Author Topic: Motal Kombat : Deception  (Read 5284 times)

Offline soracloudtidus

• snes owns and all of you know it
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Motal Kombat : Deception
« on: February 27, 2004, 06:54:33 AM »
Well since I haven't seen a discussion about this I thought of putting one myself. Recent bits of info about this  game have been leaking out. On February 11 a Baraka render picture was shown over at mortalkombatonline.com. But the big news where on February 26 when a trailer was shown over at gamespot.com and it's available for download at http://www.aros.net/~konqrr/mk6/  on the bottom link. The trailer looks awesome and let's you wanting more. Familiar faces like subzero,baraka,scorpion and milena are shown while others leave you with speculation ( Ermac,Nightwolf,Raiden) Pit fatalities are back, each character has 2 fatalities and the game will be online enable but not for the Gamecube system. Well that's about it and I like to hear from you guys ur 2 cents about this game. Let the speculation begin!
Currently Playing: WoW, New Super Mario Bros,Legend of Zelda: Phanton Hourglass

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Motal Kombat : Deception
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 07:48:39 AM »
I think the reason no one has been discussing this game is because it may not even be released for the Cube.  Midway recently officially announced the title and only mentioned the Xbox and PS2 versions.  According to IGN Midway is evaluating their Cube support and may not release any new Cube titles at all including Mortal Kombat.

Personally I lost interest in the MK series with MK4 which to me really didn't even play like a Mortal Kombat game.  I've never played Deadly Alliance which I hear is not too bad but the MK franchise has kind of lost it's appeal to me.  Playing it now the first game doesn't hold up at all and if it didn't have the controversial violence no one would have cared.  MKII is an absolute classic however.  MK3 rides on MKII's coat tails (but is actually pretty decent I find) and MK4 sucks.  I think if they really want to bring the series back to life they should go back to the basics: 2D gameplay with digital sprites of real life actors and none of this weapons stuff.

Personally it doesn't really matter to me if MK: Deception is not released on the Cube.  However the principle of the Cube getting the shaft pisses me off.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Motal Kombat : Deception
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 11:55:48 AM »
While Midway is expected to drop its Gamecube support, Mortal Kombat may be an acception. Midway is in a lot of trouble anyway, though, so I wouldn't blame them if they didn't release MK:D on the Gamecube.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 12:33:02 PM »
yes this is why midway is SUFFERING as far as their money goes, ignore the people who put you in your place and you can effectively go out of business
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 12:39:10 PM »
Nope, no exception with deception there is no Gamecube MK in the works. If you don't believe me you can check it out Here. Personally I'm kinda pissed. Deadly Alliance wasn't bad at all and it did sell over 200,000 copies on the cube. Thats not it though apparently Cube might not get any support from Midway at all. Which sucks cause MLB Slugfest is one kick ass baseball game.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 01:15:50 PM »
Sigh. Not a MK fan in any way, but this sort of news always bums me out. It just makes it sound that Nintendo is "beneath" them in a way, which really infuriates me. Not to mention that every time a game is not brought to the cube, popular websites bring out the old "The end for Nintendo" crap again and again.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 01:33:10 PM »
"this sort of news always bums me out. It just makes it sound that Nintendo is "beneath" them in a way, which really infuriates me."

How ironic since the whole reason Midway games don't sell is because Cube owners regard them as beneath them.  It's been said time and time again but the least successful Cube third parties are usually the worst.  I swear if Midway hadn't released such crappy ports (Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, Spy Hunter) early in the Cube's life they would have had no problem with sales.

One thing that is really ironic is that two to the companies that have dropped Cube support, Acclaim and Midway, were strong N64 developers and basically stayed in business because of the Nintendo fanbase.

Offline Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2004, 02:33:34 PM »
Yeah I know right. NBA Jam and Cruisin' series and the rush series were all great. Then they release SpyHunter for Gamecube which was painfully boring and Gauntlet which was just as bad. Mortal Kombat wasn't that bad and it didnt sell that poorly either (over 200,000 isn't bad is it), so why drop support. Man these kinda things piss me off. They make crappy ports that wouldn't sell on any system, and then the blame the Gamecube.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2004, 04:06:55 PM »
Its an endless cycle. Unfortunately, if enough 3rd parties drop Nintendo, regardless of quality, that's it for them in America.  It'd be interesting though, if the said companies eventually go bankrupt, leaving Nintendo standing (Thanks to its loyal fanbase).

Ian, the last MK brings the franchise to a level of decency. But compared to say, Soul Calibur II, it feels slow.

As far as the online thing, some see it as the next progession.  Sega's the only one sticking their necks out[for the 'Cube]; it sucks that Sony adopts the same policy of just letting the publishers handle it, and sure enough they flock to it.

To paraphrase Darth Vader: "I find this lack of faith....disturbing"  
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2004, 05:39:37 PM »
Why is it when these game companies run into financial problems, they first thing they do is blame Nintendo?  Why not accept responsibility for your own shortcomings?  Late Ports and Crap games aren't gonna fly off shelves because they exist.  What's interesting is... What will happen if these companies continue to fail?  Who will they blame then?  
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2004, 05:44:24 PM »
IGN has confirmed that Midway will not release Mortal Kombat: Deception on the Gamecube. Just thought I'd let you all know.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2004, 06:19:25 PM »
The fact that the press release says that MK: D is the goriest and most bloody thus far means that it will be only popular amongst the casuals as such.
While the MK name will live with oldies, it's the blood that they will focus on.

Unfortunately.  
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Armed

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2004, 07:49:55 PM »
I did not like Deadly alliance, and i dont think i will like this one either, as long as i got soul calibur and ssmb i'm fine with this announcement.
If you like to read comics click below
**My cousin made it, pretty cool**
"Bilaran Wars"-Click Me

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2004, 08:52:36 PM »
Yeah, I got Deadly Alliance after getting Soul Callibur II.  A waste of $20, since I already had the far supperior SC II.  I could play SC II with my best friend FOREVER.  I'm quite confident Namco will continue making fighting games (of some sort) for Nintendo systems, considering how well the GameCube version did.  That's better than a Midway fighter any day of week IMHO.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2004, 11:09:46 PM »
Why do developers like to blame Nintendo for everything?...

So yeah, the next time I feel like blaming someone, I'll blame Nintendo, even if they had nothing to do with it!

Oh man, I dropped my mug and it broke.  Damn you Nintendo!!!!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2004, 04:58:22 AM »
Well, Midway is in a different boat than many of their 3rd party brethren- from what I understand, Midway is on the verge of bankruptcy and isn't getting good sales on any platform. THey have to cut their losses somewhere, and logically the console with lowest of the three sales for their games is it- the Gamecube may not be that far behind the XBox or PS2, but I doubt Midway can continually supply games for ll three systems.

Offline soracloudtidus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2004, 07:12:58 AM »
This saddens me. I remember when the first MK was on the snes and how people bash it because it didn't had the blood factor while the genesis game had a code for you to put the blood out. When MK2 came out on the snes it was clearly the better version of the two. Every MK has been on a nintendo sistem, even if it was good or bad. And now for the first time the latest MK will not be on a nintendo system because of lack of sales? This new MK could be the make or break of the franchise as MKA was a decent game but not  the one every MK fan wanted. I will not miss playing MKeception cause I  can buy it for my PS2 but still I'm mad that for the first time ever it will not be on a nintendo system.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2004, 07:54:15 AM »
the problem with third parties today is that their incompetant....i will say mkda was pretty good in my opionion, but because it didnt have joystick support i didnt buy it..i however did buy soul calibur 2....

back in the n64 days i would say i played mortal kombat 4 more then any other game with my friends....i was a huge mk fan. But this  type of burn by midway has upset me greatly.

and above iansane summed up my thought damn well.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2004, 05:03:32 PM »
I havnt been impressed by a MK game since MK:subzero, which was the last game I enjoyed
oneday they will realize adding new 3D gimmicks, lame looking fighters and more weapons doesnt make us wanna rush out and buy it

Offline soracloudtidus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2004, 07:13:43 PM »
For anyone out there that it's interested go here
http://www.petitiononline.com/mkdgc1/petition.html . It's a petition to midway to bring mk: deception to the gamecube. Some people are indifferent about this I know, but I realize most of you didn't have the experience of playing this game from the start in a nintendo system ( I could be wrong about this but oh well.)It might or might not work, but at least  make your voice be heard. I signed it, shouldnt u fight for your right to fatality ?  

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2004, 07:29:38 PM »
Is Deception planning on having a huge online factor or something?  That's the impression I got from reading the petition.  I think Midway is giving Nintendo the short end of the stick because Deadly Alliance just sold poorly on GCN (about half Xbox and like a quarter of PS2).  Still I think 200,000 units is pretty respectable and probably worth the effort of porting it, if Midway only makes a limited number of Gamecube versions.
I have played MK since the beginning and it is sad to see it go (for me anyways) especially when it finally made a significant improvement after years of the same stagnant gameplay over and over.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Actraiser

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2004, 04:06:12 PM »
"I'm quite confident Namco will continue making fighting games (of some sort) for Nintendo systems, considering how well the GameCube version did."

Im not sure where this confidence you speak of comes from.  Soul Calibur was one of the biggest titles on Dreamcast and I dont think Namco ever came back to that system.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2004, 07:15:05 PM »
The GC isn't abandoned by its maker, though.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2004, 06:27:40 AM »
"Im not sure where this confidence you speak of comes from. Soul Calibur was one of the biggest titles on Dreamcast and I dont think Namco ever came back to that system."

Yeah but how well did the first Soul Calibur actually sell?  The Dreamcast from a sales perspective was considered somewhat of a lame duck from the get go.  The Gamecube is in a much better situation and is at least guaranteed to survive for the normal five year lifespan.  Plus, despite a significantly lower userbase, Soul Calibur II sold best on the Gamecube so I imagine that Namco feels the console is worth supporting.  They also seem to be very buddy-buddy with Nintendo right now.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2004, 08:36:47 AM »
I would rather own one Nintendo title than 18 Midway titles.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg