Poll

What device do you use most to Netflix? (choose all that apply)

Game Console
22 (42.3%)
Smart Box (AppleTV, Roku, Blu-Ray player)
10 (19.2%)
Smart Phone/Tablet (& Chromecast)
8 (15.4%)
Smart TV
3 (5.8%)
Computer/HTPC
9 (17.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: All Things Netflix! Coming Soon: The Netflix Experience, Live and In Person!??  (Read 323428 times)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Re: All Things Netflix! Now With Original Programming!
« Reply #400 on: August 18, 2014, 09:46:17 AM »
I use my game consoles, though I've been using my Chromcast much more often since its my default hdmi plug in.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #401 on: August 18, 2014, 10:00:24 AM »
PS3 is my Netflix access, along with the WWE Network.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 18, 2014, 11:07:34 AM »
I use PS3 or Chromecast. My Wii U isn't on nearly enough to find myself wanting to use it.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 18, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »
Considers where I'm at really.

PS3 is the main one for the whole house.
PC or PS4 upstairs in my room.
Though I get a huge amount of use with Netflix on my Windows Phone.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 18, 2014, 01:13:30 PM »
I'm a huge fan of my Roku. I haven't used Netflix or other video services on any of my game consoles in a long time because I like that experience a lot more.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: August 18, 2014, 01:15:04 PM »
With the expection of the xbox one and chromecast i think netflix is the same UX everywhere now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 18, 2014, 02:35:42 PM »
Not exactly.

Wii U is different than my Roku
my TV is slightly different and Win 8 is different than that.

I've even noticed that certain devices get certain covers for certain titles while others don'e.
Like It's Always Sunny has a different cover on the DVD player in the livingroom than it does on the DVD in the bedroom.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 18, 2014, 05:22:51 PM »
With the expection of the xbox one and chromecast i think netflix is the same UX everywhere now.
Windows Phone is different and in a lot a ways Superior from all of them.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 18, 2014, 08:34:32 PM »
My mom has a windows phone,  and I have not even been able to figure that thing out...  Not to even figure out where the apps are.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:37:43 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 19, 2014, 11:32:20 AM »
My mom has a windows phone,  and I have not even been able to figure that thing out...  Not to even figure out where the apps are.
I'm going to help you out here.

Put the phone in you Left Hand.
Take you right hand and put it on the Main Screen.
Move your finger Left.
Magnifying glass on Top Left if you want to search.
Number or letter block if you want to just jump to an area.
Hold Finger on the Icon to bring up the menu to pin, uninstall, send to kids corner, etc.

Now that we're in where all the apps are hit the nearest latter.
Pick S.
Scroll down to Store to get more apps.

That's the really basic.  Settings has more.  Like you'll probably want to turn Battery Saver on so it goes into Heart Mode when the batter is low.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 19, 2014, 12:13:40 PM »
Maybe I should clarify,  I didn't bother to really figure it out (I should show you a pic of her phone...), and I couldn't find a single app I searched for (so I assume they don't have a lot of the same apps as android).

But thanks for breaking it down for me .

Edit : pic of her phone
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 12:29:42 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 19, 2014, 12:56:59 PM »
To this day I still don't know how people break their phones so damn much.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 19, 2014, 01:22:37 PM »
Considering the drops mine has had did she run over it?

Most of the Nokia phones at least are pretty durable.

Yeah in general the App selection is not on par with Android and iOS.  Part of that is most of what people do that phone does fine from the base but, it's a shame.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 20, 2014, 05:43:50 AM »
It's a Windows Phone, I am not sure what everyone is expecting to get out of it other than terribleness. Nokia phones were durable until the company ran itself into the ground.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 20, 2014, 08:45:47 AM »
It's a Windows Phone, I am not sure what everyone is expecting to get out of it other than terribleness. Nokia phones were durable until the company ran itself into the ground.

Wasn't the company already on a downard spiral that wouldn't have been fixed if they stayed with symbian or went android. They would have been entering a market that was pretty mature where only a few players do well, and they're relationships with the US market at the time were worse than sony's at the time which is saying something.

Nokia was screwed either way, at least thos way we can see some more devices made by them.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 20, 2014, 11:05:13 AM »
Considering the drops mine has had did she run over it?

Most of the Nokia phones at least are pretty durable.

Yeah in general the App selection is not on par with Android and iOS.  Part of that is most of what people do that phone does fine from the base but, it's a shame.

No, she didn't run over it. it dropped, landed on a corner and that's where mostly 90% of that damage came from. the rest was from subsequent drops where pieces of glass and plastic are now missing. Screen still works fine too. It's just that the UI is terrible and I hate trying to use her phone. Now maybe that's because I refuse to learn it since I'm on android, but even she can hardly figure it out.

Considering both me and my sister have Android phones, I'm still baffled as to why my sister would pick that phone out for my mom, as no one is familiar with it, so it barely gets used as a phone and no smart phone features ever get utilized on it.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 20, 2014, 12:12:32 PM »
Really?

If I didn't like you BnM this post would have been a lot different.

Suffice it to say I'm very surprised to find anyone whose used any smartphone having a hard time with it.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 20, 2014, 01:34:36 PM »
I'm a tech guy and I adapted to other OSes fine but for some reason the differences on phones are even more jarring. I can stumble through an Apple interface but Windows phones just feel foreign. Call it me getting old and stubborn, but I don't feel like going through a tutorial to learn a new interface I have no intention of using. I just refer people with questions to youtube channels or friends/relative who are knowledgeable on the subject. Guess I'm just tired of being "that computer guy" who everyone badgers for tech help. I will never work in IT.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 20, 2014, 01:41:24 PM »
This is sort of fascinating.

I'm not that great with Android because of just how customizable it is that opens for a lot of variation. 

iOS is sort of its own beast as well.

Maybe I should make a series of Videos.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 20, 2014, 01:43:53 PM »
I'd watch it out of curiosity. Part of me loves helping people with technology but I've grown weary of learning something I will never use myself just to help someone who cannot be bothered to use Google/Youtube/Instruction manual to get their answers. I know I could use a simple search but hey, I'm lazy and tired of doing it. :P
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #420 on: August 20, 2014, 02:52:40 PM »
Stratos pretty much said it.

I really don't feel the need to figure out her phone for her when she really isn't going to use any of the features I show her anyway, and I'm NEVER going to use it other than to figure it out for her for her to never actually use it again... so that is the cycle. rinse. wash. repeat.

People already ask for help on their iPhone to do things I do on my Android. I tell them I don't know how to use an iPhone, so when I suggest jailbreaking it, they then ask me to go watch and follow the same videos that they themselves could go do. Yeah, no thanks.

I honestly wish I was as tech savvy as some of my tech-illiterate friends think I am. But I can't be bothered to learn something new and complicated to help them out just because that one time I helped them do something related to something I already knew about.
It's like asking that friend that helped you change your tires and and oil that one time to rebuild your carburetor... because now he is "that car guy".

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 20, 2014, 05:02:08 PM »
That's the HTC 8X, it's a decent phone, but that screen is a pain in the ass to replace. You can't blame Nokia though, they don't make the screen. There's a new Windows Phone version of the HTC One M8 on Verizon - identical in everywhere except the OS. Hopefully someone comes up with a dual boot solution. Windows Phone is actually a pretty nice OS, just the ecosystem isn't there and probably never will be.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

« Reply #422 on: August 21, 2014, 03:00:22 PM »
I got a Roku 2 XS & a Roku 3
The Roku 3 is pretty fucking sweet and the XS isn't bad either, but it was a refurb, so occasionally has minor issues. Netflix runs quickly and smoothly on both, so what's the issue with yours?

Mine quite working altogether it froze up and then died. I bought it when they first came out so it was a first gen and I used it for two things, Netflix and NBA, after we got tired of getting ripped off my the NBA we were just left with Netflix. I tried some of the other channels but it was a piece of **** all around then suddenly one day it got better organized and I got hopeful I would actually like it. We moved that weekend and for some reason it didn't survive the move so it sits in a box to this day right next to my Logitech Review and my old WDTV HD media box that I forgot about until we started talking about different boxes.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:06:37 PM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 28, 2014, 05:35:35 PM »
James Spader and The Blacklist (NBC) is coming to Netflix
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/28/netflix-nabs-the-blacklist-for-2-million-per-episode

Starting September 6th, Season 1 of NBC's The Blacklist will be available to watch (or re-watch, for diehard fans) on Netflix. This acquisition came with a hefty price tag though. $2 million an episode is what Netflix shelled out.

As Deadline reports, Netflix just entered into what is believed to be the "biggest subscription video-on-demand deal" in history with Sony Pictures TV. This $2 million per episode price stands for Season 1 and all future seasons of the James Spader series.

it's a hefty price to pay, but I'm sure Netflix has some back deal associated with the high price.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 02, 2014, 10:51:35 PM »
Netflix also secures exclusive rights (in all territories) for Gotham ($1.75M per ep) http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/2/6099727/netflix-buys-batman-prequel-gotham-wb-fox

Netflix is getting very, very aggressive with its streaming deals. After picking up The Blacklist for a reported $2 million per episode, Netflix now has the rights to Gotham before the show has even aired.

According to Deadline, the deal between Netflix and Warner Bros. spans all Netflix territories (both present and future) and was "put in motion" soon after a successful May screening of the pilot in Los Angeles (our own take on the pilot wasn't quite as glowing). Each season will be made available after its broadcast run, which for the US could mean September 2015. Deadline says it's hearing $1.75 million per episode of Gotham, which isn't quite Blacklist money, but again... the show hasn't even aired yet. Which, if you're wondering, is September 22nd on Fox.

And I also heard that there is a free app in the Chrome store that will switch your Netflix region and give you access to all the other things they can show in regions not the US.
I haven't tested it yet, but it did pop up asking me to choose my region after I loaded up Netflix for the first time after install. I might try it later.

Which region has the most movies to watch?