Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

Game Boy Classic Edition, Game Boy Mini?

(1/12) > >>

segagamersteph:
Do you think Nintendo will actually create a Game Boy Classic Edition? If so what games do you think it will include? Do you think it will feature HDMI output to keep with the tradition? Do you think it will end up having a functional screen and be somewhat fully portable?

What games do you want to see? What games do you realistically think will make it despite your best wishes? What games are you absolutely certain won't make it but would be pleasantly surprised if they did?

Do you think if they do a Game Boy Classic Edition they will follow it up with others? Should we expect a Virtual Boy Classic Edition in the future? When do you think Nintendo, the Internet and gamers will grow tired of these micro consoles? Do you think Sony will ever jump in with a proper Playstation Classic Edition? Are there any others, besides Neo Geo, Sega and Turbo Grafix that make sense? Have fun.

Evan_B:
The tough thing about a Game Boy classic edition is that both the original Game Boy and the Game Boy Color have extremely robust libraries. If they were to make a classic or mini, I would want a number of games from both.

In terms of Game Boy:
DK 94
Super Mario Land 1 and 2
Link's Awakening
Duck Tales
Gargoyle's Quest
Kirby's Dream Land 1 and 2
Legend of the River King
Metroid 2
Mole Mania
Tetris
Castlevania 2
Final Fantasy Legend 1, 2, 3
Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow

Game Boy Color
Bionic Commando
Bomberman Quest
Crystalis
Lufia
Mario Golf/Tennis
Mega Man Xtreme 1 and 2
Metal Gear Solid
Pokemon TCG, Pinball
Pokemon Gold, Silver, Crystal
Dragon Warrior 1, 2, 3
Mario Bros. Deluxe
Wario Land 2, 3

Adrock:
Game Boy Classic Edition should cover OG Game Boy and Game Boy Color in a Game Boy Pocket sized unit but colored like the OG Game Boy with a color/backlit screen. OG Game Boy games should have Super Game Boy palette options including peasoup green.

Game Boy Virtual Console games cost less than NES and SNES games. Going by the NES Classic Edition and SNES Classic Edition games/pricing, maybe maybe 40 to 50 games for $80. No HDMI but include a micro-USB/USB-C port for quasi-link cable functionality (namely for Pokemon).

Nintendo wouldn’t do this, but if they included a camera in like the bezel, one of the “games” could be Game Boy Camera. “Smile! You’re on Game Boy Camera.”

lolmonade:
My gut reaction says it's inevitable, but I don't know how much extra cost built-in screens and all that adds to the package.  Might be niche if the price ends up over $100 where Nintendo would clearly want something that hits mass-market appeal.

--- Quote from: Adrock on May 22, 2018, 02:00:12 PM ---Game Boy Classic Edition should cover OG Game Boy and Game Boy Color in a Game Boy Pocket sized unit but colored like the OG Game Boy with a color/backlit screen. OG Game Boy games should have Super Game Boy palette options including peasoup green.

--- End quote ---

Hit the nail on the head of what I was going to suggest.  If they gate an OG game boy classic edition to just game boy games, then I hope there's a toggle to enable some of the color swaps you could do with OG game boy games on the game boy color.

segagamersteph:
I was thinking they would just exclude the screen and make it hdmi. I know that defeats the purpose of recapturing the true meaning of the Game Boy but if it's purpose is to keep in line with the rest of the Mini consoles, and we have Super Game boy and Game Boy Player both previously allowing Game Boy games on a TV, I would fully expect this, if it happens, to connect to a TV. They could throw in any old tiny screen with low res it doesn't have to be expensive, it doen't need to be color either I mean the original Game Boy didn't use a modern screen either. I would rather the screen just be for show not functional.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version