Author Topic: Ever Oasis ~ From the Creator of the Mana Series! (June 23)  (Read 14563 times)

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
Re: Ever Oasis ~ From the Creator of the Mana Series! (June 23)
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2017, 09:30:15 AM »
Sure.  ;D

So, here's some stuff. I should note that I'm still in the tutorial section of the game, so I can only write about that. Also I'll keep myself to gameplay bits for the most part.
  • The tutorial is well-made. It still largely consists of text, but the text boxes are short and to the point, so it is nowhere near as cumbersome. There's a good pace to it, whereby you learn things piece by piece and it eases you into the rhythm of life in your oasis.
  • There's a lot of components to the game, but it balances them by making them as accessible as possible - there's no bloated inventory management (looking at you, Dragon Quest Builders), no breakable weapons (you again, Dragon Quest Builders) and not bloody hunting for recipes (FFS, Dragon Quest Builders)
  • Exploration is a thing early on. Once you can go out to the desert, you can go and find places to do stuff. That said, it's better to wait until you can take party members with you, for ease of combat, exploration and material farming, since some places require specific skills to be used. Since your party can only hold three members, sometimes it may be necessary to return to the oasis to swap out and go back.
  • Combat feels nice. The component whereby certain weapons/weapon types are only effective against specific enemies is reminiscent of the recent Ys games (Seven, Memories of Celceta and Lacrimosa of Dana), but the overall pace is less frantic and a tad bit more Zelda-esque. Enemies that are behind you are indicated by a dark purple arrow at the bottom of the top screen.
  • The sole annoyance I've felt so far is the camera - it moves a tad bit slow and can only be placed behind the player character by pressing the L button. (The manual says the camera can be moved freely when the game is played on a new3DS, so this is only an issue for people who own a classic 3DS)
  • The overall presentation is nice - the graphics and design are cute without being overtly sugary, the music (which I just found out was made by a composer from my home country of Germany, neat-o) is very nice and matches the arabian-inspired game well. You can also see some of Ishii's iconography carried over from the Mana franchise - specifically the idea of a tree as a symbol of life.

All in all, there's little to complain about so far. Good pick, I can only recommend this.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2017, 12:37:11 PM »
Ill have to pick this up in the next few days.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2017, 11:41:46 PM »
I got the game a few days ago. I havent played much of it yet, but I have really liked it so far.

I have been looking forward to it since E3 last year

Offline AnGer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2017, 02:57:04 AM »
Finished the story portion this week. Will give some more input later.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2017, 03:03:20 AM »
How many hours did that take.

I beat the first boss last night, so Im still early in the game.

Offline AnGer

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2017, 02:13:20 PM »
As an estimate, I'd say about 15-20 hours, roughly as long as the GC Zelda games.

I should note that beating the final boss is necessary if you want to build the Oasis to the maximum.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2017, 12:47:41 AM »
Good, thats not too long then

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2017, 08:24:57 PM »
I've beaten the final boss and overall enjoyed my time with Ever Oasis. I played it on and off over the past month, but when I really sunk my teeth into it, I had sessions as long as 4 hours! It was enjoyable, despite the slow start and need to warp back to the oasis to switch characters when you don't have one in a dungeon with the ability required.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2017, 07:36:53 PM »
I tried the demo for this game and thought it was pretty good. The combat is a little week, perhaps it improves? I just don't know if I have enough time to spend on 3DS game of this size. :/

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2017, 10:40:52 PM »
Here are my thoughts on the game. Went somewhat in-depth.
http://www.superphillipcentral.com/2017/07/ever-oasis-3ds-review.html
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)