Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1545471 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #275 on: September 01, 2009, 03:35:45 PM »
Don't listen to vudu He's mafia It Happened One Night is very good. It creates a lot of conventions of modern day romantic comedies. If you watch it in that context it really is groundbreaking. Things like the two leads disliking each other, being forced to spend time together and getting into wacky adventures is cliche now, but back then it was fresh and new.

It's like complaining that those Lord of the Rings movies ripped off Dungeons and Dragons...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 03:38:56 PM by ShyGuy »

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 01, 2009, 03:54:05 PM »
I didn't say it wasn't a historically important movie.  I said it hasn't aged well.  For all its influence, it's really just not very much fun to watch.

Maybe I just don't like romantic comedies.  You can make a unique, mouth-watering extreme sandwich, but if you use **** instead of mayo it's not going to taste very good.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 01, 2009, 04:48:15 PM »
Two... opinions! ...Each..... polor opposites! What.... would Kirk do?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 01, 2009, 04:49:11 PM »
Two... opinions! ...Each..... polor opposites! What.... would Kirk do?

Rip his shirt off and beat both into submission.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 01, 2009, 06:31:20 PM »
I didn't say it wasn't a historically important movie.  I said it hasn't aged well.  For all its influence, it's really just not very much fun to watch.

Maybe I just don't like romantic comedies.  You can make a unique, mouth-watering extreme sandwich, but if you use **** instead of mayo it's not going to taste very good.

Ugh... remind me not to check the extreme sandwhich thread next time its updated.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 01, 2009, 10:30:17 PM »
Do you like When Harry Met Sally?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 02, 2009, 02:05:48 AM »
Taking Woodstock: 7.5/10

(explanation to come, I have to take a lunch break)

So i forgot to update this after i took lunch yesterday...

This film while very enjoyable, suffered from its shitty marketing that made it look more like a movie about woodstock, as opposed to a movie that happens to take place during woodstock. Its the same shitty marketing that has one of our forum members upset at Adventureland being billed as a comedy (and its okay, it happened to me too but i still enjoyed that film.)

The film was more about Elliot, played by Dimitri Martin (who was excellent by the way) and his trouble with his family basically holding him back. Their efforts in housing thousands of people that are attending the festival is what moves the plot and both brings the family together and drives them apart. So for those of you thinking you'd see a movie about hippies dropping acid, dancing naked, smoking weed, groovin to tunes and sliding in mud.. well this movie has that, but in small doses (save for the nudity, so if you're not up for a lot of male and female full frontal, this movie isn't for you). Aslo, for the fact that the majority of this movie takes place during woodstock.. the lack of tunes was a little dissapointing. Every now and again you might of heard someone like Joplin playing faintly in the background, but that was it..

Aside from the nitpicking though, it was still a fun movie to watch and one I might even watch again. Maybe not a dvd purchase, but a rental or such.

Yeah, I haven't seen that movie yet, but thats basically what Ang Lee said on the Colbert Report. He mentioned its not really a concert movie, and that the stage while in the background, was not focused on.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 02, 2009, 03:52:58 AM »
Singin' in the Rain Four stars. Gene Kelly is a ninja with his feet.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 02, 2009, 11:50:12 AM »
Sorta wish I saw him on the Colbert Report than, I like knowing what i'm getting myself into before seeing a movie. Luckily this was one of those rare pleasant surprises, it's really a good movie but only slightly above average. There's a lot of characters or moments that leave you wondering at the end, and while sometimes a little wondering can be a good thing it wasn't in this case because those characters or moments never really developed.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 02, 2009, 01:35:43 PM »
Do you like When Harry Met Sally?

It was okay.  Billy Crystal is the man.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: September 03, 2009, 12:56:59 AM »
The Thin Man = 6.5/10

Old 1934 detective movie. The difference is that unlike a lot of noir thrillers or detective mysteries during this time, this one is given more humor. The mystery itself is alright but watching this movie, the mystery is just there to give us a purpose so we can watch the detective and his wife and glimps the great banter between them. It's hard to figure out how best to describe the characters. The detective, Nick Charles, is a man who seems bored with all detective work as though he's seen it all. In fact, he hasn't even done detective work in 4 years. He loves alcohol and parties. But most especially, he seems to love being around his wife as they give each other a hard time. Nora Charles, the wife, wants to see her husband actually take on a case for once. She is able to hold her own with Nick and loves the unrespectability Nick brings into their life. You see, she comes from a rich family and is respectable wheres Nick comes from a background of being a detective and meeting all kinds of unscrupulous people.

I feel that I haven't done this film enough justice in reviewing it which is a shame. This movie was so good, it inspired 5 more sequels creating the "Thin Man" series. This movie itself was nominated for a best picture back in 1934. I have to say, I've seen a lot of older films from the 30's and 40's and this one holds up remarkably well. The characters of Nick and Nora I think would be welcomed by a movie audience today. The actors who played them did a great job and the reason you watch this movie is to be in their company really. The only problem with this movie is that they spend too much time with other characters and trying to build a mystery when I'd rather just watch Nick and Nora interact. Plus, the mystery is rather lackluster in the end. For that, I feel this movie ends up being rather average. It's like The Pink Panther. The movie is ok but you'd rather it focused more on Inspecter Clouseau which is what the sequels did making them better than the original. Speaking of which:

Another Thin Man - 9/10

The first sequel in the series. This movie starts up right where the first movie left off. In fact, the first movie had the mystery being solved around Christmas time and this one is solved around New Years. It also more funny than the first movie. There are a lot of great laughs in this movie. One of the best comes from when they couple finally get home and their pet dog Asta goes to see his wife, Mrs. Asta. That reunion scene is hilarious and my brother and I couldn't believe that they were making such a joke back in 1936. This movie even has a young James Stewart. I can never get enough of that accent.

In this movie, less time is spent with the mystery than the first one which is great. In fact, one isn't even sure what the mystery is at first. It appears it might have something to do with a disappearance but that is wrapped up fast. There is some kind of a job being pulled but one isn't sure what it is. It isn't until a character is killed that we finally get the mystery underway. And unlike the first movie, this mystery has a few twists to it to keep me guessing until the very end. My only problem is the actual solution of the mystery but I'll let you see it for yourself. While you probably don't have to see the first movie to enjoy this film, I will admit that having seen the first movie did help add a bit more to the enjoyment of this film, so you may want to make it a two-parter.

One last thing I want to mention about these two films is how they hilariously blow your suspension of disbelief at the end. In both movies, all the suspects are gathered in a room where the killer is at last identified. But there is absolutely no way such an event could take place in real life. If you watch the films, you'll know what I mean. Both times this happened at the end, I just shook my head as all kinds of different reasons came into my head as to why this could never occur. I will also admit that the first movie did the gathering of suspects in a much funnier way than the second movie. That might be the one case where the sequel didn't match the original.

Now I want to seek out the rest of the movies in this series. Great, great stuff.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 03, 2009, 01:34:00 AM »
Oh man, the Thin Man is a great series. I enjoyed the novel too.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 03, 2009, 03:52:03 AM »
All About Eve Actresses covet each other. Four Stars

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 03, 2009, 09:12:04 AM »
For all the people who watched District 9. Have any of you watched Moon?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 03, 2009, 12:52:59 PM »

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 03, 2009, 02:35:40 PM »
6.5 for The Thin Man sounds about right.

All About Eve is fantastic.  That better be 4 out of 4, ShyGuy!

Have you gotten to Sunset Blvd yet?  It's another great one.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 04, 2009, 02:01:01 AM »
I employ a four star rating system that goes up to five stars.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #292 on: September 04, 2009, 03:12:59 AM »
I saw Outbreak on TV tonight.
I would give it a 4 out of 5.

It is a movie that is about 1 man that has seen all types of Viruses and there is a new strand and he tries to stop it from spreading across the US. Dustin Hoffman, Renee Ruso, Morgan Freeman, Cuba Gooden Jr star in the movie. They play their parts well.
Also has a bit of 1 small group standing up against a large group.

Great movie.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 04, 2009, 04:06:10 AM »
Vertigo Alfred Hitchcock's masterpiece. Very twisted in places. 4.5 stars.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 04, 2009, 11:25:59 AM »
Ah Vertigo. I love that movie. I watch it every year if not more than that. One thing that truly elevates the film is the score by Bernard Herrman. I sometimes feel I'm watching the movie just to listen to the music. It is such a sad longing sound yet it also gives an air of inevability to it, of having to move ever forward with sadness. And it's a good thing Mr. Herrman got it right since this movie doesn't have a lot of dialogue. The music puts the viewer in the right mood for the story. Of course, it has James Stewart which adds to the greatness. I love his speech at the end of the movie. "You were a very apt pupil!" And the ending. What a film.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 12:41:47 AM by Khushrenada »

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #295 on: September 04, 2009, 01:53:19 PM »
"Outbreak" is based on a book called "The Hot Zone" about the brief, very scary outbreak of the Ebola virus in the United States.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #296 on: September 04, 2009, 10:55:02 PM »
For all the people who watched District 9. Have any of you watched Moon?

No.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 05, 2009, 12:42:33 AM »
Hey, Shyguy, what movies do you still have left to see on the list?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 05, 2009, 03:19:42 AM »
About half of them vudu. It's a big list.

Spartacus The most awesome chin in history demonstrates the importance of freedom. Four stars.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 05, 2009, 12:22:19 PM »
Man behind the sun .....WTF/10                 sometimes referred to as Men behind the Sun

You can see the whole movie in pieces on youtube, but I'm not sure if you want to(I saw it on DVD). This movie is like the Japanese version of the Nazi Concentration Camps, only instead of Jews, its Chinese people. For 1988 the special effects are top-notch, but it was absolutely disgusting. I believe it took place during WWII and human torture experiments were taking place. It was all about coming up with the most effective (and inventive?) way of dismembering/disfiguring/killing another human being. I'm not sure if it's based on true events or not, but I sure as hell hope not. Anyway, I can't recommend this movie to anyone, but if your into gross out horror/drama & asian explotation.....