Author Topic: IMPRESSIONS: Check Mii Out Channel  (Read 4758 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
IMPRESSIONS: Check Mii Out Channel
« on: November 12, 2007, 08:19:26 PM »
Nintendo’s newest Wii channel is pretty freakin’ awesome.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressionsArt.cfm?artid=14790

The blue light was on when I got home from a marathon Call of Duty 4 session on Xbox 360 last night, so I eagerly switched on my Wii and discovered, thanks to a note from Nintendo on my Wii Message Board, that a new, free Wii Channel had been added. I hit the Wii Shop, downloaded the Check Mii Out Channel, then spent the next hour completely mesmerized by its charms.    

Arguably, Look at Mii is Nintendo’s first real foray into creating an online community. As you can well imagine, one of the fixtures of the new channel is to upload your own Miis onto a database, where Miis from around the world can be seen, as can information on the creator. You can also upload funny Miis and get ranked on how good your funny Mii is. You can look at dozens of Miis from your region as well as around the world. You can sort them in various ways, and even download Miis you especially like onto your Wii. It was hard not to resist the striking Jack Black and Walter (from Big Labowski) Miis.    

As I clicked through the pages and pages of Miis from around the world, I was struck by a few things. First, people are a lot more creative in making Miis than I am. There were designs I didn’t even know were possible. Also, Adolf Hitler is an amazingly popular character to design, which is rather disturbing. I thought I was being unique when I spent a half-hour making Mr. Garrison from South Park, only to find that he was another incredibly popular character, as was Kenny from the same show.    

The other side of the Check Mii Out Channel is the contests, in which Nintendo gives you a theme and you are supposed to make a Mii that fits the theme, then upload it to the contest page. The current theme is “Mario without a hat," which is certainly an effort to gear up excitement for Super Mario Galaxy’s imminent release. I thought my Mario was quite good, but we’ll see how well it fares overall in five days when the contest ends.    

There are a few problems that dog the Look at Mii channel, though. Perhaps most irritatingly, your uploaded Miis are given an ID number which is akin to the much-ballyhooed friend codes, except each of your Miis has its own code. And if you don’t write that code down somewhere, it becomes next to impossible to find your Mii among the thousands that have already been uploaded by now, especially when your character is as popular as Mr. Garrison. I think you should be able to check on all of your Miis simply by clicking on your Mii Artisan Info icon, which lists how many Miis you have created and what your overall rank is.    

Also, in an effort to allow people to remain anonymous, and because Nintendo thought that people would upload themselves onto the Check Mii Out Channel, individual Miis do not have full names—only initials. So if I were to upload myself, I would be Z.M. instead of Zachary Miller. I don’t mind that so much, but when people are making funny Miis, it would be helpful, many times, if I could see the full name of who that Mii is supposed to be.   And while people are being very creative with their Miis, it’s becoming obvious that certain Mii options—noses, and eyes, for instances—are far too limited. I could never really get Mr. Garrison’s eyes right, because all of the Mii eyes have enormous pupils. I hope that, in the future, Nintendo releases some new content for the Mii Channel itself.    

Overall, though, it’s easy to waste a lot of time on the Look at Mii channel, and I like it. Like I said, it looks like Nintendo is starting to acknowledge the need for an online community that is not hampered by a horrifying friend code system (although that problem persists to some degree here). While I didn’t spend too much time with the Mii Channel before, I am now motivated to get my creative juices flowing. The entire South Park cast? I think I’m up to the challenge!

This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Maximilian

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: IMPRESSIONS: Check Mii Out Channel
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 11:15:28 PM »
I just wanted to say that I was also frustrated about "losing" Miis after I foolishly did not write down their codes after submitting them to the channel.  Then I read on NeoGaf that you can get the code back by attempting to re-submit them.  Works very well.  The codes are a pain but it's good to know that you can find Miis you submitted this way.

Offline PopeReal

• View Profile
RE:IMPRESSIONS: Check Mii Out Channel
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 12:08:13 AM »
I also didn't like seeing all the Hitlers but I don't think its because most people worship him or whatever.  As a semi-serious student of history, I was kind of offended to see his Mii.  But I think he has become just sort of a character in a way, not actually Adolf Hitler if that makes any sense.  Kids these days

Oh and thanks Maximillion I was wondering about that
Now playing:  Animal Crossing: City Folk, Civilization Revolution DS, Quake Live, Onslaught, Star Wars Best of PC

Offline shammack

• "This space intentionally left blank."
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 01:42:14 AM »
There's exactly one reason Hitler is such a popular Mii: he's really goofy-looking.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 02:02:02 AM »
I was only disturbed when I realized that a good number of Hitlers I was seeing were from German Wii users.  I got chills.

Offline planetidiot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 02:29:16 AM »
Yeah I'm not going to be writing down any more codes thank you.  It's bad enough for multiplayer games.  And someone please remind Nintendo that there are parental controls built into the console, so they can stop protecting adults from the naughty words.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 04:16:55 AM »

I was only disturbed when I realized that a good number of Hitlers I was seeing were from German Wii users. I got chills.
Oh KDR. The lengths you go to.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 05:05:54 AM »
The only celeb I have is Michael Jackson after my father "improved" his own Mii (his Miis were designed by us, not him) with the result looking half way like Muichael Jackson so I took it the rest of the way.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 06:17:49 AM »
LOL I also made a Mr. Garrison mii, well actually a Ms. Garrison mii to be exact. It's cool to grab a bunch of other people's Miis that resemble popular characters/people. I now have a big Mii lobby of memorable faces. Always cool to see them show up in Mii supported games.  
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 06:47:37 AM »
You know, that's great and all but...uh... don't we have a 100 Mii Channel limit? I have EIGHTY EIGHT Miis just from having all my wonderful Wii friends send 'em in!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline roger6106

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 06:51:08 AM »
I was surprise to see Pac-man and upside-down Miis. I'm not even close to that level of creativity.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 07:58:20 AM »
I got a laugh out of seeing entire fields of Chuck Norris and Michael Jackson.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 12:25:01 PM »

Originally posted by: shammack
There's exactly one reason Hitler is such a popular Mii: he's really goofy-looking.

Easy to make too

Offline SkiDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 01:24:26 PM »
I talked to a some of my friends with the Wii, and all of them claimed to have made a Hitler Mii. Let's be honest, Hitler is one of the most famous figures in history, and has a very distinctive face that is easy to characterize. That, and it's fun to beat him up in boxing.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 02:17:56 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario

Originally posted by: shammack

Easy to make too

Maybe....Maybe Nintendo purposely made it easy to make?!

AXIS OF EVIL!
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline graveyardduck

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 03:01:46 PM »
Many of the Miis on the Check Mii Out Channel were copied from MiiPlaza.net
There's a story on this issue here:

For instance, the Jack Black Mii which is currently ranked first worldwide was actually created by Brandon Erickson

Offline Mario323

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 03:32:42 PM »
hahah I made a Mr. Garrison Mii too.