Author Topic: FEATURES: Whither Now, Samus Aran?  (Read 26547 times)

Offline Maximilian

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: FEATURES: Whither Now, Samus Aran?
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2008, 07:16:42 PM »
Nice feature, guys.  I read it all in one sitting.    :)  I'm sure Nintendo isn't finished with the Metroid series, and all three of you put forward good ideas to keep things going.  I especially like the GTA-like Zebes Jonny came up with, though I agree it isn't likely.  Despite lagging sales, the Prime series has guaranteed we'll see adventures of Samus for some time to come.  Like everyone else, I'd be really happy to see another 2D game but we'll just have to wait and see. 

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 06:03:28 AM »
Does Zero Mission's Zero Suit stint count as stealth? Should Nintendo be shooting themselves for that?  :P
Yes. Worst part of the game.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 11:19:39 AM »
I think the biggest problem surrounding Metroid is how it's being consistently retconned. The Prime sub-series did that and still doesn't take the series forward. Fusion did however but then pretty much neutered the entire series in the process.

Offline GregLover5000

• View Profile
    • Shatterglass.net
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 12:30:50 PM »
Samus - Zero Suit + Hot Tub = SkyTown Nights: Samus in the City.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2008, 02:16:33 PM »
Samus - Zero Suit + Hot Tub = SkyTown Nights: Samus in the City.

:'(
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Galford

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2008, 10:00:37 PM »
"As for adding stealth to Metroid, please, shoot yourself"

Thank You KDR, you were a lot nicer about saying that then I would have been...

Metroid in it's current form is spent. 
To move forward the series it would have to break out of the mold of Super Metroid.  Prime was Super Metroid as a FPS.  Metroid should as a nice 3rd person over the shoulder shooter, a la the original Metroid Prime concept. 

The ultimate 2d Metroid platformer was already made, it was called Super Metroid.  The only thing Fusion did was remind me how awesome SM was and Fusion not so much.  Fusion has a better story, that is it.

Metroid could be reinvented, but would fans play it or accept it???
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2008, 10:10:31 PM »
A third person 3D Metroid with more emphasis on platforming and exploration would be interesting, and using the remote pointer to aim weapons would work a lot better than any targeting method a third person Metroid on the Cube could have used.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2008, 10:25:55 PM »
I think the biggest problem surrounding Metroid is how it's being consistently retconned. The Prime sub-series did that and still doesn't take the series forward. Fusion did however but then pretty much neutered the entire series in the process.

Nintendo has a really stubborn attitude towards story in games. I support that the focus of a game should be in other aspects of course but it wouldn't hurt to hire some writers and make a decent story, making an effort towards it wouldn't delay terribly the game and would make the experience a whole lot better.

and Nintendo would do well to take the series in a new direction now that Metroids have become extinct, and perhaps start answering a few questions about the main character.

And at the same time... NO, NO, NO!

On one side is my fear of the absolute ineptitude from Retro and Nintendo of making interesting characters and engaging stories, what they did to Samus and her universe from Zero Mission to Corruption was pretty appalling, and the other is that one of Samus coolest features is precisely the mystery behind her. This somewhat contradicts what I said before and that's why I clarified, if you don't know how to do it at least hire someone who does, writers should be as important as graphic's artists in video game development.

And stealth is awesome, so KDR is completely wrong :P the implementation in ZM was less than stellar but the atmosphere in the games is about loneliness and suspense, nothing makes that better than stealth gameplay and I would love if they actually put some effort into it. Personally the stealth in ZM seemed to me more as an excuse to get Samus naked in order to capture the loser otaku culture of Japan, the country with honestly the worst taste in games.

With all that said, I have to add that the ones who should shoot themselves is all of you whiny people who want Metroid to die. The Metroid experience is way too scarce and amazing to be calling for a rest of the series, we barely get a bad copy of it with the metroidvanias.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 03:08:41 AM »
I'd be willing to accept stealth if the view areas were visible, they did damage instead of causing alerts (not enough to kill you with one hit, of course) and you can shoot everything. Except then it wouldn't be called stealth anymore. Instant loss sucks and invisible death triggers suck. There's a reason you have a life bar in Metroid, it's that you can make an error and survive.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 03:34:55 AM »
OK my quick thoughts on this article are the following:

The article was definitely stimulating though I cannot say I agree with everything. I personally disagree with more stealth in the Metroid series, that is like throwing stealth into Star Fox, it doesn't fit what the series has been trying to accomplish all this time. Though Greg makes a compelling argument about utilizing the Zero Suit to diversify puzzles and fighting, though I hope that is ALL it is used for. Metroid Gear Solid this is not.

Johnny brings up some great ideas about going more into the back story which has been become more prevalent as the series has evolved. Though as we know, Nintendo isn't the best story teller in the world, at least when it deals with games in a series. So hopefully someone else can take the reigns and accomplish this.

One area I do disagree with is changing the name of the series and even taking out the Metroids. The game would NOT be the same without the Metroids, not to mention that familiarity with the game title would be lost. Going back to the point about axing Metroids, throughout the series the Metroids have played a key role in Samus's life, even her people engineered them. Extinction would not be right for the series, just as extinction of familiar foes in their other games. If anything Nintendo still has room to get the Metroids more involved. They are still a fascinating enemy that we still don't know much about.

Now I know I'm in the minority but I like Samus's world coming more alive with the extra Bounty Hunters which I found to be great additions. If handled right it could add yet another layer to Samus's universe while not completely trouncing what some consider a key theme of the series, which is you being alone in a world.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008, 07:12:33 AM »
Another argument against switching to the "zero suit": Samus already has two modes (normal and morph ball), adding more just gets confusing.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008, 12:30:49 PM »
I like Metroid Prime 3: Corruption a lot, except for the hand-holding.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008, 01:01:28 PM »
I, for one, REFUSE to believe that Metroids are extinct. The Universe is a big place.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2008, 02:02:07 PM »
The universe maybe but Metroids aren't capable of space flight.

Offline GregLover5000

• View Profile
    • Shatterglass.net
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2008, 02:49:47 PM »
I, for one, REFUSE to believe that Metroids are extinct. The Universe is a big place.

Well, they could go "Jurassic Park" on us and have someone (maybe the Galactic Federation this time) splice some Metroid DNA with a bigass jellyfish to revive the species for weaponization purposes (a la Aliens). Samus could then come out of retirement to hop around the ruins of said park and lay waste to the Jellytroids.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2008, 03:11:56 PM »
Didn't they already pull the whole Alien 4 story in Fusion, including Samus being combined with Metroids?

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2008, 03:26:05 PM »
Yeah, and she gained NO lasting powers as a result. Just a weakness to cold temperatures. So, really, Samus got screwed. Nintendo REALLY missed the freaking boat when it came to exploring the Metroid's lifecycle. Why weren't the Space Pirates breeding their Metroids to Queen status in Super Metroid? Why'd only one Omega show up at the end of Fusion? And now they're gone!
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2008, 04:01:52 PM »
She gained the power to eat X, no?

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2008, 04:34:56 PM »
Sure, and now the X are also extinct.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2008, 06:23:27 PM »
Well, you never know. They are parasites and those are pretty willy things.

The same goes for the Chozo; who knows how far they spread out in the galaxy. Cheap as it maybe, they could just pull a "Oh hey! We never saw this planet way out here and it has Chozo ruins and Metroids/Parasite X/whatever plot McGuffin!" And honestly, who would care much as long as the game plays great, eh?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2008, 04:45:36 AM »
Maybe she can eat people's life force by raping them...

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2008, 04:40:36 PM »
I read the article.  I enjoyed reading it but I always wonder about the usefulness of proposing or speculating about future game ideas.  Although I do really like the notion of a seamless world.

I don't know that the style of the game should change (I refer to the dynamic between upgrades and level design), because that's as inherent to the franchise as the empowerment and exploration themes.  Maybe even more so; that's what the exploration theme is built upon.  Taking Metroid into a world of squad combat takes it away from what Metroid is; make another game for squad combat, or use it effectively, somehow, within the conventions of the game.

I think stealth could work within the game's design, but I wonder whether it's really worthwhile.  The solitude and puzzle-solving aspects of the game feel enough like stealth already.  It may be worth trying, but I can't say for sure.  I think it's worked in Zelda games (which work on a very similar dynamic), but whether it could be a significant portion of the game (like half), I don't know.

Story elements I rarely even consider.  They're a MacGuffin, essentially, except instead of being an element that propels the story forward, they're a story that propels the game mechanic forward.  Now Metroid has a more coherent through-line than most Nintendo franchises (in contrast to Zelda), so it may be worth maintaining some kind of unity or consistency, but I don't think the game should be approached from a story perspective.  If a story element inspires a game design, fine (the Chozo training idea is interesting, if unlikely and impractical).  But the creation of a game should be "What game design do we want?", then, "What's the best story we can make to fit within that design," and only then, "How can we fit this story into the broader, franchise story?"  It may connect only loosely, but you'll ultimately have a better game.

I'm not saying the game designers shouldn't consider potentially enriching elements from previous games, but they should not take priority.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2008, 04:42:08 PM »
IT LIVES
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2008, 04:48:06 PM »
:O IT DOES

Certain events led me away from games and this site for a while (including the new forum design, but I've gotten over that), but only temporarily.  I imagine you'll be seeing me around more often now.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2008, 04:51:45 PM »
It'd be nice if you can support Team Reggie online karting.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.