Author Topic: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 186  (Read 13341 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 186
« on: March 07, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
This episode combines a wonderfully diverse set of New Business games with four excellent listener questions.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/podcastArt.cfm?artid=22701

Episode 186: Emotionally Yours    

Download in AAC Format        Subscribe to AAC Feed    

Download in MP3 Format        Subscribe to MP3 Feed    

Subscribe via iTunes (Please rate and review, too!)    

Let's cut to the chase: New Business has Mega Man 10, Brutal Legend, Global Agenda, Raiden IV, Dragon Age, Bionic Commando ReArmed, and Bleach: Dark Souls. Whew!    

A full, and fully awesome, Listener Mail segment includes your questions about fixing Wii Music, Virtual Console Arcade vs. Xbox Game Room, the spectrum of emotions in gaming, and the value of DSi XL.    

Heading to PAX East in March? If you can stand to miss part of Chris Kohler's panel or Wil Wheaton's keynote, please consider attending our own panel, Radio Free Nintendo: A Live Nintendo Podcast for Grown-Ups. Jonny, James, Jon, Karl, and Mike will be in person to discuss Nintendo games and take your questions, directly from the audience! There are also plans to have a social gathering with RFN fans that weekend -- check the forum thread for details. If you can't make it to PAX, don't worry! We plan to record everything for the podcast feed.    

We're always looking for great Listener Mail to read and discuss on the show, so please send your questions or comments! (We really love seeing your praise and feedback regarding the show itself; however, in the interest of time, we may edit your letter to be read on the podcast.)      Credits:    

This podcast was edited by Greg Leahy.    

Music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo is used with permission from Jason Ricci & New Blood. You can purchase their newest album, Done with the Devil, directly from the record label, Amazon.com, or iTunes, or call your local record store and ask for it!    

Additional music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo is copyrighted to Nintendo, and is included under fair use protection.  

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Re: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 186
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 06:30:05 PM »
Apologies in advance for the rather muffled quality of my personal vocal track this week. Unfortunately, the charger for my laptop that I normally use for recording has broken, so I had to record on a netbook for this week's episode, and it has an inferior mic input that makes the audio quality suffer when using the same headset. This should be resolved for next week's episode, hopefully you can bear with it for this week.
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 06:32:52 PM »
Apologies in advance for the rather muffled quality of my personal vocal track this week. Unfortunately, the charger for my laptop that I normally use for recording has broken, so I had to record on a netbook for this week's episode, and it has an inferior mic input that makes the audio quality suffer when using the same headset. This should be resolved for next week's episode, hopefully you can bear with it for this week.

From your dangerously high standards i'm sure this is just a minor slip to "extremely good" ;)

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 06:55:36 PM »
Still better than 95% of podcast! Listening right now!

Jonny, I think your lieing that you put Mass Effect 2 in for 5 minutes and stopped it. Just from what happens in the first 30 minutes of that game that absolutely blow your mind I think it's impossible to stop it that soon.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 07:01:19 PM by kraken613 »
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 07:34:43 PM »
As always great show, thanks for yet another entertaining episode!

I don't appreciate the complete dismissal of an entire genre whenever roguelikes are brought up on the podcast. I am glad that Jonny is willing to try one, and it appears that James may be playing up how he feels about these games for entertainment's sake. Still, those that enjoy them aren't necessarily idiots for liking them and don't need to sustain monk-like lifestyles to do so.

With regards to Dragon Age, I know that James played the 360 version and I can't attest to its quality. From what I have read the 360 version tries to make you play it out like an action game which is simply isn't. On the PC version that I enjoyed, the party members' behaviors were highly customizable and it was simple to control them so that you didn't have to depend on their AI if you did not want to. I found that the game required quite a bit of tactical thought, and while it wasn't dependent on mechanical skills it did challenge the player intellectually. (I suppose this is the response that Jonny predicted in the podcast)

The new business did get me interested in Raiden IV, I am going to try and pick up a copy of that.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 10:26:21 PM »
Raiden IV is great.  Just a straight-up vertical-scrolling shooter with big explosions and tons of enemies.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Dropkik

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 10:56:20 PM »
Good show guys, just two things I gotta say though.  First off I really wish you guys wouldn't eat on mic, I know it's a nitpicky thing and I'm sorry but it's gross as hell to hear someone try to talk with a mouth full.  Second (for James specifically) Dragon Age is a PC game, the console versions are sloppy ports. On the PC the AI is much better to say nothing of the controls.  However if the console versions are your only option I recommend you spend a lot of time setting up your combat tactics as that will fix most of your problems.  Still though the game was meant to be played on a PC where you can pause the action and manually cue up attacks and spells.

Keep up the great work guys!
Dancing on the rain-slicked precipice of pretension

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 12:23:08 AM »
I never noticed them eating.... lol

They are just doing this for our enjoyment and the quality is leagues above any other podcast that I think they should eat as often as they want.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 03:56:01 AM »
The music in BrĂ¼tal Legend gets worse later on but it makes sense in the context. The game is basically a battle of the metal genres where the noble humans represent classic heavy metal, the human traitors hair metal, the undead goth metal and the demons nu metal (or something). You hear the enemy's songs during the battles against them so the more evil a genre is the more annoying the music during their battles. I hate bands like Cradle of Filth so destroying their legions of emo zombies is even more satisfying.

What I found strange is that I ddn't see Manowar's Fighting The World in the soundtrack since that includes the line "the enemy is a metal we can't forgive!" so it'd be a fitting song for a battle of the metals.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 10:13:58 AM »
I highly recommend Brutal Legend to any current or lapsed metal fan.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 10:55:21 AM »
I liked the music but the game was kinda weak so I'm not sure about recommending it.

Wasn't Band Brothers localized as Jam Sessions?

Offline mjafyx

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 10:59:38 AM »
I've been playing Shiren on Ds too. It's an acquired taste of course but I've been quite addicted to it. It's great in short session and don't focus on actually finishing it.
Spelunky on pc is a great twist on the rogue genre.
http://www.spelunkyworld.com/
It's a 8-bit style side-scrolling action game with great interaction between items and enemies. Quite worth playing.

In term of music games. I was hoping for Nintendo to do a sort of Electroplankton wiiware game. There was 2 or 3 concepts in there the i could create some quite interesting ambient stuff. I don't really care for the karaoke, repeat the patterns, type games.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 11:43:20 AM »
I was shoving tacos in my face during the first half of this podcast, and I apologize for that.  However, I got home from work late and pretty much jumped straight on the headset, so I had no choice but to eat during recording.  I'm usually more discreet, but this time I was so hungry I just didn't care.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 12:21:38 PM »
I was shoving tacos in my face during the first half of this podcast, and I apologize for that.  However, I got home from work late and pretty much jumped straight on the headset, so I had no choice but to eat during recording.  I'm usually more discreet, but this time I was so hungry I just didn't care.

Really? That's your excuse! I pay good money to listen to thi.... oh wait. John eat all you want, I didn't even notice and if I had who cares?

I don't want to sound like I am giving you permission to eat, it is your show and this shouldn't be an issue at all. Doesn't anyone here go out and talk to people while they are eating? It happens, people eat.
Bless you, my child.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 12:41:51 PM »
Instead of making Wii Music +, Nintendo should update Mario Paint-style game, include an updated Mario Composer, as well as a pared-down Wii Music implementation into that disc instead.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 01:19:28 PM »
I liked the music but the game was kinda weak so I'm not sure about recommending it.

Wasn't Band Brothers localized as Jam Sessions?

No, Band Bros. is totally different from Jam Session.

You're right about the Brutal Legend soundtrack getting worse over time, due to the structure of the game. I think they should have used dynamic mixing for stage battles, so that your side's music would get louder in the mix based on how you are doing in the battle.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 01:19:38 PM »
Great show as always, gents! I turned off Brutal Legend after the first RTS segment and haven't looked back. It was such a clusterf*ck that it totally ruined the game for me. Jonny's right--I have very little control over what's going on. The interface is too simplistic, and it takes too long to do anything.

It's also hard to tell who YOUR guys are and who the ENEMIES are, because they all look the same, with different color swaps! WTF?!?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline GregLover5000

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Shatterglass.net
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 03:33:22 PM »
Hell yes, Bleach: Dark Souls! I love that little game.

I picked it up new knowing virtually nothing about the manga/anime; which is problematic, since in the story mode there's a clever triva contest. The "floor" of the dojo is divided into two tiles (true or false), and you have seconds to fight your way to the correct tile after being asked a question; wherever your body lands when the buzzer sounds, that's your answer. There are also nifty "decks" you can create to assist you. For example, you can tap a card to prevent the opponent from swapping between the two planes, or tap another card to stop the timer.

I'm now a total Bleach-head, but you don't have to be to appreciate the game.

P.S. I didn't know what a Rogue-like was when I purchased Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja, but once I wrapped my head around the concept, damn, I really enjoyed it. That is, until my cartridge died. That's right: usually in a Rogue-like you die and lose all your items; me, I got to the bonus dungeon at the end, and then my cartridge died and I really did lose everything.

Offline adadad

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 03:39:53 PM »
Aha, I heard Johnny eating at one point but didn't notice anyone else doing it. That must've been some pretty stealthy snacking Jon! Anyway I don't think it's bad at all, eat all you like as far as I'm concerned (so long as it doesn't interfere with speech, like it does with me when I eat flapjack at work and end up coughing down the phone, unable to speak). Does the person who was disgusted never eat meals with other people?

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 05:59:02 PM »
Fine, fine, I'll stuff my face every episode then.  It'll be my schtick.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 11:19:20 PM »

You're right about the Brutal Legend soundtrack getting worse over time, due to the structure of the game.

You guys are crazy, or maybe you just don't like metal.  As a blue ocean metal fan myself, I'd say they captured the spirit of the sound over the decades.  Especially with that menu, wow, so slick.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 12:42:15 AM »
As I said on the show, I do not like metal in general. The early stuff in Brutal Legend is at least more grounded in classic rock and is often melodic (more or less), so it's a lot easier for me to tolerate and occasionally enjoy.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 01:22:32 AM »
As I said on the show, I do not like metal in general. The early stuff in Brutal Legend is at least more grounded in classic rock and is often melodic (more or less), so it's a lot easier for me to tolerate and occasionally enjoy.

Well if you like Melodic metal you would enjoy Dark Tranquillity's "Haven" album and In flame's "The Jester Race" or even Winstersun's self-named album! Although, I am guessing you didn't mean melodic death metal  ;D
As a metal fan, I was disappointed with the selection in Brutal Legend but mostly because I like that niche subgenre of melodic death metal. I know they did put Dark Tranquillity in there, but in their promo video they classified it as black metal which showed that they really didn't think it through that much (I know, splitting hairs, but its like saying Mario is the same as Mega Man). When I'm not listening to metal I am listening to string quartets by Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich and the like because I find that they are very similar to what I enjoy in my metal.
Bless you, my child.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 02:22:26 AM »
My idea of good metal is probably Black Sabbath and very limited portions of Umphree's McGee (usually tucked away in decidedly non-metal songs).
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 02:37:38 AM »
My idea of good metal is probably Black Sabbath and very limited portions of Umphree's McGee (usually tucked away in decidedly non-metal songs).

Understandable, most metal goes out of its way to be outright unpleasant.

(added) I just got some Best Buy coupons in the mail and I could get a DSi XL for the same price as a regular DSi. I am so tempted now!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 03:10:29 AM by greybrick »
Bless you, my child.