Author Topic: Wii UK Trade Price to Increase  (Read 2454 times)

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Wii UK Trade Price to Increase
« on: March 11, 2009, 07:43:46 PM »
The slide in the value of the British pound has prompted action by Nintendo to recoup, and retailers are left to decide where the burden of the price hike will fall.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=17957

In order to compensate for the decline in UK revenues associated with the sliding value of the pound, Nintendo has decided to increase the trade price for Wii by around £19. Speaking to MCV, a Nintendo UK spokesperson stated, "due to the severe and continuing depreciation of the pound, we are, unfortunately, having to raise our trade price to UK retailers of Wii hardware."    

Retailers will be left to decide how this move will affect the price consumers pay for Wii, which has previously remained in line with the £179.99 recommended price set by Nintendo when the console launched in the UK during December 2006.    

The pound sterling has lost around a third of its value against the Yen over the past six months, dramatically affecting the profitability of the British market for Nintendo. Price increases for new software on both Wii and DS have not been ruled out.    

However, Nintendo has stated that they "do not expect to have to change the trade price we charge retailers across for the DSi or DS in the UK in the foreseeable future."

Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Wii UK Trade Price to Increase
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 06:16:04 AM »
Yikes. I hope nothing like that happens in the States. I know we've been having financial issues as well but we haven't seen such a thing here yet.
I feel bad for you guys, especially if they raise game prices too.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 07:24:59 AM »
Jeez, I had no idea this had been going on specifically with UK's economy. Does this mean that the UK might finally join the EU? (Repricing the Wii would be a cinch for Nintendo, then; it could just price it whatever it does in the other EU countries.)
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 12:17:49 PM »
Jeez, I had no idea this had been going on specifically with UK's economy. Does this mean that the UK might finally join the EU? (Repricing the Wii would be a cinch for Nintendo, then; it could just price it whatever it does in the other EU countries.)

It's already a member of the EU, it just doesn't use the Euro currency (it's up to each country in the EU to decide if they want to use the Euro or not).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
Yeah, the Wii price in the UK fell to US levels due to the exchange rate, they've got to rectify that!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 12:50:31 PM »
It's tumbled dramatically in the past few months.

October 2007 it was £1:$2.10.
Now its £1:$1.35.
Even the £ to € is nearly 1:1.

It's just become more expensive for us lot to travel nearly anywhere. Nintendo should count themselves lucky because they sell tons anyway.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 01:49:41 PM »
I support this price hike.  Other countries need to continue to subsidize my video game purchases!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 03:13:40 PM »
Yeah, the Wii price in the UK fell to US levels due to the exchange rate, they've got to rectify that!

Don't UK retail prices include VAT?  That would mean the UK price actually fell below the US price, which is listed pretax.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 05:44:07 PM »
It's tumbled dramatically in the past few months.

October 2007 it was £1:$2.10.
Now its £1:$1.35.
Even the £ to € is nearly 1:1.

It's just become more expensive for us lot to travel nearly anywhere. Nintendo should count themselves lucky because they sell tons anyway.

Sounds like now is a good time for an American like me to buy all the European band merch I've been eying. Traveling there should be cheaper for me to. Plus if I go and spend money there, or at least order stuff from the UK, won't that help boost your economy a bit?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast