Author Topic: Final Fantasy 12 Website Up And Running  (Read 12764 times)

Offline DrForester

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy 12 Website Up And Running
« on: September 25, 2003, 09:14:32 PM »
www.ff12.com

Not much other than saying the big showing will be november 11.  

There is only 1 picture, but based on that one picture alone, i can't wait for this game.
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
RE: Final Fantasy 12 Website Up And Running
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 09:17:51 PM »
That same goddamned poster.  When are they actually going to show something to back up my words that this might be the first Final Fantasy that hasn't sucked since #6?
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Gup

• View Profile
RE:Final Fantasy 12 Website Up And Running
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 12:49:26 PM »
Cool, I'll be drooling until that day.  Let's see, there's FFX-2, FFXI, FFXII, FFCC, and the recently released FFTA.  That's 5 Final Fantasy title that will release within a year.  Normally, for any other series, I'd say the series is getting overused, but each and the ones before it are unique from one another and they usually get better.
"You can't act like your opinion on something is the way it IS."-m_c

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2003, 07:00:08 PM »
"that this might be the first Final Fantasy that hasn't sucked since #6"

it could very well be- i love the people in charge of making this game right now- hopefully this will be the return of the good final fantasy games as grey has said- for those who do not know though- the person directing the game and in charge of the production is Yasumi Matsuno- famous for final fantasy tactics and one of my personal favorite games of all time- vagrant story- those are two very good, high quality titles- hopefully he can reenergize this series
i call the big one bitey.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2003, 01:12:44 AM »
10.2, 11, 12... If they dump them all on PS2 they might overfeed the gamers.

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2003, 04:21:22 AM »
Well, I've liked every final fantasy I've played, and I've played them all except FF:cc, FF tactics advance.  Anyway..... It might be the best one since 6, but not the only one that doesn't suck IMO.
The images (drawings) do like very nice though..... I think this is being taken back to the FF2 (america) days.   It's making me cream my pants just thinking about it.
it was time for a change.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2003, 03:09:07 PM »

When are they actually going to show something to back up my words that this might be the first Final Fantasy that hasn't sucked since #6?

Hehehe. As someone else said, the two "heads" of this game have done some pretty cool games, so I have high hopes. Just wish it was coming to GameCube ::sigh::
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2003, 03:24:45 PM »
FFVI - Great!
FFVII- Great!!
FFVIII - hey, what happened?
FFIX - What the hell?  This sucks!
FFX - This sucks even worse!

FFX-2 won't be any different...
FFXI is online, so no hope for it
FFXII - I can only pray...

Grey, I am taking your word for it for now...Please will this game be good!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2003, 03:42:16 PM »
People that constantly bash the current Final Fantasies always come off as uptight snobs to me. They feel like they're the expect authority on how an RPG should be played, and yet they find no better use for those skills than to bash the hell out of every Final Fantasy game after 6. You get to the point where you expect each following FF game to be horrible, so it should come as no surprise to do when you think they ARE horrible, since you've embedded yourself so deeply in that mindset that you weren't going to change your opinion no matter how good or bad the game actually was. Get a life, people- even if you do have legitimate reason for not liking the, you've got to have something better to do then talk about that very fact every time the opportunity arises.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2003, 04:13:20 PM »
FFVIII to FFX suck, because they do.  People who praise those titles are worse than those who criticize them...

Not to mention FFX has some of the worst character design ever...We have a generic female lead, a Backstreet Boys look-alike, and to top things off, Christina Aguilera!  Bah!  Cloud, Sephiroth, and Tifa are awesome character designs...

Now to wait 5 years for my FFVII remake

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2003, 04:31:48 PM »
That's exactly what I'm talking about, Bill. Did you ever think that maybe someone out there found sometihng to enjoy in the game, despite the fact that YOU didn't (and I know your opinion is all encompassing). The statement "FFVIII through FFX suck" is subjective and is NOT a fact.

What really pisses me off is your opinion of people who DO like the games. Can't you just be able that were able to find the good in something you didn't, without bashing them for having such a radically different opinion? You're like art critics who look down upon anyone who isn't as "educated" as they are. Get a life.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2003, 04:41:26 PM »
Well the people who like those games suck too...hehe

And giving our opinions of games is what we do here.  As for not having a life, welllll...I beg to differ.  Just think about.  This is what I do with some of my free time.  I could just as easily say you have no life for posting complaints about people who complain about games ^_^  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2003, 04:43:31 PM »
But I don't give the same opinion on the same game over and over and over again. Can't you guys talk about something besides how much you think FF sucks now? Sorry if I'm coming off as an @$$, it's just that I had enough of it at IGN and I've had enough of it here.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2003, 04:51:00 PM »
FFVIII to FFX suck, because they do.

Woah! Deja vu!

But seriously, I for one criticize the latest FF games in hopes that the next ones will be better.  Sadly I think Square knows that they can churn out this stuff and gamers will buy it, no matter what.  I want them to put more love into their games and create characters that look decent and not like nickel whores.  This worn-out character design applies to many companies.  They are just character designers' wet dreams, and it makes me sick. -_-'  I never once said that my opinion was fact, did I?  No, and I hope you weren't pointing a finger at me.  Just because someone gives an opinion doesn't mean they think it's fact.  I know a few people who like FFX, and I respect their opinion, but obviously turn down all offers to watch or play the game with them.  I honestly think you take issues way too seriously around here mouse_clicker.  Just relax.  The boards are supposed to be a place where everyone can share opinions and views on different topics, not warzones for flame wars ^_^

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2003, 05:01:50 PM »
I can't enjoy the boards when 5 people have to chime up that Final Fantasy sucks whenever a discussion even approaches the topic. Do you guys enjoy bashing it? I see no other reasonfor you to do it as often as you guys do.

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2003, 05:40:37 PM »
I think most the people who bash FF7-X are the Nintendo fanboys who were to stuborn to buy a PSX and play them.

Granted I don't think FF7-10 were as good as FF6, but they weren't bad.

FFVII was very new, and DID set the bar for 3D RPG's.  Had a nice story, and nice characters.

FFVIII, good game, one of my least favorite FF games, but the game was still fun, Sqaure just tried to do to many things different, and there were falws, but it was nice to play something new.

FFIX, I can't undestand HOW some of you can say this was bad.  The game had a fantastic story, and a very strong cast.  Not to mention it felt like FF games of old.

FFX, I see FFX as FFVIII, but it fixed nearly all the flaws of FF8.  Characters were enjoyable, story was solid, and there was enough to do.  Not to mention it had a nice upgrade to the battle system.

As for the poster, i'm looking forward to FFXII quite a bit now.  Picture makes me think it's going to feel a bit like FFIX, which would make me happy.
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline Gup

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2003, 05:54:52 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill
FFVI - Great!
FFVII- Great!!
FFVIII - hey, what happened?
FFIX - What the hell?  This sucks!
FFX - This sucks even worse!

FFX-2 won't be any different...
FFXI is online, so no hope for it
FFXII - I can only pray...

Grey, I am taking your word for it for now...Please will this game be good!

People these days. . . to go as far as to say some games will suck without first hand experience.  Anyways, for all those who thinks the shift from Nintendo to Sony or 2D to 3D games of Final Fantasy sucked, have you ever played FF I-VI.

I - complete garbage, no comments necessary
II - very weak overall in terms of gameplay, sound, and story
III - never played
IV - this was some good stuff. . . for its' time
V - it was okay, the story is weak as hell and the job system is crappy
VI - good stuff, except I'm sure if this were remade with 3D graphics, this would have been a movie-like RPG too like FFX which isn't a bad thing.

Once again, I'd like to point to my sig and say, "your words doesn't represent everyone!"  There are some that dislike FF *cough. . . Nintendo fanboys. . .cough*, but there are more who love it.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2003, 06:00:36 PM »
You know what Mouse Clicker?  I strongly disagree with you on this.  I am completely on Bill's side.

First though, I must say that I was a little harsh in my first post in this thread.  I had a bit to drink, and I was trying to say that FFXII might have the magic of the first 6 games.  For the record, I thought that FFVII was a good game, but not the same as its ancestors.  Also, I may make mention of the first 6 or 7 games like they were all good, but Final Fantasy 2j is one of the worst in the series.  It's to be assumed that I am not talking about it.

Take this picture for example.  Some people might very well consider it to be fine art.  They might buy a copy and hang it on their wall.  Does that make the picture any less crappy?  Hell no.  But if Leonardo Davinci drew it, then some people might have a very different view of it.  It's very possible that some art critics might admit that regardless of who drew it, it's still a piece of crap drawn in MS Paint.  All opinions are subjective.  But some opinions are just dumb.  Thinking that the piece of crap I linked to is anywhere's near the quality of say... the Mona Lisa is just stupidity.

The same is true of Final Fantasy.  It's because of our love for the first 7 games that we even care about all this.  Seeing one of our most beloved series go straight downhill is not a pleasant thing for us to watch.  Mouse Clicker, you are probably too young to remember the older games the way that we do.  But it's akin to watching Einstein say that he has already proven himself to be the smartest man ever, so he's just going to go to the bar and drink himself into oblivion.  We watched the series get flushed down the toilet, and WORSE, we had to listen to all the people who weren't around for the older games tell us that the new games are just as good.  That makes a man bitter.

I could go on for days on this topic, but I think I will save that for a future post.  It's my hope that you are able to see this from our point of view.  If not, I will fight some more.  I just don't like being called stuck up for being older than you, and being able to see the OBVIOUS decline of the franchise.

EDIT:  It took me an hour to write that post, since I was doing other stuff as well at the time.

I think most the people who bash FF7-X are the Nintendo fanboys who were to stuborn to buy a PSX and play them.

Give me a break.  I own 2 copies of FF7, and I own a copy of FF8.  I have played FF9 enough to know that it's the worst of the series.  I recognize Xenogears as being one of the best games I ever played.

FFVIII, good game, one of my least favorite FF games, but the game was still fun, Sqaure just tried to do to many things different, and there were falws, but it was nice to play something new.

I have heard that Square had two choices of works in progress to convert into Final Fantasy 8.  One was Xenogears, and one was Eden's Quest.  Eden's Quest was the one that became FF8.  I don't know if this story is true or not, but it came from someone I think knows about this stuff.  The game was a horrible soap opera of a game that I have come to hate very much.  The storyline was sickening, the characters were flat and boring (aside from Squall), and the gameplay was akin to torture.  New or not, you would think that someone would realize that their combat system sucked.  Nintendo could easily make a Mario game in a new fashion where you run through the streets and kill hookers.  Good thing that they dont' go for this whole "new" thing.

FFIX, I can't undestand HOW some of you can say this was bad. The game had a fantastic story, and a very strong cast. Not to mention it felt like FF games of old.

It was a good try.  I have always said that.  Square honestly tried their hardest to give us something good and reminiscent of the old days.  The problem was that they made a story that competed with "Record of Lodoss War" in terms of boringness, and the characters...   I couldn't make worse characters if I tried.   They were flat, boring, and simply uninteresting.  The music in the game was the only good.

FFX, I see FFX as FFVIII, but it fixed nearly all the flaws of FF8. Characters were enjoyable, story was solid, and there was enough to do. Not to mention it had a nice upgrade to the battle system.

To be honest, I haven't played much of FF10.  But from what I did see of it, I hated it.  The music sucked, the voice acting sucked, and I wasn't too impressed with the plot.

Gup, I am simply not going to fight with you.  It's not worth either of our time.  You are FAR too much of a Square fanboy for me to deal with.  And you likely think that I am too much of a Nintendo fanboy for you to deal with, so I am just not going to bother.  I propose that you ignore my posts about Square, and I will ignore yours.  Everyone is happy.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2003, 06:04:54 PM »
I'm absolutely speechless...

Mouse_clicker:  No, I don't enjoy bashing FF.  It actually makes my heart hurt to criticize something that has so much potential...

Dr: "I think most the people who bash FF7-X are the Nintendo fanboys who were to stuborn to buy a PSX and play them."
Besides the fact that I own every one but X?

Gup: "to go as far as to say some games will suck without first hand experience"
Ditto...

How about you leave people with their opinions instead of complaining about it?  Trying to justify that you are right while complaining about opinions is just plain hypocritical...

(edit: Nicely put Grey ^_^)

Offline Gup

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2003, 06:05:39 PM »
I'm sure that Square could care less for a group of former-fans who dislike the newer FFs since they're bringing in an even larger fan base with the newer Playstation "classics."

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2003, 06:14:25 PM »
No **** they don't care!  That's the whole ****ing point!  Thanks for proving everything Grey and I have posted.  Square doesn't care about what made the FF series so great in the first place.  The game has become an interactive movie full of pop culture(as shown by the character design) and lackluster gameplay.  And sadly this is what makes Square money, and it's the reason the videogame industry and movie industry have been going downhill into the gutter.  Violence and Sex sells, and there aren't many who will go out of the way and avoid it...

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2003, 06:24:00 PM »
heh.  FF8 is the first and pretty much only (if you don't count 10 minutes on a broken FF7 ) FF game I have EVER played.  It is a good game on its own rights.  it may be different, or even worse than ALL the other FF games, but I have and still am enjoying it.  I don't like to compare games to other games too much, becuase if a game is fun for me, it can be horribly boring for a stuipd idio-- I mean, somebody else.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Gup

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2003, 06:34:19 PM »
If the series was better before. . . than why is it selling higher now.  And what's your problem with the character designs, a completely new story and characters needs new designs, it's as simple as that and I'm sure I don't see people walking around half-naked(like in FFX).  Violence and sex sells. . . there's truth to that except, what does that have to do with Final Fantasy.  First off, how many people do you see die in FF, not many.  Does a little violence hurt your soft heart, Billy-boy.

Sex, with exceptions to the upcoming FFX-2. . . where?(can skip next section if you want)

Yuna in FFX is the cleanest, most respectful girl
Rikku is dressed completely normal or does seeing some legs and a sleeveless shirt irritate you
Lulu isn't attractive to me, but she has cool design which isn't revealing
Garnet has some big breast, but she's deformed like a kid
Eiko. . . she's a kid
Rinoa has the best designs im my eyes and I don't see any skin on her
Selphie. . . lots of legs and breasts, ya got me there
Quistis is finely dressed, a little sexiness doesn't hurt

And lastly, you Billy seem to be the biggest female admirer with every single one of your avatar pictures being girls so you're hating on yourself.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2003, 06:37:18 PM »

If the series was better before. . . than why is it selling higher now.

Sales have dropped substantially in Japan since FF7.  America didn't realize what an RPG was until Square advertised the hell out of FF7.

Offline Gup

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2003, 07:01:24 PM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja

If the series was better before. . . than why is it selling higher now.

Sales have dropped substantially in Japan since FF7.  America didn't realize what an RPG was until Square advertised the hell out of FF7.

Here's some Jap sales for our viewing pleasures:
Final Fantasy VII - 3.26
Final Fantasy VIII - 3.60
Final Fantasy IX - 2.86
Final Fantasy X - 2.74
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.00
Final Fantasy XI - somewhere over 0.3 million
source:Magicbox

Good point, you.  But, in defense of this, FFIX was visually different from the others which brought the game down and the fact that it was released at the end of PSOne's life.  FFX is currently the top selling PS2 game(until DQVIII) and FFX-2 is basically a side-story, but it's still second best selling PS2 game.  And FFXI, it was online and needed the harddrive.

Forgot about this:

FC Final Fantasy III - 1.40  
SFC Final Fantasy IV - 1.44
SFC Final Fantasy V - 2.45
SFC Final Fantasy VI - 2.55
Same source

Looks like the playstation FF still sell better than those on Nintendo's system   Gup=1 Grey=0.  I'll take on more challenges.