Author Topic: Mega Man 9 (WiiWare)  (Read 96274 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Man 9 for WiiWare announced by Nintendo Power
« Reply #250 on: September 22, 2008, 02:45:30 PM »
I think scoring it by NES standards is too broad reaching in this case. It isn't trying to emulate NES games as a whole, it's trying to emulate its predecessor in particular. They have said that it's a spiritual successor to MM2, so why not use that as the measuring stick?

Because MM6 (the last NES MM game) looks a lot better than MM 2.

but was no where near as good as MM2 ;)

we can do this allll day
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 22, 2008, 02:52:21 PM »
When we're talking about a graphics score, it doesn't matter how well it plays.  All that matter is how well it looks.  And MM2 is the worst looking NES MM game besides the original.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #252 on: September 22, 2008, 02:52:42 PM »
So I just beat Splash Woman. Really fun battle. I am going to try my hand at Magma Man.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #253 on: September 22, 2008, 02:57:28 PM »
Meh this argument is ridiculous. If they wanted it to look like MM6 I'm sure it would've, but clearly they didn't want it to. They are playing on people's nostalgia for 2, so IMO if it graphically captures that same essence of 2 it should be commended for it.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 22, 2008, 03:13:40 PM »
Regardless, if they give MM1 and MM2 graphics scores in the 8's, and MM9 is a graphical equivalent to those two games and is literally made to look just like, or maybe marginally better than, those games, why score it a 3.0?

It's madness!!!
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 22, 2008, 03:23:57 PM »
Meh this argument is ridiculous. If they wanted it to look like MM6 I'm sure it would've, but clearly they didn't want it to. They are playing on people's nostalgia for 2, so IMO if it graphically captures that same essence of 2 it should be commended for it.

This.

I was kidding you you (vudu) when i made the statement that MM6 kinda sucks. It was beside the point, just like the fact that MM6 looks better than MM2 is besides the point. Capcom have said over and over again what their intentions are and thats Recreating a spiritual successor to MM2 which is regarded as the best MM in the original series (and pretty much of all MM series).

The game is made for nostalgia's sake. They set a goal of making basically a new MM2, not just a new MM in the original series that HAPPENED to be 8-bit.

I honestly think this is a genius move on capcoms part and not a "lazy cash-in" like alot of people clame it to be. Answer honestly:
Do you really think anyone would care about Mega Man 9 right now if it WASN'T in 8-bit/MM2 style?

I'll tell you right now there's only one right answer: No

MM9 in 16-Bit + "hardcore/Core/Fan reaction" = "WTF LAMERZ GRPHX MM7 SUCKED"

MM9 in 32-Bit + (Same as above) = "They could of done better.../MM8 sucked!"

MM9 in current gen 2d/3d (HD or not) = bombed sales due to no one wanting to play a pretty game thats gameplay hasn't changed in 20 years.

Face it, the original MM series has been dead for years, killed off by its own spin-offs, and some would even say its own repetitive gameplay. Anything new would go unnoticed or unappreciated, but at least with this throw-back to the old days of when people still thought MM games were GOOD, people are taking notice.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #256 on: September 22, 2008, 03:27:07 PM »
At least it's priced appropriately, unlike Wario Milk Shake.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 22, 2008, 03:43:09 PM »
At least it's priced appropriately, unlike Wario Milk Shake.

That too. If Capcom wanted to rape consumers they would of released this as a retail game (probably without any of the known DLC) at full cost. I don't know why i bother, if someone wants to white and complain, theres nothing any of us could say to stop them.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Mega Man 9 (WiiWare)
« Reply #258 on: September 22, 2008, 04:44:50 PM »
Ok I beat Concreteman and Hornetman. Hornetman himself is no threat but his underlings are the pain.Once you deal with them it is a piece of cake.Concreteman reminds meof Hardman with one of his moves. You just have to dodge the cement that he throws at you. If you can do that it is a pretty easy battle. I really like the weapons you obtain from the bosses. So useful.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #259 on: September 22, 2008, 06:07:05 PM »
God why must Plugmans level have those disappearing blocks! I have three stages left Magmaman,TornadoMan and PlugMan. I can reach Magma and tornado man easily put I can't beat them. On Plugman his stage is a problem. Which should I approach first?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 22, 2008, 06:24:16 PM »
has anyone else had trouble downloading this...?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 22, 2008, 06:30:34 PM »
Someone should write a review like it's 1985 and they're playing this game.

"MegaMan 9 is for the Wii Entertainment System.  Your parents help you hook it up!"
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 22, 2008, 06:49:56 PM »
will you let us call you and you act like you're the Nintendo Power Hotline?

and seriously.. anyone else having trouble downloading the game or should i just throw my wii out the window?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #263 on: September 22, 2008, 07:00:14 PM »
lol gamespy servers

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #264 on: September 22, 2008, 07:52:26 PM »
I seemed to get this one quicker than any other game I've ever downloaded. So nope, no problems here.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #265 on: September 22, 2008, 08:12:03 PM »
Well I beat the eight bosses. I guess I will get to Wily tomorrow.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 22, 2008, 08:15:13 PM »
I seemed to get this one quicker than any other game I've ever downloaded. So nope, no problems here.

Super Mario RPG took about 30 seconds (fastest download) and Harvest Moon took about a minute.

Two hours later and i finally got MM9, after many failed attempts. Weird thing was, i hit download (for th 18th time) and 5 or 10 seconds later i hear mario/luigi hitting that block like a mad man from the other room. Made me wonder if the download starts all over from 0% when something like this happens or not, cuz that was really fast..

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 22, 2008, 08:22:22 PM »

Same here. The internetz hatez youz Easycure.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 22, 2008, 08:41:19 PM »
it really does. First i cant use the forums then this happens. oh well i'm enjoying getting my ass handed to me.

havent gotten past the third elephant in Concrete Mans stage cuz i think i'm too cool and play as if i know every nuance of this game already ;)

Good job Capcom!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #269 on: September 22, 2008, 10:36:55 PM »
This game is so awesome, it is currently dominating my life.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #270 on: September 22, 2008, 10:43:26 PM »
How man Bosses have you beat Mr.Jack?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #271 on: September 22, 2008, 11:30:45 PM »
So I started my game off with Concrete Man.  Went thru 2 gameovers before finally beating the stage.  After my first gameover, I went thru the stage without dying.  Then got to Hardon Man.  Wow.  Fun move-n-shoot patterns.

Makes me miss the Metroid Prime series.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #272 on: September 22, 2008, 11:36:05 PM »
How man Bosses have you beat Mr.Jack?

3 - Galaxy Man, Splash Woman and Jewel Man.

I've also played Hornet Man's level and got my **** wrecked a few times and then decided it was time to take a break.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #273 on: September 23, 2008, 02:01:18 AM »
I felt so proud for getting through Plug Man's level, then he kicked my ass!  Must not have the right weapon yet...  I beat Galaxy Man, Concrete Man, and Splash Woman with the buster.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 23, 2008, 02:32:54 AM »
WOW . . . I LOVE this game.

I forgot how much I missed 8 bit gaming. The newness was just a breath of fresh air!

I got up to the last Wily stage but man did it take a lot to get there.

Many many many many deaths . . . each stage took a lot of practice at some areas just to get to the robot masters (and then they would kick my ass).

Lots of fun, worth every penny.

I hope they make more games like this and maybe even other companies will begin to do the same if this sells well.

I am pumped it's just so much fun, welcome back Mega Man. Welcome back.

Edit: I would just like to say one thing about this game, it made me feel like a kid again. Honestly, I had felt like I just got back from the video game store and was playing a brand new NES game.

It really succeeds at it's goal of not only being a REALLY good Mega Man game but it also succeeds in making you feel like you're playing a real, quality NES game.

Super pleased and super happy.

A MUST DOWNLOAD.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 02:46:49 AM by Mashiro »