Author Topic: Halbred's Paleo-News Thread  (Read 118395 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Halbred's Paleo-News Thread
« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2010, 05:27:07 PM »
Bone histeology tells you how fast an animal grows. Growth lines and haversian canals. No idea when the transition happened, probably around the time modern crocodilians set up camp, which I think was in the Late Cretaceous. AFAIK, nobody's studied the bone histeology of some of these exinct crocs.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2010, 10:52:19 PM »
How did mammals first appear on the earth? When and why did they emerge? Also, what exactly cuased the dinsaurs to go extinct? I watched a TV show which stated that disease may have been the culprit.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 22, 2010, 12:29:19 AM »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #153 on: March 22, 2010, 12:30:20 AM »
ThePerm wins.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 22, 2010, 02:19:56 AM »
Also, what exactly cuased the dinsaurs to go extinct? I watched a TV show which stated that disease may have been the culprit.
Dinosaurs were almost certainly wiped out by a large asteroid hitting in what is now the Yukutan penninusula.  It didn't just wipe out the dinosaurs, either, it also caused the extinction of several other major groups of large reptiles (actually all but one or two), several smaller groups of birds and mammals, a number of fish groups, and numerous invertebrates and plants.  All in all about 50% of genera went extinct, if I recall correctly.  The only groups that seems to have done well out of all this are fungus, which fed on the decaying matter, and ferns, which were able to quickly establish themselves when competing plant life was wiped out.

See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicxulub_crater

Although technically dinosaurs aren't instinct, birds are actually a type of therapod dinosaur (same group that T-rex and velociraptor belonged to). 

It definitely could not have been a disease, there is no way a disease could wipe out such diverse groups of organisms as dinosaurs, ammonites, and various plants while sparing closely-related organisms like birds, the nautilus, and ferns.  Also, the pattern of extinction, particularly the much larger extinction faced by marine organisms using calcium carbonate shells, while similar organisms that does not make carbonate shells were much less affected, indicate that there was a major ocean acidification event that would have seriously disrupted marine food chains (the ability to make carbonate shells is extremely dependent on ocean acidity, and many groups of plankton make such shells).   

Another popular hypothesis is that it was the result of one of the larger volcanic events in the planet's history, the Deccan traps event, but that events continued for hundreds of thousands of years yet the actual extinction event appeared to occur at least couple orders of magnitude more quickly.  Also, I read an article recently stating that it would probably have not caused the sudden spike in ocean acidity that would have been required to kill of the carbonate-using marine life.

Speaking of birds and mammals, interestingly birds were actually the most successful group after the dinosaurs went extinct.  They were able to quickly evolve large meat-eating versions that were the dominant carnivores at the time and were remarkably similar to meat-eating dinosaurs (although no where near as big).  Some even developed claws on their front limbs to help them hunt.  Ultimately mammals evolved their own carnivores that proved to by more successful long-term, but the last really large (several yards tall) carnivore birds died out in the Americas only a little while before the first human settlers arrived.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 02:26:33 AM by TheBlackCat »
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #155 on: March 22, 2010, 03:41:55 PM »
New dromaeosaur, Linhuraptor, was found in Mongolia and described late last week. Not as close to Velociraptor as to Tsaagan, despite what the idiot Associated Press would have you believe. Tsaagan is known only from an (excellent) skull and cervical series, so it's good to have a nearly complete skeleton for Linhuraptor. Both genera occupy a middle ground between microraptorines and "true" dromaeosaurids.

So, as it stands, dromaeosaur phylogeny is pretty interesting:

(Unenlagiinae + ("Microraptorines" + (Tsaagan & Linhuraptor + (Velociraptorinae + Dromaeosaurinae))))

A partial prosauropod was discovered in Utah, but it's hardly worth mentioning.

Dromaeosaurs rule!

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 22, 2010, 07:22:33 PM »
Were there any significant dinosaurs in Alaska?

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #157 on: March 22, 2010, 07:41:26 PM »
All of Alaska's dinosaurs are also from Alberta and the middle of Canada's west coast. So there was either a contiguous population of these animals, or significant migrations, or the population was broken up into three parts. Here are the dinosaurs that are known from Alaska, and the material they're based on:

Gorgosaurus (albertosaurine tyrannosaur): teeth
Dromaeosaurus (dromaeosaurine dromaeosaur): teeth
Saurornitholestes (velociraptorine dromaeosaur): teeth
Troodon (derived troodontid): teeth and a partial braincase
?Ornithomimus (derived ornithomimid): partial femur
Pachyrhinosaurus (centrosaurine ceratopsid): several partial skulls
Edmontosaurus (hadrosaurine hadrosaur): hundreds of complete and fragmentary bones from all ages
Thescelosaurus (basal ornithopod): fragmentary remains, teeth
Edmontonia (nodosaurid ankylosaur): partial skull, teeth
?Alaskacephale (pachycephalosaurid): partial skullcap, probably nondiagnostic

Edmontonia is from the middle of the state, but everyone else is from the North Slope. These dinosaurs might have seen below-freezing temperatures during the very long periods of winter darkness. Alaska was actually farther north during the Late Cretaceous than it is today. Also of interest is that Troodon actually gets bigger the farther north it's found: Alaska's Troodon is twice as big as the one in Alberta, though it is otherwise identical. This suggests that Trooodon was a much bigger component of the carnivore guild up here than it was down south.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 22, 2010, 07:49:39 PM »
I've got to keep coming to this thread; some of this may be useful in my Historical Geology class.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 22, 2010, 08:08:59 PM »
also got to remember during Dino times alaska was in a different position on the globe...not so cold

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #160 on: March 22, 2010, 08:18:11 PM »
Farther north, possible freezing temperatures in the winter, but warmer overall because there were no ice caps and, to be fair, we were a bit closer to the sun 70 million years ago.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 23, 2010, 01:44:35 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD6Usx8lEMg

Here is a really nice video about the history of dinosaurs.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2010, 01:13:34 PM »
The first episode of the Dinorama podcast is up for all to hear:

http://www.dinorama.net/

I encourage you all to listen! Eventually we'll get the show up on iTunes. There are technical problems in this first episode. Scott hasn't risen to the level of Greg Lehy yet, I'm afraid!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2010, 04:42:29 PM »
You know, I had a friend who was a bit younger than me refuse to believe that dinosaurs were real. I asked him, "Then what do you think they were trying to teach you in school?". He's like, "I don't know. I thought it was a theory or something."

I proceeded to LMFAO
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2010, 09:22:44 PM »
You know, I had a friend who was a bit younger than me refuse to believe that dinosaurs were real. I asked him, "Then what do you think they were trying to teach you in school?". He's like, "I don't know. I thought it was a theory or something."

I proceeded to LMFAO

Don't get me started...
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2010, 11:42:52 PM »

I proceeded to LMFAO

i think i know what his problem was..but i wont elaborate on these forums

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #166 on: March 26, 2010, 03:30:48 PM »
Bad news, folks.

Indiana University Press' much-awaited, perpetually-delayed "New Perspectives on Horned Dinosaurs" has been delayed AGAIN from April 5th to June 2nd. I'm sure it will be pushed back AGAIN. Proofreading and indexing problems were given as the reason. Will it actually hit the new street date? Given the book's history, I very much doubt it.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2010, 05:49:53 PM »
Wow Halbred what an interesting thread, who knew you guys were discussing such topics that are pretty important to me. I honestly didn't realise paleo was short for paleontology. Awesome.

Theory of the dinosaurs! Thats classic!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 26, 2010, 05:51:24 PM »
I didn't realize you were interested in my university! Hoosiers represent!!

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #169 on: March 26, 2010, 06:09:33 PM »
I'm not...I'm interested in their publishing house, which can't be bothered to ship a goddamn book on time. If you know where the publishing "wing" of the university is, would you go over there and either leave a flaming bag of poo on their doorstep or ask them when you can freaking buy "New Perspectives on Horned Dinosaurs?"

And then tell me what they say.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 26, 2010, 06:23:23 PM »
Hey don't hate (742) on them. They obviously have a good reason to delay it.

Probably.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 26, 2010, 11:02:36 PM »
Halbred, do you do paleontology as a living or as a hooby? You seem to have a keen interest dinosaurs. Do you know anything about Anthropology? Did you study this material at a university?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 27, 2010, 04:49:42 AM »
I want to know if you can give us the hook up on going to digs. I've always wanted to participate in one for either dinosaurs or otherwise. I almost went on one a few summers ago in the middle east but one year I couldn't get the money and the other it was canceled due to some war going on there.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #173 on: March 28, 2010, 08:53:56 PM »
Get your butt up here before the summer and I'll see if I can't get you to the Colville River, which is way up north. That's where most of our dinosaurs come from. I've got no pull further south, though.

Well-preserved pubis from Australia shows that tyrannosaurids were present on that continent during the Early Cretaceous. This is a bit strange, seeing as they'd previously only been found in North America and Asia. However, they have an extensive history going back to the Jurassic, so it's not a HUGE surprise to see an early global radiation.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 28, 2010, 09:02:21 PM »
How much would you pay for a dinosaur born from dna? And which one would you pick?