Author Topic: No Left-Handed Option in Skyward Sword? No Problem  (Read 6254 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
No Left-Handed Option in Skyward Sword? No Problem
« on: October 17, 2011, 07:00:19 PM »

A lefty explains why Skyward Sword's "right-handed-only" option is a lie, dumb, and not an issue.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/28102

I've seen some talk on Kotaku and IGN about a left-handed mode in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. As a lefty, all of this talk is of interest to me. I was frustrated when Art Style: BASE 10 had no left-handed option. I was scared by the prospect of the 3DS not being lefty-friendly. So, when rumors of this MotionPlus-enabled Zelda came around, I was a little worried.

Then, the game was playable at E3 2010. I played the demo with the Wii Remote in my left hand despite Nintendo representatives telling me not to do so. I had no issue with wielding the sword in my left hand even though Link held his sword in his right on screen.

The next year, I played the Skyward Sword demo with the MotionPlus-enabled controller in my left hand again at E3 2011. Once again, zero issues. At a Nintendo event in New York City recently and at New York Comic Con, I played the Skyward Sword demo again. No issues.

Basically, don't let anybody scare you, lefties. Skyward Sword's lefty-friendly to the point that it doesn't need to be discussed further. There's a slim chance that, over a long period of time with the game, it could show some worrisome signs. I doubt it, and I'll be sure to keep all my fellow lefties in the loop should I run into any issues. But, after around an hour or so with Nintendo's ultimate Wii game, there nothing to worry about.

Now Nintendo, about that Kid Icarus: Uprising game...

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Re: No Left-Handed Option in Skyward Sword? No Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 07:30:33 PM »
Most of the complaints I read about on Kotaku and IGN were basically people saying that they were lefties that didn't normally play with the Wii Remote in their left hand, and that it felt awkward to them to do so in this game. If you haven't done this since the beginning, of course it'll feel strange. I've used the Wiimote in my left hand and the Nunchuk in the right since Feb. 2007 when I got the Wii with Twilight Princess. So for me, it's just as natural as a NES gamepad to hold it that way. I didn't have any issues with Red Steel 2, and its lack of a lefty mode, so I'm not concerned at all about the lack of it in Skyward Sword. Still, it's always good to be reassured about these things!
3DS Friend Code: 2363-5672-8390

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 11:23:57 PM »
I always felt this should be the case for Wii games in general. It seems like the most ambidextrous console controller ever made.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 07:29:36 AM »
Indeed. I guess the problem that lefties commonly brought up was the visual disconnect - seeing as the movements of the character on-screen are supposed to be analogues to what the player is doing, it seems weird when a left-handed player is holding it differently to the character. However, Neal reports a smooth control experience from the demo, so lefties can now rejoice.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 09:15:08 AM »
I'm right handed but she I use a sword I tend to use my left hand, Shield right stronger arm.  I'm going to be tempted to swap the controls around.  The problem comes from my right hand can't control an analog stick for any length of time.  Its like writing with my left hand.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
I always felt this should be the case for Wii games in general. It seems like the most ambidextrous console controller ever made.

What this guy said.

Also, I can't speak for IGN, but I wouldn't trust Kotaku's opinion on ANYTHING.... especially Nintendo related things.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 09:07:34 PM »
I guess the problem that lefties commonly brought up was the visual disconnect - seeing as the movements of the character on-screen are supposed to be analogues to what the player is doing, it seems weird when a left-handed player is holding it differently to the character.
This is it. It's a right-handed world out there so we're used to doing things the "right" way, so this article doesn't mention anything I wouldn't already expect from a right-handed only game. I can do that, but that isn't the point. Motion controls are a little different than using buttons, so having the actions more accurately mimic what's onscreen is a little more important. Why not offer a left-handed setup? Wii Sports had one... Would it really be so difficult to switch Link around? I'm legitimately asking, since I don't really know anything about programming.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 09:38:50 PM »
Why not offer a left-handed setup? Wii Sports had one... Would it really be so difficult to switch Link around? I'm legitimately asking, since I don't really know anything about programming.

I'd imagine the problem with switching Link around is all the enemies are programed to fight someone with a right hand sword.  Since a lot of the enemies block attacks and require the player to attack open spot on their bodies, allowing someone to play left handed could mess some of the fights up.

If the combat is truly as deep as it looks like it might, they'd have to rework all the enemies to change up their behavior to fight someone who is now left handed.  And if the game is going to be as big as Nintendo says it is, then I'd imagine there's a ton of enemies that would need to be reworked and all that extra programing would take up more time and money then Nintendo probably feels is worth it to satisfy a small percent of the potential audience.

Unlike Wii Sports where changing it to left handed was simple to do because the game was much smaller.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 09:42:56 PM »
Couldn't they just mirror all the enemies? Heck, I'd even take a mirrored world, similar to what they did with the Wii version of Twilight Princess. That would actually make for an interesting "second quest" of sorts that we've seen in a couple of Zelda games like Wind Waker.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 11:46:27 PM »
im left handed, just play like regular people and get over it.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 07:08:46 PM »
Couldn't they just mirror all the enemies? Heck, I'd even take a mirrored world, similar to what they did with the Wii version of Twilight Princess. That would actually make for an interesting "second quest" of sorts that we've seen in a couple of Zelda games like Wind Waker.

Then it's an entire world of lefties, which makes no sense.  I hated that in TP.

I really don't think the enemy behavior would need to be changed except for whatever weighting was done based on which direction righties naturally swing more often, if there is any such thing.  That would be just one bit to flip, not anything drastic.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 12:21:33 AM »
I knew it would be playable, but it will be a subpar experience at the end of the day. From what I've heard there are a lot of items in this game, if some of these are too quirky we would be screwed.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline SwordLord

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 06:55:23 PM »
Actually, in the original games Link was left-handed. It was only changed when it was put on the Wii because so few people are left-handed. I, for one, am left-handed and I was told and read for myself that there was going to be a lefty flip for those who are. I WOULD like it so I don't feel so awkward playing and to keep originality. It would definitely make my personal playing experience in this game MUCH more enjoyable.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 12:02:52 AM »
I never followed up on this fully.

I had no issue at all throughout the entire game. Seriously lefties, there is nothing to be concerned about at all.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Graehaus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 05:49:57 AM »
As a leftie it is a problem imo. Most of the Wii games I have are ok for lefties, the character was left handed, now is right handed. This is like the school in my grandfathers day, they beat the left out of you, because it is "sinister". Nice going Nintendo, bring back the lefty hate. I hope the new wii system always for left or right, or this is the end for my family( we are all lefties) and Nintendo. Flipping elitists.

Offline KM

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 09:40:41 AM »
The original Link was left handed.  How many people noticed that link carries his shield in his right hand?  I noticed. 
I come from a large family of mixed left and right handed people.  Some of us are somewhat
[font=helvetica, arial, 'liberation sans', sans-serif]ambidextrous and others of us can't seem to understand the function of the non-dominant hand.  It's easier for some of us to adapt, I'm not one of those people.[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, 'liberation sans', sans-serif]So here's my point:  The fact that Link was changed to a right handed person was done so that most of the world wouldn't have to deal with the disorientation effects of the player not mimicking your actions (my opinion).  So, if this is a credible reason for change it should also be a credible reason to allow for a left handed Link.  I'd even accept a mirrored world. [/font]

Offline Dipzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 06:02:13 PM »
Well i knw im late to the party but im a lefty born into a family of rightys due to a "problem at birth" so i can pretty much forget about enjoying the game for my self i tried the demo and it hurts like heck so if this helps. Ill like a lefty mode and again sorry for being late to the party

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 07:44:51 PM »
As a lefty, I could care less.

now let's see who takes the bait...

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 11:22:30 PM »
As another leftie, i didn't even noticed the discrepancy. I just grabbed wiimote and started playing.

Kid Icarus, though, is kinda troublesome for us.

By the way, it really is interesting how wiimote gives you a choice -- you can hold it in any hand you feel is natural or plays better. Even depending on game. In some mini-games in Rhythm Heaven i play better with my right hand (apparently my left hand is bad at pushing button three times very fast).

One of the most under appreciated features of wii, i think.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks