Author Topic: Killer Freaks Becomes Zombi U  (Read 6134 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Killer Freaks Becomes Zombi U
« on: June 04, 2012, 08:07:50 PM »

The exclusive M-rated game was showcased at the Ubisoft press conference.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/30436

Ubisoft has announced Zombi U, a zombie apocalypse-based survival shooter exclusive to the Wii U. The game is the final form of the project once known as Killer Freaks from Outer Space.

At their press conference today, Ubisoft showed off a cinematic trailer of the game. The trailer consisted of shots of people in zombie-infested Great Britain involved in a number of gory situations involving the infected—combined with scenes of cells being infected by the virus—while "God Save the Queen" played in the background.

No actual gameplay footage was shown, though, according to a press release from Ubisoft, the game will use the Wii U GamePad controller, as demos of Killer Freaks did. The press release also detailed several of the first-person shooter's mechanics, including the ability to take control of another survivor upon death, the use of the GamePad's touch screen as an inventory (or "Bug Out Bag"), and a multiplayer mode that places one player in the role of "Zombie Master," giving them a top-down tactical view via the GamePad screen and the ability to spawn zombies against another player, who fights useing the Wii U Pro Controller.

What may have been video of the game was briefly shown in the Nintendo Direct conference yesterday.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline juancaar

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Killer Freaks Becomes Zombi U
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 08:41:08 PM »
Just hope that the multiplayer also includes ONLINE multiplayer...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 08:48:13 PM »
My interest in this game has dropped from curious to you have to pay me to take this game.  I mean I just really needed another Zombie game.  This is why it so hard to find any game worth owning anymore.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 08:54:15 PM »
From the PR it seems the game has pemadeath. Each time you die your character becomes a Zombi and you respawn as a new survivor. Once in the game you seem to be able to hunt down your previous character to get back you items and try to survivor again. So potentially it sounds like you could have a lot of weapons, ammo, etc and lose it all and then possibly have to go up against your previous character who might have all that and I wonder if they'll be using it to kill you. Trying to kill that character and get back your equipment could be pretty challenging as long as the gameplay holds up.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 08:56:12 PM by NeoStar9X »

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 09:34:37 PM »
My interest in this game has dropped from curious to you have to pay me to take this game.  I mean I just really needed another Zombie game.  This is why it so hard to find any game worth owning anymore.

Same here.   This is basically going to be single player Left4Dead, right?  I got sick of that game in an hour. 
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 10:18:44 PM »
Way to generic-ize my most anticipated Wii U game, Ubilosers.

Offline Thaneros

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 10:22:33 PM »
The zombie apocalypse is real, only in digital form.  Seriously!

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 10:46:29 PM »
?  Damn, it wasn't just an name change but they whole damn plot is gone.  Might as well say Killer Freaks got canned and this one is taking it's place because the two are nothing alike.  One had Aliens invading and the other is freaking zombie outbreak :(.

Me, I was digging the whole aliens vibe since there's already a bunch of zombie games like L4D or Dead Island in the last couple of years.

I'm zombie out (to damn many, reminds me of the 90's love for nazi's, now it's zombies).

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 11:24:45 PM »
?  Damn, it wasn't just an name change but they whole damn plot is gone.  Might as well say Killer Freaks got canned and this one is taking it's place because the two are nothing alike.  One had Aliens invading and the other is freaking zombie outbreak :(.

Me, I was digging the whole aliens vibe since there's already a bunch of zombie games like L4D or Dead Island in the last couple of years.

I'm zombie out (to damn many, reminds me of the 90's love for nazi's, now it's zombies).

At least the Nazi's had different Experiments.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 11:27:36 PM »
Killer Freaks had a sense of humor about it. This game seems super serious grimdark.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 11:28:43 PM »
I have to agree with you guys. The whole Zombie Apocalypse in gaming is beginning to wear out its welcome. We got some great games out of it, but it is definitely time to move on, go back to good old fashioned alien invasion, or create something different.

I mean, as I watched the cinematic for this, I couldn't help but think that it was influenced by Dead Island, especially this trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwtr_-4vz6g

It's like they saw it and really wanted to create their own version.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 11:39:35 PM »
*looks around, raises hand cautiously*

I'm still hyped for this...

I mean, I'm sick of Zombies... Zombies MOVIES. But zombies games? I've skipped almost all of them, I'm not a big RE fan, my bro plays Left 4 Dead 1/2 and I just watch him... When it comes to videogames, I haven't hit my zombie quota yet.

Also, I miss FPS games set in WW2. Sure they were having a hard time coming up with new stories to tell... but it felt so comfortable that every game had a Kar98 waiting to find a home in my hands...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 11:40:05 PM »
Maybe Ubisoft is planning on releasing Killer Freaks later on, right now we are assuming this ZombiU replaced it but maybe they just have two FPS coming to the WII U? 

Please god let that be the case. 

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 11:52:47 PM »
they said in the Ubi press conference that this was the evolution of Killer Freaks.

Offline Ignoramus

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 12:25:10 AM »
Not too excited for this game to be honest. Seems like a tech demo that will be lost and forgotten 6 months after Wii U's release.
3DS Friend Code: 0516-7436-5160
I love games and wrasslin.

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 02:51:51 AM »
I thought it was too much of a coincidence to have a British-based shooter in the ND conference and not be in some way related to Killer Freaks. If you don't know what I'm talking about the protagonist and setting for KF were British/London.
If you look at the pics on my blog (near the bottom) they clearly show British policemen.

It's a shame that Ubisoft decided to change a fun, quirky and original title into a game that sounds like an iPhone app...
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 02:54:11 AM »
To make this all the more hilarious, "hardcore" gamers seem to like this game so far.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 02:58:17 AM »
To make this all the more hilarious, "hardcore" gamers seem to like this game so far.

What's there to like?  All Ubisoft showed was a cookie-cutter teaser trailer showing a zombie attack, with no gameplay whatsoever.

Personally, I'm sick to death of Zombie games, with the lone exception of Telltale's excellent Walking Dead game.  "Killer Freaks From Outer Space" is a name so unique and wacky it draws attention.  I might have been interested in playing that game.  However, "Zombi U" is just stupid, and just reeks of an attempt to cash-in on what Ubisoft thinks is the value(?) of the Wii U name.  It's yet another Zombie game, and I think I'll pass, thanks.  Ubisoft is welcome to my potential Wii U money if they want to make something that's actually unique for Wii U.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline LudicrousDa3ve

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 11:00:02 AM »
I hope it turns out well, but Killer Freaks was my most anticipated game this year alongside Pikmin 3. :\ Ripped the charm and personality right out of the damn thing, didn't they?

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 11:18:29 AM »
Sigh, it's confirmed that the development team is Montpellier, the same ones that were working on Beyond Good & Evil 2, then Killer Freaks, and now ZombiU. 

Was hoping another team was just reusing the engine/graphics but it doesn't look to be the case.