Author Topic: Street Pass!  (Read 118660 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Street Pass!
« Reply #300 on: July 22, 2013, 10:48:08 PM »
I, respectfully, disagree with your assertion.

I guess it depends on who your friends are and how often they carry their 3DS with them.  Or who you live with.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline paleselan

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #301 on: July 23, 2013, 01:41:09 AM »
Well, soon we'll get those relay stations....
Check out my NintendoNetwork64 Youtube channel and website:
https://www.youtube.com/user/NintendoNetwork64
https://www.NN64.org

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 23, 2013, 10:36:44 AM »
Another new feature since the update: When starting Find Mii again, it gives you the option to skip the opening movie. Finally! (I just started Find Mii 2 Secret Quest for the umpteenth time. I still don't have all the hats  :-[ )
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #303 on: July 23, 2013, 06:21:31 PM »
UB, I know some people will do it. But do you seriously think more than a very tiny amount of people will have more than 99 encounters with someone else?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 23, 2013, 07:21:02 PM »
Yes.

I think more than "a very tiny amount" of 3DS systems are contained within a household where there's more than one person who owns a 3DS.  Each one of those gets up to three passes each day.  One family that comes to my StreetPass meet-ups consists of a mother, father and three kids who all have a 3DS.

Kids and college students who go to classes with people could easily get a pass from the same person every school day.  There's 180-ish passes there.

I work with two people who carry their 3DS to work most every day and I'm sure many adults do carry their 3DS to work (and in the case of those in larger cities, on some form of Mass Transit).

I seriously think you are underestimating the amount of clustered 3DS systems.

But, as I said earlier, I'll just state that I disagree with your assertion.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #305 on: July 23, 2013, 07:22:20 PM »
LOL, we will have to disagree. I think you are totally wrong though, the amount of people getting more than 99 is miniscule.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #306 on: July 23, 2013, 10:58:51 PM »
I have a 3DS that I take to work, I ride public transportation, I work in DC, and I don't think I've street passed with anyone more than 5 times. Maybe once school starts I will, but I run into a lot of traffic from Nationals games and get nothing.

I think "tiny" amount is accurate. The "very" might be a bit pessimistic though.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 24, 2013, 12:09:41 AM »
LOL, we will have to disagree. I think you are totally wrong though, the amount of people getting more than 99 is miniscule.

Regardless of how many people it would help, it would make the system better and would likely take almost no work to implement, so why the hell shouldn't they do it? I don't understand your severe opposition to things outside the mainstream.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #308 on: July 24, 2013, 12:17:09 AM »
Its not severe, I just don't see the point in wasting any time or resources doing it.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 24, 2013, 11:53:54 PM »
I have a 3DS that I take to work, I ride public transportation, I work in DC, and I don't think I've street passed with anyone more than 5 times.

You're in Washington DC?  Well, there's your problem right there.   Didn't you watch House of Cards?   All the politicians are playing Pee Ess Veeta's all the time.   
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 25, 2013, 12:06:07 AM »
Need to go to a Women's Prison.  The guards there play 3DS.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #311 on: July 25, 2013, 12:08:57 AM »
It seems like 95% of the people I StreetPass with at Walmart have Animal Crossing: New Leaf as their last played game, guess that is good news for the game.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 25, 2013, 03:42:15 PM »
It seems like 95% of the people I StreetPass with at Walmart have Animal Crossing: New Leaf as their last played game, guess that is good news for the game.

Yeah, that actually seems to be a good indicator, doesn't it?  I had, like, 15 animal crossing streetpasses during the 1st week, and I realized "Oh crap, I better go out and buy this game."   And hey, turns out they sold really well.   Same thing happened with Fire Emblem back in March.   I think I got at least 5 of those DAY OF release.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #313 on: July 25, 2013, 10:45:35 PM »
I'am at school and we have our own nintendo club (with me as leader) and i pick up at least ten people a day! :D
Made you look ****.

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #314 on: August 13, 2013, 12:30:20 PM »
Has anyone had any success with StreetPass relay?

I updated my system and went to Nintendo Zone areas on Nintendo's list with my 3DS closed. I got nothing. Then I had my friend bring his 3DS to the two same zones I went to earlier and he got nothing, so the problem isn't that I was the first one to StreePass those relay stations...

What gives?
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #315 on: August 13, 2013, 03:20:20 PM »
I didn't get anything when I went to McDonalds for dinner a few days ago and got nothing. Maybe I was the first one there, but still.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 13, 2013, 11:21:32 PM »
Apparently people found a way to abuse streetpass relay system by setting something in their wi-fi routers or something.

Will have look into this, but i think it requires hacking firmware or something. Not sure if i want to do this...
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 13, 2013, 11:25:52 PM »
Considering that Unclebob has his own thread about it and they seem to have no issues with it, I can assure you it does not. :P

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 14, 2013, 04:10:31 AM »
It does involve hacking the firmware of your router, but you don't have to do anything to your 3DS.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #319 on: August 14, 2013, 08:39:37 AM »
It also requires very specific models of routers, which mine is not included. Apparently you can use your Android phone as an alternative, so I may look into that.

Offline Gwellin

• View Profile
    • It's a Secret to Everybody
« Reply #320 on: August 14, 2013, 12:47:21 PM »
It also requires very specific models of routers, which mine is not included. Apparently you can use your Android phone as an alternative, so I may look into that.

Note, you'd have to have a rooted Android phone to do it.

There are also ways to make your computer (Windows, Mac or Linux) behave as the relay, provided it has a wireless adaptor and a wired internet connection. Most everything you need to know is collected in this Google Doc (tutorial links at the bottom)..

Offline Nintendad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 23, 2013, 10:28:11 PM »
So now that we are a good month into it, what is everyones'  experience with the relay stations? About a week after the update, it began to work for me and I was getting Street Passes almost every time I visited one of the 3 McDonalds in my town. I was purposely going inside just to get a Street Pass several times a week. Then after around 2 weeks, I quit getting Street Passes altogether. I then learned there were issues with the relay stations across the country and very few were working.

As of today, I've visited 5 relay stations multiple times in the past week or two and only one (one of the McDonalds) works. I continue to try the others but the green light just never lights up. Is this thing working for anyone else?

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #322 on: September 24, 2013, 04:17:48 PM »
There's a McDonald's that I go by whenever I go to the gym (2-3 times a week). I've gotten a few streetpasses there in the past, but quite a few times in a row, I'd sit around in there for 5-10 minutes and get nothing.

Another McDonald's I occasionally go to I've gotten a streetpass everytime.

I don't know if Best Buy has a relay station or not, but I seem to get one there quite often.

I've gotten passes pretty consistently from a Barnes & Noble.

I've never gotten a streetpass from an AT&T store, even though both stores I've gone to are on Nintendo's relay list.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 25, 2013, 05:32:53 AM »
What dictates when you can send a personal message to a repeat street pass person? I used to be offered to write one every time but now it never does except for with my sister (who has the highest pass count on my system) . Did something about it change in the last update?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Gwellin

• View Profile
    • It's a Secret to Everybody
« Reply #324 on: September 27, 2013, 12:31:58 AM »
What dictates when you can send a personal message to a repeat street pass person? I used to be offered to write one every time but now it never does except for with my sister (who has the highest pass count on my system) . Did something about it change in the last update?
With the flood of StreetPasses I've received because of the Home Relay, I have noticed a pattern for this. It seems that you only get the offer for a personalized message (or rating) the second time you pass someone. Sometimes I don't get the option at all though, probably because of the other person disabling messages.