 PM »
Well, Team Ninja certainly knows how to "womanize" their characters. I look forward to that, anyway.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: July 23, 2010, 06:13:42 PM »
I wonder if this game is successful will Team Ninja work on a Ninja Gaiden game for the wii?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: July 23, 2010, 08:08:37 PM »
GET ON TOPIC PEOPLE, I WANT TO READ YOUR TOTALLY REHASHED/REGURGITATED THOUGHTS ON METROID OTHER M.
All right, here you go:

Metroid Other M will be the best Metroid game since Metroid Prime, which wasn't as good as Super Metroid, which isn't as good as Metroid Other M.

I wonder if this game is successful will Team Ninja work on a Ninja Gaiden game for the wii?
No.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: July 23, 2010, 08:16:11 PM »
More like a Ninja Gaiden game for the 3DS I'll bet. Wii is becoming close to a lame duck console now. I doubt we will have very many major releases coming out after this year for Wii besides the possible Dragon Quest X (which may or may not actually come to Wii at this point).
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: July 23, 2010, 08:21:02 PM »
Why does everyone act like the 3DS is the successor to the Wii?

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #738 on: July 23, 2010, 08:31:23 PM »
It's not a successor, it's just that it's more powerful than the Wii.  Which makes the Wii look terrible in terms of being a home console.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: July 23, 2010, 08:38:38 PM »
Have the specs of the system even been released?

They're two different markets, basically, I don't think anyone will be comparing the two. Nintendo certainly isn't going to ditch the Wii gold mine in favour of 3DS projects; if anything changes, it will move to Nintendo's next home system, if it's coming soon. And it might just be.

As for third-parties, they aren't going to favour the 3DS over Wii any more than they favour the current DS over Wii.

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #740 on: July 23, 2010, 08:40:21 PM »
True.  But I would think with the shader capabilities of the 3DS, it's going to appear more powerful... and honestly, it does.

I think Dragon Quest X is going to move over to Nintendo's next console, though.  No 3DS.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #741 on: July 24, 2010, 09:05:05 PM »
Fewer polygons, more effects than GameCube or Wii.

Actually, on a smaller screen, you're not going to notice the anti-anti-aliasing.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 25, 2010, 02:18:32 AM »
Meh, I'll wait until it's out for a final judgment. Still very negative though.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: July 25, 2010, 11:29:39 PM »
Played Metroid at Comicon. Enjoyed the voice acting and the graphics very much. Auto shooting is awesome and the D-Pad in 3D space is just fine. No one else was complaining either. It was very difficult for me to get used to pointing the remote though. I saw many people have trouble with it as well. Because the host kept telling people to aim by pointing. She didn't know what the heck she was talking about, because in many of those sections auto aim was what was necessary. I realized I just could not point at the screen in such a quick draw fashion. But I did see one kid playing, he made it look effortless. I just watched and watched, I think he played several times and just understood it better than anyone else.

I played just enough to learn how to dodge and do epic moves, which was really awesome because I didn't have to rattle my brain over complex buttons. A super plus in my book.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 11:16:58 AM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #744 on: July 26, 2010, 12:44:19 AM »
Caterkiller, you made me very happy.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #745 on: July 26, 2010, 01:00:31 AM »
One more mention about the 3DS: The anti-aliasing is to improve the 3D effect. There would be a weird wobbling effect around the outline of every curved surface if the pixels don't line up. Smoothing the lines will make for a clear representation, even at a small level.

Metroid:
I don't think I'm sold on Samus having a voice. The voice over in a video I saw made me think 'That's not what she is supposed to sound like'. I have years of a pre-determined voice for her though.

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #746 on: July 26, 2010, 09:09:53 AM »
I've always pictured Samus sounding something like Sigourney Weaver. :P
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 26, 2010, 01:51:47 PM »
As for third-parties, they aren't going to favour the 3DS over Wii any more than they favour the current DS over Wii.

Because there are a lot of Resident Evil games on the DS. Or, you know, any of the other major games that third parties have announced for the 3DS.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #748 on: July 26, 2010, 01:56:01 PM »
DS has had a lot of major third party games too.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: July 26, 2010, 04:33:55 PM »
Nintendo Power sent me a really cool Other: M poster for having a subscription. One side has her in the power suit with zero suit Samus standing at the side with the image of outer space in the back ground. The other side of the poster has Samus in her power suit pinning down a reptilian creature and preparing to blast it with her gun. By Team Ninja developing this game, I wish they would have included a swimsuit poster of Samus with big boobs.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.