Author Topic: NEOGEO Titles Coming Soon to Virtual Console  (Read 2953 times)

Offline LassePalle

• PGC Staff Writer
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
NEOGEO Titles Coming Soon to Virtual Console
« on: October 01, 2007, 03:04:13 AM »
Fatal Fury, World Heroes, and Art of Fighting are the first ones to appear.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=14501

Wii's Virtual Console Takes You To The Arcade    

NEOGEO classic Arcade Games coming to European Virtual Console!

1st October 2007 – The retro hits just keep coming with Wii’s Virtual Console with over 140 titles currently available to download. Soon Wii owners will be able to re-experience the greatest arcade games of the 90s with a selection of releases from the NEOGEO. These will join classic games from Nintendo, SEGA and Turbografx already available on Wii Virtual Console.    

NEOGEO launched in 1990 and featured advanced 2D graphics and high quality sound similar to that found in arcade machines at the time. Available at a relatively high price point, the NEOGEO AES (Advanced Entertainment System) was a cult product available to only a small number of gamers but now Wii owners can own these classic hits thanks to Virtual Console. Release of these titles will be handled by D4 Enterprise Inc. headquartered in Tokyo.    

The first NEOGEO title to launch on Wii will be the critically acclaimed Fatal Fury, SNK’s oldest fighting game dating from 1991. This will be followed by two other retro fighting games from 1992, World Heroes and Art of Fighting. These will be joined by more titles in the near future.    

So look out for great games from NEOGEO which will be making their way onto Wii’s Virtual Console and will be available to download for 900 Wii Points.

Offline Maximilian

• View Profile
RE:NEOGEO Titles Coming Soon to Virtual Console
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 03:30:57 AM »
I'm really looking forward to these, some more than others.  I'm probably one of a few people who got to play a Neo Geo home console since one of my buddies dropped mega cash for one in high school.  I remember the games fondly but suspect I may be looking back with rose tinted glasses (especially after playing the Fatal Fury demo on XBLA).  Still, some of these will be too good to resist.  Just hopefully they don't take up tons of memory.

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 07:25:47 AM »
None of these games are that big in size, I'd say they might be about the size of Mario 64.  

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
RE: NEOGEO Titles Coming Soon to Virtual Console
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 07:34:36 AM »
I wonder if they'll release any King of Fighters or Metal Slug games, since they're both available (KoF will be soon) as compilations as regular Wii games. Even though I hate the pricing, I'd say the VC is kicking XBLA's ass, as far as non-online gaming goes.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 08:10:50 AM »
"I'm probably one of a few people who got to play a Neo Geo home console since one of my buddies dropped mega cash for one in high school."

Wow.  I don't even think they were available in Canada.  That was that console that all of us knew about and were familiar with because of the arcade machines but never saw.  It was like a mythical game machine.  We didn't know anyone who had one, didn't know where to buy one, and didn't have enough money for it anyway.  Hell for all we knew Gamepro and EGM made the whole thing up.  It was like some fanboy console.  Releasing the arcade hardware as a home console to get perfect arcade conversions?  That sounded like something that fat redheaded kid made up like the time he supposedly had sex when we was 8 and lost his finger but it grew back.

The sad thing is now that arcade perfect conversions of games from that era are common place it doesn't matter so much anymore.  I appreciate having arcade perfect Final Fight available but I REALLY wanted it 15 years ago.  It doesn't wow me as much as an adult.  As a kid something like MAME would have blown me away.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 03:12:35 PM »

I remember the games fondly but suspect I may be looking back with rose tinted glasses

I've said this before, but the first round of Neo Geo games were...rough around the edges. Fatal Fury would be good for nostalgic purposes, I'm not so sure about Art of Fighting and World Heroes. This was when the Street Fighter II was burning up the arcades. It wasn't until Samurai Shodown ad KOF that SNK started to make a real name for itself.

Hell for all we knew Gamepro and EGM made the whole thing up. It was like some fanboy console.

Strange but true. They gave NEO-GEO extensive coverage. Aside from seeing these games in the arcade, I didn't know anyone who owned a NEO-GEO. But when I saw a unit at my local Funcoland (RIP) I just stood in awe. They were pretty selective on who got to play it though. I didn't understand it then, but I do now. That was one expensive machine.

I keep mentioning Shock Troopers but it bears repeating:Can't wait for that title to hit the VC. If you've played Metal Slug to death, wait for Shock Troopers.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Maximilian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 04:30:03 PM »
The thing was, my friend had one and I couldn't believe it.  It was like, geez, something extraordinarily ridiculous for the system... $400?  $500?  Each game was like $150-200, depending.  Maybe my foggy memory is exaggerating a bit but in high school, it seemed like you had to be a millionaire to keep up with it all.  The controllers were really snazzy though and at the time, it was unlike anything you could play at home.  But what was SNK thinking?!  There's no way ANYone, especially kids (save for my rich pal) could afford it.

Ridiculously, years later a friend of mine gave me a single CD rom with most of the Neo Geo library emulated for free.  

Early games were rough and for the most part, I'm more looking forward to the Samurai Showdown Anthology than any single Neo Geo VC release.  But still, it will be nice to have the option to pick up some of these games that almost nobody saw outside of arcades.