Author Topic: For those who didn't buy Beyond Good & Evil...  (Read 6725 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE:For those who didn't buy Beyond Good & Evil...
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2004, 11:18:09 PM »

Originally posted by: AiAi

Originally posted by: Mario
plus it's got a crap boxart, boring looking characters

Ever heard of the phrase: "Never judge a book by its cover"????

I don't care how good the game is, if it doesn't have a good boxart i ain't buying it.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2004, 11:27:10 PM »

I don't care how good the game is, if it doesn't have a good boxart i ain't buying it.

That doesn't sound like you Mario!

Are you serious?  So, lets say the next Zelda game has a bad boxart, you will not buy it?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: For those who didn't buy Beyond Good & Evil...
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2004, 11:36:05 PM »

That doesn't sound like you Mario!

Are you serious?  So, lets say the next Zelda game has a bad boxart, you will not buy it?

No i'm not. Yes i will.

But a lot of people would not buy it after looking at the boring boxart, and a minute later they would forget the game ever existed, which is what i'm trying to say in my wierd little way.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2004, 11:44:53 PM »
Conflict: Desert Storm II has badass boxart.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2004, 11:46:30 PM »
Not quick enough!  I read your first reply before you edited it, Mario!

I agree with your point, but we are better than the average customer!  But of course, there is a much greater number of average customers. I didn't like the Mario Sunshine boxart, but that didn't stop me from buying it.  Same for MK: DD.  And Skies.  And.......damn...I find too many boxarts to be crap!

EDIT: typo

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2004, 05:54:44 AM »
I don't think people look at box art that much. Who goes to a game store and says, "I'm going to buy something I've never heard of if it has a cool box!" No one. Screen shots might sell games, but I don't think box art does anything.

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2004, 07:47:33 AM »
But the box art would have to attract someone to the game in order for them to want to look at the screen shots to begin with.  You'll be surprised how many people I've seen reject a game because of the cover art alone.  The way we're taught in our major is that the artist has to get the person attracted to their work in 3 seconds or the product would've lost its potential buyer.  

As for the cover to this game, I have to side with those who say it sucks.  For the type of game and theme it's supposed to represent it completely understates it and doesn't strike out at you like anything worthwile.

Offline Greedy8899

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2004, 08:54:06 AM »
Well, I dont post very often here but I decided to post to this topic. Beyond Good and Evil looked like a good title to pick up but there's many other games out there I would rather play. I own both ps2 and gcn. Its hard enough as it is when there is normally a game I want each month that is good. Like this month I bought Final Fantasy: Crystal Cronicles. Even though I wont play it probably until April or maybe sooner, I would rather get a game that would come from a better company. I can tell you right now that I am not a Ubisoft fan.  Let me get to the point, right now I have other games backed up to play. The current games I am playing are Final Fantasy X-2 and Sonic Heroes. Once Sonic Heroes is done I will pop in Resident Evil: Code Veronica X.  Once Final Fantasy X-2 is don I will pop in .hack//quarantine. Once Resident Evil is finished, then will come time for FF:CC. By that time I would already have gotten MGS: Twin Snakes and not of played it. AS you can see its hard enough for me to catch up with any game so I wont bother picking it up. Probably when summer comes along I will probably get into the lackluster titles I wanted to get when I didnt have the time to.
I am the Greedy One!

Offline Ocarina_Jedi

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2004, 01:03:59 PM »
I don't know about you guys but I find green lips very attractive...
I agree that the boxart doesn't do anything to really promote the game.  However, I would stop short of calling it crappy.  It looks more like the cover of a Tom Clancy children's book rather than an action/adventure game.
As for the game itself I just picked it up two days ago.  (I only had to dish out $4 when I traded in Jedi Outkast.)  I haven't stopped playing it yet.  I think Ubisoft is now my favorite 3rd party developer.  First PoP and now this.  The game has a very original story, which is a real plus in my book.  Plus, the rhinos in the Mammago Garage are without doubt the best new characters in a video game.  Graphics and audio are above par, and control is simple.  The game actually leans more towards adventure rather than action, which is new for me, but its not half-bad.
I've gotta say what I've gotta say, and then I swear I'll go away, but I can't promise you'll enjoy the noise.

Offline WhoDey

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2004, 03:31:09 PM »
I fall in line with about everyone else here. I've been interested in Beyond Good and Evil since information was first released about it. After reading previews, and then mostly favorable reviews, I knew this was a game I'd have to buy. However, I still haven't yet. This is why.....

In November I ended up buying Mario Kart for my birthday. Then EA ran an online sale that allowed me to get The Sims: Bustin Out for both the GC and GBA for around $35 total. So I couldn't pass that up. I also bought Harvest Moon for the GBA sometime in that period.  For Christmas I gave my wife a list of games to choose from for me. Beyond Good and Evil was one on the list but she ended up choosing Viewtiful Joe. So I got that one with no complaints from me. Beyond Good and Evil was still on my list to get. Then, in January, Circuit City began having some deals on games so I got Hitman 2 (GC)for $15 along with Banjo-Kazooie for GBA and Breath of Fire for GBA for $10 a piece. On top of that UbiSoft ran the promotion that if you bought Prince of Persia (another game I really wanted) you got Splinter Cell (a game I was always curious about) for free. So I waited till the last day of the month and made the purchase. Oh yeah, I squeezed Mario and Luigi (GBA) in there somewhere in there too.

In February, I have bought no games. It's been a month that I've tried to actually play through some of these games. Beyond Good and Evil is still a game I want along with games like Tak and the Power of Juju and Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy. I think all are around $20 now so it has worked out well for me. Of course in a week or two Harvest Moon for the GC will be released and I'll have to get that one.

There are just too many games and too little time to play them all. Beyond Good and Evil just got squeezed out. I will still buy this game, I just don't know when.  

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2004, 04:40:50 PM »
BUY IT!!!
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2004, 07:08:16 PM »
It doesn't really fit into my schedule anymore. I just got Ikaruga and soon enough FFCC and then Harvest Moon come out (and some games after that, but I don't remember which ones), all within two weeks of each other. Two weeks is some kind of minimum space between games, to allow for my finances to recover and for games to be played. I still have to play Anachronox and Oni further, for X2 I got the excuse of instability. Ah, and then Spellforce (100 hours!) comes in somewhere, too... Grrr, too many games.

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2004, 04:20:11 AM »
1) The Wal-Mart I work at never got in a single copy.

2) I bought far too many games last year that I haven't beaten (or in some instances even played)

3) Because of #2 I made my New Years Resolution be to not buy any games this year.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2004, 04:06:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Nemo
I made my New Years Resolution be to not buy any games this year.

I can get you passed that one on a technicality...

Beyond Good & Evil was released (on the GameCube) in December. It's been out for a few months now, so technically it's no longer a new game, LOL. I don't think you'd be violating the terms of your New Year's resolution if you made this one exception

PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2004, 08:06:38 AM »
I was at BB with a gift card after Christmas. I'd been interested in the game for awhile, but I assumed it was $50 and didn't think to look at the title. Instead I got P.N.03. Two days later the $20 MSRP was announced. If I'd known about that I would have gotten it. Which is not to say P.N.03 is bad, but I like adventure games more. And I'm a sucker for eye candy, too.

It's a shame they weakened her charecter design, just to have the game flop. They could have given her the style she deserved, and given us a better game, and gotten the poor sales.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2004, 12:42:06 PM »
More specificly, my New Years Resolution was to not buy ANY games this year.  This includes new games and old games (as some of my game purchases are old school games for the NES and so forth).  The only exception to this rule was Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, which I had pre-ordered last year.  Also, friends and family can buy me games (for a birthday or for Christmas, most likely), but I can't give anyone money so that they can buy me game (duh).  As further incentive to not buy any new games this year, my best friend bet $50 against me that I would fail in my resolution.  So, thanks for the idea, Rhoq, but it wouldn't work out.  If you want to buy me a copy of BG&E, however, I'll give you my adress.  
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2004, 06:26:48 PM »

Originally posted by: Nemo
thanks for the idea, Rhoq, but it wouldn't work out.

Can't blame a guy for trying

Hey there's always next year, right?

LOL

PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Smadte

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2004, 10:35:57 AM »
This game's kind of boring. It got it around Christmas, and I haven't even finished it yet. It's basically a very dumbed down version of WW with lame companions that you have to endure.