Community Forums > Movies & TV

Rate the last movie you've seen

<< < (1131/1309) > >>

broodwars:
Finally saw Wonder Woman yesterday. Eh...it was OK, I guess. Like Adrock, the movie's 3rd act is so incredibly weak that it almost ruined the movie for me. And man, is Gal Gadot's acting spotty. Sometimes, she's really convincing. Other times, she's on par with Tommy Wissaeu.

Plugabugz:
Kingsman: The Golden Circle. I tried to avoid the trailers (which is hard to do when you go as much as i do), but at 140 minutes again this movie is too long. You can easily cut out ~20 minutes (a minute here, a minute there rather than entire scenes) and the film would be leaner for it. Gravity is 91 minutes, and at the end there probably is not a single scene i'd cut out because it was so aggressively taut (both in pacing and suspense) that when it ends you can almost relax.

The upside is that the director is much better skilled at action shots and resists editing them to death, so you can actually watch rather than waste brain power trying to see everything quickly before it cuts to the next shot.

The weak link in this whole movie though is Julianne Moore's character, she had such little urgency that all of her scenes were from her secret hideaway. Channing Tatum is also wasted too, appearing when Statesman does then literally is sidelined until the tail end of the movie. Samuel L Jackson, this is not.

Plugabugz:
Blade Runner 2049 - What a visually gorgeous movie. The visuals was truly, truly a sight to see. I haven't seen the first BR, so i went in blind. But i was able to pick it up quite easily, so it isnt impenetrable to those who haven't seen the first. There's a shot almost immediately as the film begins as K lands his ship and steps out into the foggy vista - the camera pulls back and you get this extremely cool shot of him just standing in his long flowing jacket. The only thing that breaks up the fog is the clean lines of his clothing and his ship doors.

The music was great in places (another Hans Zimmer production), some notes that really help to sell the awe of what you're looking at. And then he drowns it in heavy techno bass.

Denis Villneuve is definitely one of my favourite directors of recent times (Arrival is one of my favourite movies of 2016) and he was definitely up to the task of recreating this universe. The design, details, and mood was fantastic and he took his time with all the shots to make sure you appreciated it too.

Which again brought up my chief complaint - at 160 minutes its too long and spent too long being relaxed about it's mood.

But if that's my only complaint then this is still a really good movie.

ThePerm:
Probably one of the most interesting reviews I'll hear before I watch the movie. Not too many people are going to 1) See it blind 2) See it without seeing the original.

Arrival was a nice surprise of a movie. I like Aliens, and I like Constructed languages. so it was intended for my niche.

Also, did not find out it was already out until yesterday. Marketing team failed. Sometimes movies come out and you think they are still coming out, when they're actually leaving theaters. So, if it doesn't do well at the box office, then it was advertisers.

oohhboy:
Kingsmen: The Golden circle

Very enjoyable. The action is a bit over the top and doesn't reach the awesome peak of the first with the church fight and the final with the maid. The gore has been turned up to good effect.

Julianne Moore as always smoking hot and absolutely sold her character. Again an excellent villain that defies expectations. Her motivations are well understood and her actions are consistent with who she is.

The humour has been turned up 300% and I approve. But it is not without that emotional kick in the teeth to balance it off. A real tear jerker and a heart warmer.

It links up with the first movie well and it doesn't require you to see the first but seeing the first definitely helps you get close to the characters and understand their relationships. Almost everything gets a setup so it doesn't come out of nowhere which they use to full effect by pulling the rug from under you at times, constantly playing with your expectations.

It does drag a little but that is more due to impatience for what you know is going to happen to happen. Being a sequel does mean it loses some of that freshness of the first but they change it up enough so it doesn't fall into that "Exactly more of the same" hole that produces inferior movies. With the flavour change it gets to keep some of that freshness.

There is a sequel hook but it isn't presume that it is going to get a sequel leaving you with a non-ending pretending to be a cliffhanger *Cough, SW:TFA*. It is a complete story like the first and if more are made that option is open.

So many movies these days presume that they are going to have a guarantee sequel or from the outset to be some sort of movie universe where they can endlessly derive products from. This results in no thought given to the ending when you could do it "Later".

In a bit of a surprise Channing Tatum managed to do some acting or at least went home playing as someone from his native Alabama. Normally every time I see him I want to throw the proverbial tomato at him for being someone so bad at acting yet still remain employed. I saw him as that character instead of Channing Tatum as Channing Tatum. Good job for once.

If you liked the first you will enjoy this just as much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version