Author Topic: Is anyone actually buying a Xbone or PS4 at launch? Why?  (Read 23050 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: Is anyone actually buying a Xbone or PS4 at launch? Why?
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2013, 11:56:29 PM »
Well careful.  Yes, and no it is Wii HD.  It is common practice to use similar power supplies and cable output/inputs for the devices.  Afterall, standardization makes things cheaper and easier.

I am really curious to see what happens at the end of this holiday season.  If the PS4 or Xbox One gets a user base even half as large as the Wii U in a few short months then the Wii U is dead in the water for 3rd party support.

If the PS4 and Xbox One struggle the first year like Wii U did, and grow about similar if not slightly better rates than the Wii U.  The first year, then Nintendo will actually be in great shape.  2014 is not going to be the year of next generation games, but the year of final PS3 and Xbox 360 games.  This means that the Wii U will likely get most of the ports of those games...and there will also be up ports for the next generation systems.

If the Wii U, can establish a strong user base in its second year with a games library that competes with the new systems then price and games can help Nintendo survey this generation which many have already written off as a lost cause.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2013, 03:07:32 AM »

If the Wii U, can establish a strong user base in its second year with a games library that competes with the new systems then price and games can help Nintendo survey this generation which many have already written off as a lost cause.

I don't think it's a question of 'Will Nintendo survive?' (I assumed that's what you meant), because the answer is 'yes'. The larger problem facing Nintendo is that Third Parties will always seek to design games with the potential combined audience of XBone, PS4 and PC in mind, as these platforms are more comparable. Designing games for a lead platform and then porting to the other is, therefore, much more cost effective.

In Nintendo's case, not having Third Party support isn't as debilitating as it would be for Sony or Microsoft, because Nintendo have such strong first party games, but it is an issue which will prevent the Wii U from finding much traction outside of the Nintendo faithful.
Gouge away.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2013, 04:15:48 AM »
No I do not mean will Nintendo as a company survive.  I mean looking at this console generation will the Wii U have 3rd party support and be a viable main system for gamers. 

I think the Wii U will have an audience as Nintendo always does for their games, and will be profitable with this generation.  But with every generation which Nintendo is the second system gamers own, Nintendo loses dedicated pure Nintendo fans.  So, Nintendo needs to have a generation again which gamers could viably JUST have a Nintendo system. 

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2013, 07:41:04 AM »
Teehee

I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2013, 12:35:02 PM »
Wii U is the best bet of the next gen consoles this year. If I were to recommend someone to get a new Console the Wii U is the top dog unless the person doesn't have a PS3 or 360.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2013, 07:47:41 PM »
Wii U is the best bet of the next gen consoles this year. If I were to recommend someone to get a new Console the Wii U is the top dog unless the person doesn't have a PS3 or 360.

Just curious why?  Or rather how would you convince someone of that...specially if they are looking at the market and future of this generation.

Personally, I could only really afford one system.  And I do like Nintendo's lineup of games.  I would probably get 3-4 games for the Nintendo Wii U...perhaps a 5th if I owned the system.  But, looking at what is going on in the industry what do you say to the skeptics?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2013, 08:08:56 PM »
I'm not, and probably never will. They are both even less interesting to me than the Xbox 360 and PS3 currently are, and those two systems are pretty uninteresting as is. Plus, the stuff I've heard about possibly locking out used games and the always online connection stuff and the mandatory installs, the future of those systems is pretty worrisome.

If I get anything, it'd be a super cheap PS3 or 360. I got a PS2 for $30 and that's probably what it'd take to get either of those systems.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2013, 08:56:54 PM »
I'm not, and probably never will. They are both even less interesting to me than the Xbox 360 and PS3 currently are
While i agree that both launch line-ups are barren for now, you should never say never.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2013, 10:44:47 PM »
I could afford a next gen console, but I still can't see myself getting one in the foreseeable future. If anything I'll probably just get a decent PC that can run games I've missed in the last five years and keep up for a year or two into the future, hopefully longer with low-settings (a graphics whore I am not).

I'm sure there will come a moment, though, where something truly impressive drops and I'll be tempted. I'm not sure that there's going to be another "Gears of War rain level" moment, though, given how advanced things have already become.

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2013, 11:00:03 PM »
No, I hardly have time or money for video games right now and I already invested in Wii U (and 3DS). I still need to finish Pikmin 3 and I'll be getting Mario 3D World.

I also have barely gotten/played many games for 360. So, I could frugally dip into that platform's library.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2013, 11:28:07 PM »
Selling one of my PS3s and 360s, and my 3DS to get a PS4. I don't know why...I just want one. I wouldn't stand in line or anything, but I have 2 PS3s, 2 360s, and have played my 3DS maybe 4 times since I bought it at launch.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2013, 01:57:16 AM »
REALLY?! I could understand if you wanted to sell off a Wii U as the software library is not nearly as varied or interesting as the 3DS but the 3DS library has had a slam dunk this year. What, may I ask, turned you off from it? How is that there is no software to keep you interested?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2013, 07:57:10 AM »
No time for it.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2013, 07:57:41 AM »
Plus I got my daughter one, so if there's something that I *have* to play, I can play it.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2013, 11:37:52 AM »
Anybody actually get the PS4 at launch? Or are we playing by Nintendo-size 'launch window' rules?

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2013, 11:46:58 AM »
I think broodwars did.

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2013, 03:18:50 PM »
I've heard Ceric is getting one as well.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2013, 03:25:24 PM »
I've heard Ceric is getting one as well.

I think broodwars did.

Yes on both counts. We both got ours.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2013, 05:44:33 PM »
I'm not, and probably never will. They are both even less interesting to me than the Xbox 360 and PS3 currently are
While i agree that both launch line-ups are barren for now, you should never say never.
Well I didn't say "never" I said "probably never." ;) And considering I still haven't gotten a PS3 or 360 after 7-8 years, I'm pretty confident in that statement.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2013, 06:03:58 PM »
As my wife and I walked along the vacant PS4 section of my local Target, she said she was disappointed that I cancelled my pre-order.

I asked her what games she wanted to play on the PS4, and she said "....nothing, really".  I said "me neither", and told her i'd look into getting one after there are a few games I know I want to play, otherwise it'll turn into another $400 netflix machine until then.

Curious to hear people's thoughts on the PS4's UI and experiences playing it so far, though.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2013, 08:02:20 PM »
As my wife and I walked along the vacant PS4 section of my local Target, she said she was disappointed that I cancelled my pre-order.

When you say the section was vacant, do you mean of people or of PS4's?

The PS4 won't launch in Europe for a couple of weeks, so I'm just curious whether or not PS4's are readily obtainable in stores in North America.
Gouge away.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2013, 08:04:24 PM »
I really thought about getting a PS4. I had it pre-ordered twice on Amazon at separate times but ultimately realized there was nothing I really wanted to play at launch. Well maybe one game but not enough that I was willing to drop over $400 to play it. I don't want to repeat the mistake I did with the Wii U. I should have wait with that.

I'm still torn on which one to get in the end. I'm looking at exclusives going forward as I've come to realize multiplatforms really aren't doing it for me. So my purchases of those are likely to be extremely limited going forward.

PS4: Deep Down, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Drive Club, The Order, and possibly Infamous
XB1: Titan Fall, Halo, Project Spark
Multiplatform: Destiny

That's what I'm looking forward to but I don't even know if they'll hold up in the end. They might not.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2013, 08:22:28 PM »

When you say the section was vacant, do you mean of people or of PS4's?

The PS4 won't launch in Europe for a couple of weeks, so I'm just curious whether or not PS4's are readily obtainable in stores in North America.

I would assume he meant vacant of PS4's. Otherwise, why would the wife be disappointed that he cancelled the pre-order when they could pick one up right then and there? She would only be disappointed because there were none in stock and now that means they would have to wait awhile for new stock to come in when they could have potentially had it right away.

C'mon Pixpix. That's reading comprehension and basic logic, (not to mention efficient storytelling), you should give your head a shake.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2013, 08:24:04 PM »
Plus I got my daughter one, so if there's something that I *have* to play, I can play it.

Oh, you've got a back-up system. Well, no wonder than. Inquiry closed.