Author Topic: Mega Man 9 (WiiWare)  (Read 96429 times)

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Man 9 (WiiWare)
« Reply #275 on: September 23, 2008, 06:38:04 AM »
In about 30mins this game is going to be released to the masses.I heard if this game is successful Capcom will do different games in this style.See Who is getting this?

I hope if this sells well Nintendo makes an 8-bit Mario game.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #276 on: September 23, 2008, 08:57:33 AM »
I'm hoping for a Mario: More Lost Levels, or something like that as well.  Mega Man 9 is giving me that great  old feeling I got earlier this year playing through Lost Levels.  So far, I've beaten Magma Man, Tornado Man, and Concrete Man.  Plug Man's level seems incredibly hard!  I'm loving this game.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #277 on: September 23, 2008, 09:58:50 AM »
I would just like to say one thing about this game, it made me feel like a kid again. Honestly, I had felt like I just got back from the video game store and was playing a brand new NES game.

It really succeeds at it's goal of not only being a REALLY good Mega Man game but it also succeeds in making you feel like you're playing a real, quality NES game.

Super pleased and super happy.

A MUST DOWNLOAD.

I agree with all of this. I sat there playing it and I felt like I was in the basement of my childhood home playing my NES. It was amazing and a feeling a game has never evoked for me. I booted up the game and hit the robot select screen and just got giddy.

It won't be a game for everyone, but anyone who grew up playing Mega Man NEEDS to buy this game.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 23, 2008, 10:12:17 AM »
In about 30mins this game is going to be released to the masses.I heard if this game is successful Capcom will do different games in this style.See Who is getting this?

I hope if this sells well Nintendo makes an 8-bit Mario game.

Does SMB1 really need more levels than SMB2j added? The engine is fairly limited, there's not much that can be done with it that hasn't been done. More SMB3 levels were in the GBA version... Really, it got NSMB, that's good enough. Mario doesn't need to go NES-level retro because unlike Megaman it didn't start sucking on the SNES. Maybe Sonic needs to go Genesis-retro but the GBA and DS games are already close enough...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 23, 2008, 10:26:29 AM »
Practically nobody got to play the new SMB3 levels in SMA4, though, because of the whole e-Reader thing. I even had an e-Reader and I didn't get to play them because I never found the cards. Nintendo should take those levels and make some more of them and release them on WiiWare. And this has been covered in other threads, but no, the GBA and DS Sonics are not close enough to the Genesis ones.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 23, 2008, 10:32:53 AM »
Does SMB1 really need more levels than SMB2j added? The engine is fairly limited, there's not much that can be done with it that hasn't been done.

I refuse to believe that Nintendo couldn't create another stellar game out of the SMB engine.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 23, 2008, 11:31:21 AM »
I think there's more potential for newness in an 8bit Zelda or even Donkey Kong. Think about it, we might not get another 2D Zelda ever otherwise.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #282 on: September 23, 2008, 11:34:30 AM »
First day sales of Megaman 9 is 60,000 which beats all but 6 games lifetime sales.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 23, 2008, 12:05:29 PM »
I agree with all the statements saying this game makes you feel like a kid again. I couldnt stop smiling even when i got killed for the 10th time in the same spot becuase it was so awesome to be playing a brand new Mega Man game as if the last one i played was yesterday.

I played them all mind you, and not once (aside from the first time i played MMX) did i get that feeling of "wow... a brand new mega man"
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #284 on: September 23, 2008, 12:56:05 PM »
Zelda has already been done with the Oracle games.

What I would really love is for Capcom to make the next Mega Man X game for WiiWare with Super Nintendo graphics and a return to the awesomeness of X 1-3.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #285 on: September 23, 2008, 01:42:07 PM »
I agree that this game makes me feel like a kid again. When ever I start the game up I listen to the title screen.I feel Happy afterwards.
Currently I am in the third area of Dr.Wily's Castle. In the first area I was stuck  at where there are 3 beams of fire moving from left to right and I asked Mashiro what to do.I don't want to give it away but one of your weapons can stop them temporarily.Stone Cold.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 23, 2008, 03:00:51 PM »

What I would really love is for Capcom to make the next Mega Man X game for WiiWare with Super Nintendo graphics and a return to the awesomeness of X 1-3.

Don't forget to give it awesome music. I can't speak much for MMX3 becuase i never had a chance to play the original, and the version on the X Collection had remixed music, but 1 and 2 had some amazing tracks that still get stuck in my head.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #287 on: September 23, 2008, 04:11:03 PM »

Don't forget to give it awesome music. I can't speak much for MMX3 becuase i never had a chance to play the original, and the version on the X Collection had remixed music, but 1 and 2 had some amazing tracks that still get stuck in my head.

X1/2 came out at time when Capcom was able to produce EPIC music in the iconic sense (includes Street Fighter 2 themes).  X3 wasn't awful like electro-lame-dance X4 and on, but the soul was pretty flat and the melodies had little appeal nor complexity.  Nowhere near the fantasticallity of:

Chill Penguin
Storm Eagle
Flame Mammoth
Spark Mandrill
Armored Armadillo
Launch Octopus
Boomer Kuwanger
Sting Chameleon
Dr. Light
Boss Battles
Sigma Stages
Ending
THE WHOLE DAMN GAME
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 23, 2008, 04:31:42 PM »
To be honest, X2's music felt much weaker than the first X game.

Not to say it was bad but it just felt different.

X1 just hit it right on the head with nearly every musical piece it had. Though I think there was a change in musical talent between X1 and 2 which would explain the difference.

X3 was certainly the weakest of the bunch of SNES X games but as others have said it was no where near the level of poor music that the latter X games saw.

With that said, a return to greatness for the X series would be most welcome. If Capcom could do it with MM9 I am sure they could do it with the X series as well.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 23, 2008, 06:40:56 PM »
To be honest, X2's music felt much weaker than the first X game.

Not to say it was bad but it just felt different.

X1 just hit it right on the head with nearly every musical piece it had. Though I think there was a change in musical talent between X1 and 2 which would explain the difference.

X3 was certainly the weakest of the bunch of SNES X games but as others have said it was no where near the level of poor music that the latter X games saw.

With that said, a return to greatness for the X series would be most welcome. If Capcom could do it with MM9 I am sure they could do it with the X series as well.

I agree, X2's was a step down from the amazing soundtrack X1 had, not all the tunes were as memorable, but its still a kick ass soundtrack.
I also agree that everything after X3 had terrible music. Even the remixes of the good tunes from X1/2 were trash, and the tunes they used were made of pure win!

Pure Win + X (Interger not the character) = Win

Meaning that take something made of pure win and mix it together, the outcome isn't as good as the Pure Win alone, but its still Win.
 Somehow Capcom managed to take to do this:

Pure Win + X = Sh*tty Garbage
Where X = Sh*t

it boggles the mind!

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 23, 2008, 07:28:16 PM »
Yeah X2 still had some kick ass music (Zero's theme comes to mind . . . actually the whole zero sigma scene with the music was just pure greatness ^_^).

I also love your math lol it makes perfect sense!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 23, 2008, 07:46:58 PM »
Yeah X2 still had some kick ass music (Zero's theme comes to mind . . . actually the whole zero sigma scene with the music was just pure greatness ^_^).

I also love your math lol it makes perfect sense!

Thanks. Normally i suck at math but i made an exception in this case ;) if that makes any sense

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #292 on: September 24, 2008, 09:15:39 AM »
The thing is the Retro Design will not work with all franchises.

Mega Man is special.  Look at the graphics, it is obviously dated, but the style is so great that it still feels fresh and special.  Not every 8-bit game can have that feel. 

I believe Mario still can, but I don't believe the same about Sonic. 

It has to be truly, truly iconic characters that are special. 

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 24, 2008, 12:56:10 PM »
RETRO KID ICARUS PLEASE, ITS ABOUT TIME oh wait..

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 24, 2008, 02:15:54 PM »
The thing is the Retro Design will not work with all franchises.

Mega Man is special.  Look at the graphics, it is obviously dated, but the style is so great that it still feels fresh and special.  Not every 8-bit game can have that feel. 

I believe Mario still can, but I don't believe the same about Sonic. 

It has to be truly, truly iconic characters that are special. 

I dunno, I disagree.

I think the whole thing about the retro design that works is, at it's core, it's really not about the graphics. More so, it is about the overall package you are getting. Great gameplay, music and stage design. At the end of the day the core of the game is what matters and not so much the graphics.

Give us a good sonic game with the style of sonic 1 and 2 (or 3) and I think we could see similar results.

Now why is the "retro design" important? I think the main thing the retro design does is place limitations on the developers. In a good way. For example, the developers forcing themselves to use the mechanics of Mega Man 1 and 2 only made Mega Man 9 a more rich experience.

It brings the game and its design back to basics and I think that's why this could work for most 8 and 16 but franchises so long as it's done with the same care that Capcom has put into Mega Man 9. If every developer treats the game as if it's their next big game to be released on a system and not just a retro rehash we could see some truly great series revivals on our way.

I for one am crossing my fingers that this does happen ;)

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #295 on: September 24, 2008, 06:43:18 PM »
I found a great place to get screws and 1ups.Once you have the Jewel Satellite go to Plug Man's stage. When the level gets dark and you go through the moving block area,past the E tank and four weapon energy.There is a area that enemies keep coming out stand where you are directly under where they are coming out, use the Jewel Satellite and watch the screws and lives pile up.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/96/jewelmanzo8.png
^This is where you stand
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 24, 2008, 06:51:22 PM »
isn't that right before the one little shaft that looks like you can get a big screw if you had the slide abilty?

so far thats the only instance in the game where i noticed something like that, somethign inaccessible until you buy the DLC...

Offline shammack

• "This space intentionally left blank."
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 24, 2008, 06:56:52 PM »
You actually don't need the slide ability.  You can get that by using the Hornet Chaser.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #298 on: September 24, 2008, 07:10:38 PM »
No the place you are talking about is near the beginning of the level.I am talking about it is dark and there are those Black Megamans running around.

Also you can use one of your special attacks to retrive far away items.

EasyCure what bosses have you beat?

Yes you can use the Hornet Chaser to grab items.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 24, 2008, 07:35:10 PM »
No the place you are talking about is near the beginning of the level.I am talking about it is dark and there are those Black Megamans running around.

Also you can use one of your special attacks to retrive far away items.

EasyCure what bosses have you beat?

Yes you can use the Hornet Chaser to grab items.

Oh ok, i was wondering if there was an item like that or not, because it was too blatant of a tease to leave it there (without needing an item to get it).

So far i've beaten:
ConcreteMan
GalaxyMan
SplashWoman
JewelMan

I might beat one more tonight after work, but who knows.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 10:01:02 PM by EasyCure »