Author Topic: iPhone gaming- actually viable  (Read 14223 times)

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone gaming- actually viable
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2008, 06:58:41 PM »
Hey for some people blending in with what's popular and fashionable is easy and natural and is part of who they really are.

I don't know if I'd say that's who they really are, so much as they are just naturals at throwing up such facades.

Oh, and coffee does taste like crap. I can tolerate (tolerate!) it with ice cream, but that's about it.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2008, 10:12:12 PM »
Coffee tastes like crap, but I drink it (with a rather large amount of sweetener) because when you make it yourself it's the cheapest source of caffeine. And Morari, your hatred of Apple has confirmed to me that you are my exact opposite.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2008, 10:18:10 PM »
I have a hard time not thinking lowly of anyone that would buy an iPhone, as the price and useless features negates any semblance of necessity that mobiles telephones could have (as stated above). Then again, Apple is good at marketing hype and little else... just look at the iPod. If anything, the iPhone's existence goes even farther in proving my point that mobile telephones are more of a fad than anything. At least I only had yuppies to dislike a decade ago--only lawyers and brokers could afford them. :P

I have an even harder time not thinking lowly of people who are thick headed enough to think that their opinions are the only ones that matter.

So you feel a device has useless features and anyone associated with buying it is pretty much a tool?

Perhaps you should realize that *gasp* the device has features that people actually use and enjoy.

Just as the iPhone might not be for everyone maybe the Wii isn't or maybe a certain TV isn't or maybe a watch isn't or w/e innanimate object fits the bill.

Different people have different needs and wants in life, who are you to really judge a person on a single item they own?

Just a thought.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2008, 10:21:33 PM »
And Morari, your hatred of Apple has confirmed to me that you are my exact opposite.

Hatred? I think that Apple's fad machines are sleek and spiffy looking.:P Also, I think that occasionally abandoning all backwards compatibility so as to move forward (ala Mac OS) is good. Likewise, having a set specification for your computer hardware certainly makes coding easier, even if the high prices and proprietary nature of said computers sucks.

So now that we're archenemies, we'll just have to decided who is the villain and who is the hero(in)...

I have an even harder time not thinking lowly of people who are thick headed enough to think that their opinions are the only ones that matter.

So you feel a device has useless features and anyone associated with buying it is pretty much a tool?

Perhaps you should realize that *gasp* the device has features that people actually use and enjoy.

Just as the iPhone might not be for everyone maybe the Wii isn't or maybe a certain TV isn't or maybe a watch isn't or w/e innanimate object fits the bill.

Different people have different needs and wants in life, who are you to really judge a person on a single item they own?

Just a thought.

Touchy touchy. Do you own an iPhone, by chance? I don't think "needs" cover anything of the sorts, whether it be cell phones, televisions, or Wiis. Well, maybe wee-wees. Besides, my opinion matters when those of others disrupts the greater good of society and life in general. Duh. :P
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 10:23:25 PM by Morari »

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2008, 10:29:20 PM »
Yes I do own an iPhone, it's a 1st gen and it fits my business needs.

I'm not touchy I just don't think any sort of generalizing for well anything is really intelligent. It screams ignorance.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2008, 04:14:13 AM »
I'm a casual forum poster
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2008, 02:04:42 PM »
Touchy touchy. Do you own an iPhone, by chance?

Even better--Mashiro works at an Apple store.  ;D
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2008, 02:15:41 PM »
Oh, and coffee does taste like crap. I can tolerate (tolerate!) it with ice cream, but that's about it.

Coffee is amazing and tastes delicious. Any sugar added completely ruins it. Black or with some cream/milk is the only acceptable way of consuming it.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2008, 03:47:17 PM »

Coffee is amazing and tastes delicious. Any sugar added completely ruins it. Black or with some cream/milk is the only acceptable way of consuming it.

I recently learned to drink coffee black. While I was teaching computer use my students would make coffee for themselves. One day they offered me some and since I was getting sleepy I drank some. From them on I learned to drink my coffee black.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2008, 03:58:29 PM »
awful.

I drink V8 Splash.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2008, 04:34:53 PM »
Oh, and coffee does taste like crap. I can tolerate (tolerate!) it with crack, but that's about it.

I completely agree.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2008, 05:04:19 PM »
But hopefully a hot peice of jackass, right?

I'ma tappin' that jackass! :D

But seriously, I BOUGHT her the iPhone so technically I'M the jackass (was it ever in question?).

I never bought myself one because I don't have enough need for it and any time I'm on the road for a while she's generally there with me and she'll look stuff up on the internet for me. The 3G model sounds interesting...until you realize that 3G is only available in major cities right now.

Once I start traveling on a regular basis, I'll probably get myself a 3G, just to be in constant connection with my email, internet, etc.

As for cellphones being a BAD thing, I heartily disagree. I don't play cellphone games and I likely never will, but the convenience of having a means of contact that travels everywhere with you is just too good to pass up for me.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 05:07:19 PM by Smash_Brother »
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2008, 06:33:12 PM »

thread over, thats all i needed to know.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2008, 07:39:59 PM »

Photos and/or videos, please!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2008, 10:57:42 PM »
My phone makes calls

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2008, 01:01:47 AM »

So I can end/mitigate any thread/argument simply by posting that?

Handy...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2008, 11:10:20 AM »

So I can end/mitigate any thread/argument simply by posting that?

Handy...

No, everyone can keep arguing about whatever the hell they want, i was uninterested until you mentioned tapping that jackass, but theres no need for further details so the thread is over for me.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2008, 11:14:04 AM »
No, we cannot continue arguing about whatever we want. Stop being so contradictory!

Offline redgiemental

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2008, 03:49:01 PM »
I also generally have a bottom rung phone. It's just a phone and I have other areas more in ned of my money. Also I have an Ipod thats much better for listening to music on and a Canon camera that is many many times better for taking pictures so what extra features do I need on my phone anyway.

The main thing that tempt me about the Iphone was having a decent useable browser in my pocket. It has other nice features but this was the one that mattered to me.

I don't have the cash for an Iphone and certainly not for the Iphone call plans so its a moot point. I'm happy enough tto have a phone that is a phone for the most part anyway.

As for the main topic, yeah some decent games might be made for the iphone but i think the interface will generally hold the platform back from anything too exciting. Only so many tilt and sub-DS quality touch games can do. 

Offline Smakian

• View Profile
    • Twitter Feed
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2008, 08:02:43 PM »
As for the main topic, yeah some decent games might be made for the iphone but i think the interface will generally hold the platform back from anything too exciting. Only so many tilt and sub-DS quality touch games can do. 

Honestly, having used both, I think the multi-touch interface on the iPhone is more sensitive and analog than the one on the DS. That, and the gesture support really opens up what you can do with it.

I think what's happening now is that the iPhone isn't really being used by big publishers, but it's becoming another outlet for the indie games community, like Wiiware, XBLA and PSN. So the distribution of good games and crappy ones is pretty similar.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Mine are just the correct ones.

Offline redgiemental

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2008, 10:37:53 AM »
I meant have to use your big fingers and that getting in the way more than a thin little stylus to be honest.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2008, 06:15:39 PM »
A girl from work let me play a crash bandicoot racing game on her iphone. the tilt controls were decent but tilting the screen you're looking at to play a game like that isn't the way to go IMO.

thats why i dont fully support the idea of waggle in the next nintendo handheld. It will be different though because the next handheld, even if a ds re-design with larger, more sensitive screens, will have more buttons than an iPhone, so control schemes can be better implimented that combine some form of waggle. On the iphone though, a game like that Crash Racing where tilting is your only option, just doesnt work (again, IMO. Some of you might have the game and be fine with it because you played it more than one race)