Author Topic: DPL II/Progressive Scan Support  (Read 3059 times)

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
DPL II/Progressive Scan Support
« on: February 27, 2004, 04:30:14 AM »
Does anyone know a good place that lists every GameCube game and which ones support Dolby Pro Logic II, Progressive Scan and widescreen?  The IGN forums had (and possibly still have) such a list, but that forum is is only accessable by becoming a paying member.  I thought I saw a similar list on this forum a long time ago.  Anyway, if anyone knows a good place for this kind of info, I would appreciate it.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline pceylao

• View Profile
RE:DPL II/Progressive Scan Support
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 06:31:14 AM »
Thanks,
Paulo Ceylão
Brazil

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
RE: DPL II/Progressive Scan Support
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 08:28:25 AM »
Thank you.  Although I don't think that list has all the games, it's much better than nothing.  

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 09:18:38 AM »
Here's a list of all Pro Logic II titles available.

Link
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 09:24:38 AM »
Here's a few that are missing:

1080*: Avalanche - DPL II, PS
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - PS
Conflict: Desert Storm II - DPL II
Beyond Good & Evil - DPL II
Viewtiful Joe - PS
P.N. 03 - DPL II, PS
F-Zero GX - 16:9, PS, DPL II (strange case.  IGN and GameSpot list DPL II support, though there's no official sign of that anywhere on the packaging or in the game.  But on my sound system it kinda does sound like DPL II comes through.)

Some games that don't support DPLII do "support" the old DPL (4.1) Stereo Surround, like Viewtiful Joe and Resident Evil.  They might not explicitly be designed to have any surround channel at all, but the DPL (II) decoder can sometimes generate rear audio depending on the kind of sound that's output.  
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 08:44:08 PM »
Interesting... I knew that DPL II systems would read any signal and try to make it in surround sound (In Animal Crossing, for example, if I walk around the radio in my room I can hear it coming from different speakers giving it a slightly weird surround effect - despite AC having claiming no surround support).  I didn't realise that there were (so m)any games that support regular DPL.  

Now, I have another question.  How exactly does my five speaker surround system handle a four speaker signal?  Does it recognise it as four signals and just not play sound in one speaker?  Or does it (as I kind of suspect it does) just blend the sound to the extra speaker (just like in Animal Crossing, only not as poorly)?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 09:38:18 PM »
Yes, there are a few games that do support DPL officially, such as Wave Race: Blue Storm and Hitman 2.  As far as "classics" go, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, and Conker support DPL as well.

For statements below, don't take too seriously cuz I haven't gotten all my facts straight yet, but if it makes sense, it makes sense.

You have a 5-channel system (Left, Right, Center, rear Left, rear Right) and you're playing a 4-channel DPL game (Left, Right, Center, Rear/surround).  What your sound system will do is take the Left and Right audio sources (from the red/white pair of analog RCA cables), finds specific types of audio that's common to both channels, joins that audio and dedicates it to one speaker, the Center-channel.  Your Left/Right speakers will try to only output audio that's specifically Left-oriented or Right-oriented.  So, that covers 3 speakers.  The DPL Rear/Surround channel is just a single audio channel that accompanies the normal L/R audio channels.  The DPL decoder separates that rear channel and outputs it to both the rear Left and rear Right speakers, effectively making "one big" surround channel since the rear speakers spit out the same audio.  "One big" audio channel isn't so weird, as 5-speaker setups were commonly used during the Hi-Fi VCR era, where VHS movies (and TV shows) did support "Dolby Surround" that can be heard thanks to a DPL receiver.  Theoretically, DPL rear audio could be output just fine with "one big rear speaker," but I guess having 2 rear speakers made a better "wall" of surround-channel audio.

DPL II goes one clean step further than DPL by providing 2 unique L/R rear channels instead of "1".  I think DPL II handles deep-bass better in order to take advantage of a sub-woofer, though I'm not sure.

It's funny though, Rebel Strike appears to be the first game to support 7.1 using DPL IIx, which adds another pair of rear L/R channels (so you'll end up with 2 speakers close beside you and 2 behind you).  However, I've yet to see a DPL IIx receiver.

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2004, 07:53:01 AM »
Here's one. :¬D

PLII actually does a good job of decoding PL. Ocarina and MM have discreet rear channels.

Edit: There is the Tendofire site too, but which is also well outdated. Is Mingesium still around? Maybe we could get the site up-to-date. I have some games I could submit info for.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Raziel15

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2004, 05:21:15 PM »
hdgames.net is a good site, you can easily sort it to gamecube only, pl2 and PS as well.

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2004, 06:29:46 AM »
I like that hdgames.net site the best, since I can actually add to it.  

Another question.  Is "Dolby Surround" the same as "Dolby Pro Logic" (1)?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2004, 09:24:20 AM »

Originally posted by: Nemo
Another question.  Is "Dolby Surround" the same as "Dolby Pro Logic" (1)?

For all practical purposes, Yes they are the same.  In ye olden days, "Dolby Surround" meant surround (rear audio) was supported, while "Dolby Pro Logic" is specifically the technology that enables surround.

In these modern times, logos and labling are becoming more specific, saying things like "Dolby Surround: Pro Logic II."  Surround is implied in the label "Dolby Digital 5.1" cuz of the "5.1."  "Dolby Digital" simply means the audio is in the digital format, and is no guarantee of surround support.

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2004, 07:38:45 AM »
I know these questions don't really pertain to GameCube, but...

What resolution is better, 720p or 1080i?

What's the diference between DD(Dolby Digital) and DTS(and what does DTS stand for?)?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2004, 02:27:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Nemo
What resolution is better, 720p or 1080i?

What's the diference between DD(Dolby Digital) and DTS(and what does DTS stand for?)?

1)  It depends on the source video: is the video progressive or interlaced?  Is the video resolution high enough to take advantage of the increased screen resolution?  A general rule, match progressive w/ progressive, interlaced w/ interlaced; mixing them up will lessen the overall perceived quality.

2) DTS stands for "Digital Theater Systems."  They, DTS & DD, are both brands (like DivX vs. Quicktime) of formats for digital audio.  DD is largely focused on the home theater market (watching DVDs), while DTS is focused on the professional/motion picture/movie theater market (watching movies in a theater; audio editing or presentation).  DTS boasts higher-quality sound since it is meant to match the original master recording as close as possible.  Most home theater receivers and DVD films support both formats.