Author Topic: Telltale Bringing Minecraft: Story Mode To Wii U  (Read 2410 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Telltale Bringing Minecraft: Story Mode To Wii U
« on: August 26, 2015, 06:43:00 AM »

With a star-studded cast of blocks.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/41041/telltale-bringing-minecraft-story-mode-to-wii-u

Telltale Games has announced that Minecraft: Story Mode will launch on Wii U.

The upcoming episodic adventure series from Telltale was revealed in a preview for the game posted at The Verge, with the first episode expected to release later this year.

The game's voice cast includes Patton Oswalt as the player character Jesse, as well as the vocal talents of Billy West (Futurama), Paul Reubens (You Don't Know Jack and Pee-Wee Herman) and Corey Feldman. It is also the first Minecraft game to be published on a Nintendo platform and first Telltale Wii U game, though a package of The Walking Dead seasons 1 and 2 has been rumored.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Telltale Bringing Minecraft: Story Mode To Wii U
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 03:32:54 PM »
One of these days, I'd really like to see the dart board Telltale apparently uses to decide which games they're bringing to Wii U.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 04:03:51 PM »
Neat, I guess?

One of these days, I'd really like to see the dart board Telltale apparently uses to decide which games they're bringing to Wii U.

Heh. The Walking Dead and Minecraft are probably the two most lucrative licenses Telltale has. Not hard to figure out, sadly.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 06:19:50 PM »
Neat, I guess?

Heh. The Walking Dead and Minecraft are probably the two most lucrative licenses Telltale has. Not hard to figure out, sadly.

And yet Walking Dead S2 is one of the most disliked Telltale Games from both fans and critics, but it's getting a Wii U release. Tales from the Borderlands has been probably their biggest critical and commercial success since WD Season 1, and The Wolf Among Us is generally well-liked. No Wii U version. Game of Thrones is one of the biggest shows on TV. No Wii U release. Minecraft isn't even ON Nintendo devices, but their terrible-looking "Story Mode?" Wii U release.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 06:36:23 PM »
No online mode, no buy.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 10:28:08 PM »
Why must they torment us?!?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 11:06:09 PM »
Minecraft's good as it. LEAVE IT THE F#CK ALONE!
Made you look ****.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 11:52:34 PM »
Sure, why not?
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 11:55:15 PM »
Hint that Minecraft is coming?

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 12:03:02 AM »
And yet Walking Dead S2 is one of the most disliked Telltale Games from both fans and critics

That is just not true. Maybe you don't like it, but it's gotten pretty good reviews from both fans and critics. For example, it has an average of 80 on Metacritic; lower than season 1, but about the same as other Telltalle games like Tales from the Borderlands (which has a 81 average) and Sam & Max. Looking at the average reviews of the games, it would appear that most critics like their Walking Dead Season Two games.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 12:37:47 AM »
Hint that Minecraft is coming?

Remember last year when Nintendo was asked about Minecraft they made a cryptic comment about how they were aware of it and may have been working on that route? Maybe they have been building their own version as well similar to Sony? If they cut a deal before selling it could still be in the works.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 04:23:38 AM »
That is just not true. Maybe you don't like it...Looking at the average reviews of the games, it would appear that most critics like their Walking Dead Season Two games.

I didn't play enough of Season 2 to have a feeling one way or the other about it: because Telltale apparently doesn't allow you to upload your PS3 saves to the cloud, I lost my Season 1 & 2 save file around the end of episode 2 of Season 2 when my PS3's hard drive corrupted. In order to fully experience Season 2, I'd have to play through Season 1 again (because your Season 1 save transfers into Season 2) and I really don't want to do that.  I suspect, though, that public sentiment towards Season 2 is a lot worse than it looks on metacritic. No one seemed to talk about it when it was out, and whenever I see people mention it in forums or on podcast, the general consensus seemed to be that it wasn't very good. *shrug*

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 04:16:15 AM »
Season 2 of Telltale's The Walking Dead isn't as well put together as season 1, but it has enough moments to be enjoyable. There are a lot of new characters and they just aren't developed as well as season 1's core group. The 2nd season peaks in episode 3, and meanders afterwards in terms of the overarching plot. There are character turns that either don't feel earned or aren't telegraphed well (episode 5 being a sticking point).

Still, there are good dramatic beats that are worth playing through. Maybe this is cognitive dissonance of the buyer acting up, but I didn't find season 2 to be awful. At worst, I'd say it's a disappointing sophomore slump.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 12:55:15 PM »
The Walking Dead: Season Two is good, not great.  I enjoyed it because I generally like these story based games where they make you feel like your choices matter in the game. 

Biggest problems with The Walking Dead Season 2 are (spoiler tags in case anyone cares):
  • The most impactful story arcs revolve around leftovers from Season One.
  • The survivor group you're paired with generally isn't that interesting/enjoyable to be a part of.  Additionally, the new people they try to have you bond with seem like forced relationships, whereas the Lee & Clem relationship felt a lot more natural & lasted throughout the entire game.
  • The game didn't make you feel like you had as much agency as Season One.  Even if you know the choices don't affect the outcome, Season one gave you lots of choices that left the impression that it mattered.  Season two has a lot less of those, which might make sense for a child living in a world of surviving adults, but there were maybe 2 or 3 really meaningful ones, including at the end that branches the ending in 4 possible ways, but for anyone who played the first season, it didn't necessarily seem like that hard a choice.

Written down, that seems like a  lot of complaining, but Season 2's biggest faults are that it was the follow-up to Season 1 which did enough things right to broom any of the faults under the rug to me. 

Frankly, The Wolf Among Us S1 might be my favorite out of the three at this point.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 12:59:39 PM »
In regards to the actual article....

Seems odd that the Telltale story version of Minecraft will end up on Wii U before the actual game, but my guess is that since Telltale paid for the license to Minecraft, they're able to work independently from Mojang to release the game at will.  Microsoft/Mojang probably haven't bothered with Wii U ports of the proper game because the cost to port vs the perceived sales they'd get probably doesn't justify it.  This very may well be the only minecraft you see on Wii U.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 01:43:10 PM »
Plus Microsoft would probably not want to give help to the Wii U. I could see them doing a 3DS version though. Microsoft has been willing to release games on Nintendo handhelds in the past.
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 02:13:54 PM »
They're still selling it on PlayStation platforms, which I'd think they'd be even less likely to want to help.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 03:16:05 PM »
I always figured that was because they inked a deal "pre-Microsoft sale" so it still had to be honored.
My Game Collection