Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

What are your thoughts on the 3DS at this point?

(1/5) > >>

pokepal148:
I plan to get Samus Returns and Pokemon Ultra Sun but otherwise the 3DS is mostly done for as far as new purchases are concerned. It's obviously on it's way out and there isn't much left on the system that I'm interested in that I don't already own besides Dragon Quest 7.

NWR_insanolord:
I think the 3DS has my favorite software library of any system ever, especially now that it has a proper Metroid game. From Nintendo's big franchises to quirky indie stuff, 3DS has an amazing selection. I'll keep mine around forever to keep going back to some of my favorites.

ejamer:
Looking at my little library of portable games and hardware has led to several conclusions:

(1)  I prefer the DS generation to what we've received on 3DS. A big part of that is DS winning the battle of "most/best RPGs", although I find it has many smaller, quirky games that also appealed to me greatly.

(2)  Downloaded titles are much less valuable to me than retail ones. I "own" a large number of 3DS, but can't currently play them because the hardware they are locked to is broken. There hasn't been a rush to replace it because my kids have a 3DS that can be used, and only a handful of my downloaded games are ones I care about.

(3) Numbers are deceiving. For DS, the games I don't care about are sold or traded away - so the size of my collection correlates directly to the number of games I enjoy. With 3DS, I own many more games when you count digital... but that's a factor of never being able to purge those games or trade them for something else.

(4) Build quality has been disappointing for 3DS hardware. I've owned two separate 3DS units, both broke over time with normal (fairly heavy) usage. My DS lite is still going strong though. Nintendo also never seemed to figure out how to prevent scratches on the upper screen with the various 3D versions, which is ridiculous.

Those observations might seem negative... but the fact that 3DS is fully backwards compatible still makes it my favorite portable system ever. Sure, DS games have different resolution and look better on original units - but that doesn't bug me.

Also, even though I don't always use it when playing I do really like the 3D gimmick in games. That's why I'm kind of bummed that all reports suggest the "New 2DS XL" (what a name!) is probably the best hardware build to pick up.

Hmm... I've been trying to say something positive, and it keeps coming out as mixed praise at best.
Maybe that's the real statement I have about the 3DS generation.   ;)

Ian Sane:
The 3DS is keeping me from buying a Switch or PS4 or anything from the current generation.  I'm perfectly content to just continue to get games for it and it's still getting games into 2018.  So that will give me some time to see if the current consoles end up dropping in price at all and it also lets me see the lay of the land.  The PS4 was attracting my interest but now the Switch is stealing the spotlight.  Odds are the Switch will be my choice but a year ago that wasn't the case and if the 3DS didn't keep on chugging I probably would have gone with a PS4.

With the 3DS I have almost exclusively stuck with RPGs.  So no Zelda: Link Between Worlds, no Super Mario 3D Land, no Metroid (thus far).  That sounds ridiculous for a Nintendo fan but I've found that I don't do well with action focused games on handhelds.  I tend to involuntarily move the controller around a lot during tense gameplay and when the screen is attached to the controller that's visually disorienting.  I had trouble getting into the GBA until the Game Boy Player came out and never was very happy with the DS.  So with the 3DS I made a conscious effort to only get games that I know I'll hold still with which ends up being RPGs.

But I don't feel I've missed out at all!  The 3DS is a wonderful system for the genre so I have played tons of great games.  And I've now got a new appreciation for the DS because, frankly, I was playing the wrong games for it.  Now that I've played its RPGs and visual novels (Phoenix Wright, 999, etc.) I have a new appreciation for that system.  It's a much better system than I gave it credit for, I just shouldn't have been wasting my time with high profile titles I didn't like much like NSMB and Phantom Hourglass.  As I've gotten older I feel like I can skip Mario or Zelda games and when I was younger that was unfathomable.  No, I don't have to play all the big stuff - I can be content playing less games but sticking to stuff that really interests me.  I guess it's not specifically a 3DS thing but more of a change in approach as I've gotten older.

Now if someone was new to games and asked me what game system they should buy, the New 3DS (I don't have a "New" one but it's clearly the way to go for a newcomer) would be one of my top considerations since that can play so many great games, covering a lot of different styles and genres as well.

Stratos:
I just posted about this in the Metroid thread, but I'm just fed up with the 3DS design. The nub was painful for my thumb and the modded PSP nub is just too loose for long play sessions. The system is sorely in need of an update, and frankly I'm disappointed they didn't upgrade the nub in the recent 2DS XL models. I'd have bought it again if it included a second full circle pad like on a circle pad pro.

Might even dive into modding to swap out the nub for another circle pad.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version