Author Topic: Deluxe Digital Promotion tally  (Read 15865 times)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Deluxe Digital Promotion tally
« on: October 27, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »
So. A year ago at Wii U's launch we were given a choice between white model or black one that is 50 euros expensive. To justify the price they increased hard drive space and also offered Deluxe program that gets you back 10% of all digital purchases you do on Wii U starting from launch and ending next year (december 2014).

Basically, to justify these extra 50 euro (or dollars) you need to make 500 euros worth of purchases on eShop within first two years. Based on that estimation i decided to get White basic.

So, was i right? I reviewed all my purchases i made within first year and got this:

Wonderful 101 - 41 Euro (i got it from shopto as a download code, not quite sure if i will be getting 10% of this price or 10% of nominal 50 euros, or i was supposed to get 10% at all)
Wii U Panorama: Rio Carnival - 2 Euro
Earthbound - 15 Euro
DuckTales Remastered - 15 Euro
Super Metroid - 0.30 Euro
Toki Tori 2 - 15 Euro
Trine 2 - 15 Euro
Nano Assault Neo - 15 Euro

that makes for 118,3 euros. 10% percent of that is 12 euros that i could have got back if i picked deluxe instead.

Yeah, guys, i think i'm still good.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 04:31:10 PM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Deluxe Digital Promotion tally
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 04:03:47 PM »
did you buy an external harddrive for your Wii U?

Gotta factor in that cost too. Extra space probably didn't need external HDD.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 04:22:26 PM »
I had two old IDE harddrives from previous PC doing nothing, just collecting dust. I got IDE to USB adapter for like 10 bucks or so and connected one of them to Wii U.

It looks like Frankenstein's monster down there with all wires and stuff but it works.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 07:21:43 PM »
I only have about $5.00 so far. well, maybe $7.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 08:46:30 PM »
I've already earned about $70 worth of codes from this program, so the Deluxe model has paid for itself for me with at least another year of savings coming.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 09:57:26 PM »
I paid $240 for my non-deluxe Wii U. I did buy a stand ($10 or less) and Nintendo Land ($20), so that means I still saved $80 over the deluxe edition. I doubt I'd buy $800 worth of downloads. So far, I'm probably around $100 spent on downloads.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 07:32:32 AM »
[size=78%]So far I've purchased Toki Tori 2 when it went on sale. I love the game and would recommend it to anyone who likes to explore and solve puzzles/uncover secrets.[/size]

I would've purchased Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate when it was on sale... except my Wii U wireless reception is so poor that I couldn't get a signal to stick long enough to complete the purchase despite trying for over an hour (and wasn't keen on removing the console from our entertainment system, where all other wireless devices work without problem, and carrying it downstairs to sit beside our router for the download).

So yeah. Pretty glad bought a heavily discounted ($200) Basic model instead of paying extra for the deluxe. The one thing that I do regret not having is a cradle for the Wii U controller.

This seems like such a bogus argument.

If you are downloading enough content to earn your value back, then you almost certainly need an external drive anyway - or at least more patience than I have to manage your internal drive when space becomes an issue.  The 32 GB version (less after reserved space for operating system, etc) doesn't carry you very far when downloading full HD games, so there is still a $50 difference between it and the basic once you factor in the need for an external hard drive either way.

Am I wrong here? Has anyone come close to buying $500+ worth of content without having a separate external storage solution? If so, do you manage space on the internal drive or does everything fit nicely?

If the argument is that $50 gives you enough space to download some content without worrying about an external hard drive, then I'd argue that you could either (a) buy [/size][size=78%]considerably[/size][/size][size=78%] [/size][/size][size=78%]more than 32 GB storage for roughly the same price if you shop around, or (b) just stick to retail games anyway and not worry. Quite frankly the Wii U digital library isn't exactly overflowing at the moment.[/size]
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 07:49:59 AM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 01:24:43 PM »
[size=78%]

This seems like such a bogus argument.

If you are downloading enough content to earn your value back, then you almost certainly need an external drive anyway - or at least more patience than I have to manage your internal drive when space becomes an issue.  The 32 GB version (less after reserved space for operating system, etc) doesn't carry you very far when downloading full HD games, so there is still a $50 difference between it and the basic once you factor in the need for an external hard drive either way.

Am I wrong here? Has anyone come close to buying $500+ worth of content without having a separate external storage solution? If so, do you manage space on the internal drive or does everything fit nicely?

If the argument is that $50 gives you enough space to download some content without worrying about an external hard drive, then I'd argue that you could either (a) buy [/size][size=78%]considerably[/size][/size][size=78%] [/size][/size][size=78%]more than 32 GB storage for roughly the same price if you shop around, or (b) just stick to retail games anyway and not worry. Quite frankly the Wii U digital library isn't exactly overflowing at the moment.[/size]

You framed your rebuttal pretty nicely, but if the argument was over cost & savings, then why not factor in all the cost and savings, such as the almost immediate need for a HDD if you have a basic and buy digital retail games.

The cost difference may not be immediately beneficial to everyone (like myself, who doesn't buy a lot of digital games), but there are some VC fanatics out there that will not only make that cost increase, but never even need more than the initial space to store them all.

Now if you were gonna focus on buying lots of digital retail games, then that extra cost to get that extra 10% might pay itself back rather quickly (not to mention you got the system in the superior black ;)) leaving you with the cost of the exHDD that you were gonna need anyway. And if you were a eShop-aholic, 10% back might even pay for that too.

So, for Azeke's purchasing habits, a basic (w/ HDD he had laying around) may have been right for him, but you also have to ask, what other games could/would he/you have purchased digitally to take advantage of that 10% back offer? It very well could have paid for itself if you were willing to purchase all you could* digitally instead of at retail.

*assuming Nintendo made those titles available on the eShop.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 02:42:56 PM »
I've gotten $20 from DDP.  With no investment in HDD (I literally cobbled one together when I needed it for W101)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 08:17:14 PM »
The cost difference may not be immediately beneficial to everyone (like myself, who doesn't buy a lot of digital games), but there are some VC fanatics out there that will not only make that cost increase, but never even need more than the initial space to store them all.

Questions about this:
Is it correct that the program expires December 2014, regardless of when you buy your Wii U console?
If you upgrade a Wii VC title for the reduced cost (or buy a game on sale) does that count as the full purchase price or only as 10% of what was actually paid?

It's true that some people will take advantage of the promotion in a meaningful way due to being fanatics... but given the current rate (and quality) of games being released I would wager that the vast majority will not find $500 worth of VC games they want to buy by that point in time.

How many "must own" games does Wii U have right now? How many will it have in the next year? There certainly will be some - the question is whether there will be enough.  (And the answer depends on personal preferences of course.)

So, for Azeke's purchasing habits, a basic (w/ HDD he had laying around) may have been right for him, but you also have to ask, what other games could/would he/you have purchased digitally to take advantage of that 10% back offer? It very well could have paid for itself if you were willing to purchase all you could* digitally instead of at retail.
[size=78%]...[/size]

[/size]
This argument only works if you feel that Wii U has an extensive library of games that people want and that they want to jump on board with digital licenses instead of owning physical goods.  What else could/would people have bought?  Does a 10% rebate applied towards a future digital purchase make a digital version more desireable?  How does that rebate compare to discounts/promotions regularly found at stores and online, especially if you aren't planning to buy the game immediately on release.

I'm glad the program exists. For hardcore Wii U fans who buy their games on day one and want to transition to an all digital future, it's amazing. For average fans who regularly download content, it's a nice gesture that should provide some value. For the rest - people like me who prefer physical goods, who actively shop for deals and promotions, who wait for price drops in stores (which almost always come before price drops online) - it's just not a good deal. 

The real question is how many people fall into each category: my guess is that the last category is the biggest, but that's just a biased guess based on my own opinions.

PS -- Sorry for the lousy formatting. My browser introduces all sorts of wonky formatting every time I post; sometimes I edit to try and fix, but that made the last post worse than when it started.

Offline Seacor

• Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 09:36:34 PM »
I have a launch Wii U Deluxe.  I have gone 100% digital download only since 12/2012 (I had to purchase a physical copy of COD Black Ops 2 as they failed to offer a digital version).  I have downloaded 10 games so far (not including DLC) with prices ranging from $1.50 to $59.  I have earned $35 in eShop credit.  I have purchased games I would not have at full price.  I recently waited for MH3U to go on 50% off sale, applied a $5 credit resulting in a $24 purchase.  Nothing to complain about here.  I am very happy with the Digital Deluxe promotion. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 09:50:44 PM by Seacor »
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 11:53:25 PM »
I've already earned about $70 worth of codes from this program, so the Deluxe model has paid for itself for me with at least another year of savings coming.
Outside of some shady stuff, i have a trouble imagining how one person can spend 700$ on eShop.

Getting new games i don't really want to play just to get 10% of the price back is not my style.

Even if i did get those few retail Wii U games i have digitally, it would still be more expensive for me even with 10% discount AND exorbitant shipping costs. Prices on eShop are THAT wacked.

Sometimes eShop version is 10-15 euros more, which is more than enough to cover for extra shipping cost and justify losing DDP 10%, even if i got one game at a time. And i usually buy games in bulk. All dozen or so Wii U discs i have i got in three shippings.

Price and discounts actually aren't that big factor for me. If i am not interested in the game and/or don't have time to play it in immediate future i won't buy it. Well, unless it's something ridiculous like "get Super Metroid for 30 cents" or "Scribblenauts for 3 bucks".

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 02:05:24 AM »
Outside of some shady stuff, i have a trouble imagining how one person can spend 700$ on eShop.

I only buy Wii U games digitally, which is something I'd be doing regardless of this program, and I'm widely known for buying way too many games. Honestly, $700 was a rough estimate; there's a good chance that between my dozen or so retail games plus a good amount of digital-only software and a ridiculous number of VC titles it's actually significantly higher than that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 10:40:53 AM »
Deluxe program is ending in a month.

So i decided to update my list of digital purchases on Wii U from the last time to see if maybe now i will reach 500 Euros:

Toki Tori 1 -- 2 euros (on a sale)
Super Mario 3d World -- 60 euros
Bit Trip Runner 2 -- 5 euros (on a sale)
Knytt Underground -- 5 euros (got on sale)
Batman: Arkham Origins -- 15 euros (WB sale)
Bayonetta 2 -- 50 euro
Bayonetta 1 -- 10 euro
Stealth Inc. 2 -- 14 euro

161 euros in total. With last year's purchases that makes 280 euros. Huh, i actually got halfway there!

Oh, and yeah, i did bought external USB for 100$ or so, but only because my old IDE HDD solution started failing.

Batman and both Bayonetta games are around 13Gbs each, so even with Deluxe's 32Gbs i would have been forced to get new external HDD regardless.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 12:02:23 PM »

If I went all digital (which doesn't appeal to me) and if I hadn't found a sweet deal on my Wii U Basic console, then the Digital Deluxe Promotion probably would've let me break even, having spent roughly $500 dollars on Wii U software since buying the console.

But even if those two assumptions were true, there are all kinds of caveats. Most notably: retail pricing has been significantly cheaper for almost every one of the 23 games that I own than digital pricing has ever reached, so while I would have "saved money" with the Digital Deluxe Promotion I would also own fewer games.
  :confused;

In the end, I'm sure that it was a good deal for some people but just not appealing to me.

(One thing I will note is that I totally underestimated the value of a cradle initially. Very glad the official Nintendo ones went on sale for $5 at Canadian GameStop stores early this year. Totally worth owning.)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 02:57:48 PM »
I am actually 1 code away from making my money back.  I've gotten 9 Codes for $45
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 05:47:49 PM »
I'm going to get pretty close to making back half the price of my launch system in DDP codes. I think I'm at $155 right now, with at least a couple more coming from Smash and Captain Toad.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 08:53:52 PM »
I'm now up to $105, with at least $10 more coming (and hopefully more, as I intend to go HAM on the eShop at Christmas)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 03:06:53 PM »
I've gotten four codes all from free games, and close to a fifth, so it'll all a bonus for me.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 11:28:05 AM »
I went through last night and purchased all the little remaining games I've wanted digitally that I haven't purchased yet.

I'm at 1,548 points earned for $15 worth of codes.
Me no like digital. ;)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 12:56:58 PM »
I'd love to end up with as even a balance as possible. I need about 266 points for one more code. So it looks like I'll be putting another $26 into the eshop before the 31st.

I recently purchased Stealth Inc. 2 and Telsagrad. Looking at other Curve Digital games, such as The Swapper or Lone Survivor...

Oh, and don't forget that DLC counts, such as the Mario Kart track packs.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2014, 02:31:55 PM »
Oh, and don't forget that DLC counts, such as the Mario Kart track packs.
Yup.  I bought all of the Hyrule Warriors DLC even though I haven't bought the game yet. ;)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2014, 04:18:22 PM »
I understand the argument but it's pointless. Even if you do make your money back, you can't spend it anywhere else. So technically, you're just buying games to have the possibility of buying games in the future, which a basic user could do as well.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2014, 05:10:12 PM »
By Wednesday, I'll be over 15000pts ($150).
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2014, 05:51:33 PM »
After making one more purchase on the eShop (probably Toki Tori 2+) I'll have gotten $15 worth of codes.  Not bad considering I got the Deluxe bundle with NSMB for $205 plus tax from Target and I've basically only bought games that were on sale for cheap and the Mario Kart DLC.