Author Topic: IMPRESSIONS: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 11389 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: IMPRESSIONS: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 06:16:37 PM »
I'm right handed but I play hockey left handed.  I play guitar, bowl, throw, write, and bat right handed but I play hockey left handed.

So if Link ever gets a hockey stick I'll have to switch hands.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2010, 06:20:18 PM »
I'm right handed but I play hockey left handed.  I play guitar, bowl, throw, write, and bat right handed but I play hockey left handed.

Wait for the next installment "The Legend of Zelda: Puck of Power"
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 06:39:06 PM »

Same for me; I'm right handed at everything but hockey. Still, if they put hockey into Zelda I'd learn to play right handed, because it would be awesome.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2010, 06:56:30 PM »
Jeez, hockey fans :P
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2010, 09:11:32 PM »
How is it "just a cosmetic thing"? The Wii has no way to know which hand you are holding the remote in, and if you swing it with your left hand, the motion will naturally be emulated using Link's right-handed model. What's the problem here?

It's only a visual cue to make people feel "immersed" or whatever. If someone were to make a game about emulating as close as possible professional fencing, you can be sure right handed gameplay could not be emulated with the left hand. As I said it really depends on how deep the combat is, if combat takes into account things like the strength of the slash as well as it's speed, how you are holding the sword (is the edge pointing horizontally or vertically) and things like that, lefties would be screwed.

I guess I had way to high expectation for motion plus, professional fencing might not be as fun as it looks. But the least they could do is give us a mirror mode, I don't know why that would complicated unless the game is full of cutscenes, and we lefties get screwed enough in gaming to have our only character abandoning us too.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline SilverGrey

• GP replacement
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2010, 10:19:58 PM »
I'm lefty as well, but I figure it's not worth getting upset over until the game exists and I try it and see how it goes.  I already know I'm bad with a sword in my right hand, because I used to fence.  The only 2 things I can do with my right hand is cut with scissors and use a can opener.  Other than that, I'm a useless righty.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2010, 10:37:55 PM »
What's with all you lefty freaks on here?  ;)
Left-handed people tend to be introverts. Introverts tend to post on gaming forums.

In my case, I'm ambidextrous, but I prefer a left-handed setup when available. So I should be able to adapt without much trouble.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2010, 01:02:42 AM »
if the boomerang is anything like frisbee in wiisports resort it will be impossible for left handed players

You had issues throwing the frisbee in wii sports resort, left handed?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2010, 01:09:27 AM »
I am right handed but I had problems with the frisbee game too, it just did not control very well. Speaking of Wii Sports Resort, I hope they improve the archery controls.

As for left handed people being worried, just use your right hand for the game; it's not hard. Just for the hell of it I have tried playing Wii games using my left hand, and it was no problem.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2010, 01:18:04 AM »
I am right handed but I had problems with the frisbee game too, it just did not control very well.

You too?

Good lord. Am I the only one that created two profiles of which one for right hand gaming and another for left hand gaming, and had no problems whatsoever playing frisbee, or any of the other sports? Oh well.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2010, 01:27:57 AM »
if the boomerang is anything like frisbee in wiisports resort it will be impossible for left handed players

You had issues throwing the frisbee in wii sports resort, left handed?

I had no problems (besides my general lack of motor skills :P). My point is that  if Aonuma's almost contempt dismissal of the issue becomes true, SS would not have left handed boomerang, only a right handed one, meaning it won't work at all with your left hand, and using the right hand for lefties will be a mess, it won't be as simple as waggle or slashes, that requires certain ammount of precision. As I said, it depends a lot to what extend they are implementing M+ in the game.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2010, 07:50:54 AM »
lol Left handed people in general are more ambidextrous then right handed people simply because we are forced to do all sorts of right handed activities. I can write and draw and play games with my right hand, but i still cant use damn scissors. There is a difference between being left handed and being left handed with a gimped right hand.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2010, 11:20:38 AM »
MotionPlus could never provide for a totally accurate swordplay/fencing simulation anyway because there is no way to simulate resistance from an enemy's blade. All that they're doing is letting you choose which way your sword is swung. So yeah, it's cosmetic in that sense, but a lot less so than Twilight Princess.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2010, 10:58:12 PM »
If you can write and draw with your right hand you are not left handed, that's like the basic definition. I mean, great for you, but when you are actually left-handed, using the right hand is practically impossible in many situations except the most basic arm motions. And by basic I mean really basic, those certainly don't include things like sword or gun wielding, much less something like writing.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2010, 11:03:23 PM »
There's a certain irony in all these issues with left-handed people being unable to fully enjoy playing a motion-controlled Zelda game considering that Link is traditionally left-handed.   :P:   You'd really think Nintendo with its love of "inclusive-ness" would have figured out a way to allow players to assign their hand style, but I suppose that would have taken a fairly large amount of effort Nintendo doesn't want to do.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2010, 11:20:30 PM »
Well, only about 1 in 9 people are left-handed, and most people aren't even going to think about the issue before buying the game, and I'd guess that a large proportion of the small group of lefties who are aware of the issue will buy the game anyway. It's probably not worth it to Nintendo to take the money and time it would take to add a lefty mode to the game.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2010, 11:24:59 PM »
Isn't Miyamoto left-handed?  I find it unlikely he would release a game he would find difficult to control.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2010, 12:34:07 PM »
I really don't think people give Nintendo enough credit for including lefties, given that their controller is the ONLY one out there that can be completely flipped so you can hold either half in whatever hand you want.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?