Author Topic: Sega!  (Read 6908 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Sega!
« on: February 03, 2003, 05:03:58 PM »
Sega has been giving everyone ports. Old games. Take Sonic adventure battle and dx and skies of arcadia...they all have taboo becaus ehtye are dreamcast ports. If Sega wewre to make mroe new
games they wouldntr have this type of Taboo. Do you know how big Sonic Adventure 3 would be.
I mean it would be designed for next generation systems. I bet it totally would be a hit. Not passed up.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline SC5

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Sega!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2003, 05:09:54 PM »
I hope Yuji Naka will be more involved with it then. Those clips of Sonic Adventure DX really made my jaw drop, but, I can only imagine what a completely new Sonic game on this current generation of consoles will look like.

They really need to stick to Sonic's speeding levels and let go of...well...everyone else. And cut the cheap storylines and dialogues while they're at it. Bring back the oldschool Dr. Robotnik endangering the world thing, atleast it didn't make me shudder like Amy's voice.
If my post doesn't make sense, come back in 5 minutes.

Offline Modulus-X

• View Profile
Sega!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2003, 05:18:48 PM »
I bought two Sega games this week, Skies and Beach Spikers.  I want more new games!   There hasn't been a single original game released for Gamecube by Sega, they are all ports of previous games (that I can recall).   Ugh, hopefully we shall see something soon!
-=[Modulus-X]=-

Currently Playing: Zelda: The Wind Waker, WarCraft 3 Expansion Beta, Star Wars Galaxies Beta

Offline deminisma

• View Profile
Sega!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2003, 05:27:50 PM »
Not a single original game?

Beach Spikers
Super Monkey Ball
Super Monkey Ball 2
F-Zero

Offline epicac

• View Profile
Sega!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2003, 05:31:08 PM »
I'm not usually a grammar-nazi, but that first post was painful to read.

Sega has released two exclusives in Super Monkey Ball and Super Monkey Ball 2. Those were not ports. I'm not going to say I'm disappointed with Sega's offerings because I love Skies of Arcadia Legends, but all the Sonic ports are a bit much. The latest  Penny Arcade says something about this topic.

Is Beach Spikers a port? If so, what system was it originally on?  

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
Sega!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2003, 06:11:08 PM »
I don't see the problem with porting the Sonic Adventure games. Looking at sales, it obvious not many people have played these games. It is also Sonic on a Nintendo system. If you told me Sonic was going to be on Nintendo 10 years ago, I would probable laugh. Hopefully, once there done with the port they can make a new game.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
Sega!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2003, 06:55:19 PM »
I wouldnt mind Nights into dreams 2. Loved the saturn version...

Offline Tman

• View Profile
Sega!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2003, 07:06:20 PM »
Almost every single game sega has released on the cube has been a port, (super monkey ball - arcade, beach spikers - arcade) the only game i can think of that isn't a port was Super Monkey Ball 2

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Sega!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2003, 11:26:18 PM »

Originally posted by: epicac

Is Beach Spikers a port? If so, what system was it originally on?

Well, it was originally an arcade game. I spose that counts as a port *Shrugs shoulders*

Besides, I see nothing wrong with these ports. Unlike other companies, Sega put some quality time into these conversions.

Offline "Sky"

• View Profile
Sega!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2003, 07:45:55 AM »
I honestly don't see the problem with Arcade ports... I mean... how many of us here actually go to the arcades regularly?

Besides, we're getting Soul Calibur II later this year and that's already in the arcades. Let's start complaining that it's an arcade port

On a serious note though. These games are ports but they are either:
A) Arcade Ports
B) Dreamcast Ports

As much as I love the DC and think that it was incredibly underappreciated, porting these games does allow those who missed them on the DC to be able to try them out (although I would kinda prefer if they just left Sonic Adventure 2 on the DC ). Although I want Sega to bring over new games to the GCN as much as the next guy. Hopefully E3 will show some new stuff from Sega for the GCN. There's only so many games they can port

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Sega!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2003, 10:13:57 AM »
I think the problem with Sega was that they were too daring and original with the Dreamcast and that resulted in a game library that was critically acclaimed but lacked mainstream appeal.  Sega is now in a position where they can't afford to release many duds saleswise so they're playing it safe and ports of Dreamcast titles that do have mainstream appeal are a pretty safe bet.  A Sonic game will sell so release one as fast as possible and a port of title few people played is a good choice.

Besides PSO was technically a sequel to the Dreamcast version that also came with the first game.  There just wasn't many differences between the Episode I and II.

Oh and Soccer Slam was completely original.

I am pretty fed up with the Sonic thing though but that's more of Sonic Team issue than a Sega one.  Sonic Team has been the most port happy of all the Sega developers.  I hope they have something big planned to make up for the lack of original content.  There's no way PSO Episode II and the Sonic ports have taken up all of their time.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Sega!
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2003, 01:16:03 PM »
imagine if you knew mario 128 was coming out in say 2005....but you knew sonic 3 was coming out in 2004.....a killer app(since its new) would be the hold over you crave!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
Sega!
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2003, 06:33:22 PM »
SEGA is just plain lazy. Throw in a dose of being short on cash and voila, you have the NEW SEGA.
To broke to develop new games and too lazy to care.
IMO SEGA's days are coming to an end, and I for one say good riddence.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline "Sky"

• View Profile
Sega!
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2003, 06:46:44 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Sonic Team has been the most port happy of all the Sega developers.  I hope they have something big planned to make up for the lack of original content.  There's no way PSO Episode II and the Sonic ports have taken up all of their time.

Yeah, I'm wondering on that too. Hopefully they really do have something big in development rather than just being lazy.
Former better than latter

DX certainly is taking quite a while as well

Oh well. E3 will surely drive back the shadows and reveal what is to come (or at least that's what I'm hoping).

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
Sega!
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2003, 10:40:39 PM »
Thay may of been playing with the XDKs because of their port of PSO to Xbox. But I agree their sould be something in the works. But you have to say that Sonic team has been the most active with releases compaired to the other developers.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Jamesinclair

• View Profile
Sega!
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2003, 02:18:55 PM »
SMB was in arcades, and Ive played it, but its VERY different..graphics suck, and its just the main game.

Remember this about arcade ports: if they were released on the DC arcade unit (I forgot the name, sorry) theyre technically DC games. Beach Spikers wasnt, so its console exclusive.

SMB2 is new.

So is SSS.

Sonic Mega Collection is esentially new.

So are all the sport titles.

Virtual Striker was new.

PSO episodes includes the 2 DC games, but has the whole new game.

At this point SEGA cant risk much...JSRF was paid for by MS, but if not, it would have been a big money hole for SEGA. Until they get more stable financially, theyll keep making GC ports...and PS2.
PS2 has Tennis 2k2, Rez, and Sega Bass Fishing 2, all DC titles.

Dont forget SEGA is developing Virtual Fighter Quest and Fzero.

Taking over the boards one post at a time

Offline YoungLink

• View Profile
Sega!
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2003, 03:05:13 PM »
Now that they cancelled all the sports games for cube.....i just dont give a F!CK about them anymore.

F!CK THEM and all there sucky games

theyre going down the barrel, thats why they cancelled sports games, its the end

Offline marcos

• View Profile
Sega!
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2003, 04:45:26 PM »
Sega certainly is a different company than what they were just a few years ago.  It seems that now  their goal is to release their games on the system where they'll sell worst (xbox) and lose the most money possible.

But at least we're gettin Skies of Arcadia Legends.  I'm in serious need of a good rpg.

Offline Celsius

• View Profile
Sega!
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2003, 10:39:53 PM »
It's true that we're getting ports but THANK the Skies that we got Skies of Arcadia Legends.....damn that game is so freaking good.

Anyways.....

the only non ported games we got were

Super Monkey Ball 2
Sega Soccer Slam
Home Run King
and Virtua Striker 2002

Others such as Super Monkey Ball and Beach Spikers have been in arcades but.....the versions are quite difference.  It's possible that Super Monkey Ball was built from the ground up but I have no evidence.  

I don't mind the ports (because we got Skies) but try to add some new content too....  Oh well, we have Skies!
"What! Sarah, look not upon me with doubting eyes." - Motoko Aoyoma (Love Hina: Mystery Guests at Hinata Hotel)

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
Sega!
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2003, 06:30:45 AM »
monkey ball was not built from scratch.

They only important original GCN only SEGA games are Super Monkey Ball 2 and episode 2 of Phantasy Star Online.

Whoever said Sonic Mega Collection is essentially new....What the heck? It's not new at all? It's not even the first sonic collection! There was one on Saturn...
And sonic mega collection was a dissappointment to me. They left out the best sonic game, Sonic CD. And what about sonic R? There is more than enough room to put every non dreamcast sonic game ever created on one GCN disc. Yet they say that Sonic CD wasn't included because there wasn't enough space. What a load of crap. The PC version of Sonic CD was about 100 Mb. All the Genesis games combined are not even 100 Mb. That's about 200. Sonic R wouldn't be more than 100 megs either.  

Offline Icons by Size

• View Profile
Sega!
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2003, 07:05:52 AM »
i agree with you SC5, when i played the demo of sonic adventure for dreamcast...it was the first level.  the level was a sonic level where you just ran really fast to the end.  i thought it was great fun. then when i played the real game and there were all these other characters and you didnt just run to the end of the level....i thought it was a terrible game.  
Deftones own.

Offline penfold

• View Profile
Sega!
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2003, 07:40:32 PM »
It was a terrible game. However, it was much worse for me since it was one of those first games that had that manufacturing defect that caused the game not to load. I did eventually get the game to play, but only after the 100th or 101 time opening and shutting the CD door. The game was just another attempt to make a Mario 64 type game, and it was boring. Guess the defect was the first nail in the coffin for the Dreamcast.

Offline jme

• View Profile
Sega!
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2003, 08:25:16 PM »
You know, you people keep saying how lazy they are because all they've released essentially are ports of other games.

Are any of you programmers for next-gen consoles and arcade machines?

Was that a ressounding "No" I heard?

Right, so until you actually KNOW how much work it takes to port a game, why don't you stop being so harsh on a company that has produced some of the biggest hits for the Gamecube. I'm not saying it's this long drawn out ordeal. I honestly don't know, just like the rest of you. But I highly doubt its as easy as opening the file and clicking on the "Save As..." menu and selecting "Gamecube" from the list. Besides that a lot more goes into a game than just porting it. There's tons of other factors like bug testing, which can take quite a bit of time. Then there's getting together enough money to print enough copies of the game, which includes cost of discs, packaging, and international distribution.

And by the way, that first post was an actual murder of the english language.
and i ain't lyin' neither!

Offline loserfish13

• View Profile
Sega!
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2003, 12:40:37 PM »
Namco approached Sega for a merger.  You can find all the boring details on IGN. But how would that affect Nintendo, and Gamecube? And what happened to poor old Sammy? Also, what would happen to the Triforce? It would be the "biforce"!
Animal Crossing:
Name: pj
Town: terrytwn

My collection:
myurl

My Wishlist:
my

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
Sega!
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2003, 01:19:00 PM »
Actually, just my thoughts, but if (big "if" there) Namco and Sega did merge, i think it would improve the relationship between Nintendo and Namco/Sega.  Namco and Sega (Sonic Team mostly) have been extremely kind to Nintendo of late.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St