Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 663918 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (Unprecedented partnership with Square Enix?)
« Reply #300 on: September 17, 2015, 06:51:34 PM »
Nintendo has entered the videogame equivalent of the Tyson Zone (maybe it should be the Mr. Dream Zone).  For those unaware the Tyson Zone is when a celebrity (ie: Mike Tyson) has such a reputation for being wild and crazy and you can make up anything about them and it sounds plausible.  While Nintendo isn't quite at that stage, in regards to general competency within the videogame industry they are at that point where the most ludicrous and idiotic ideas sound plausible.

So the NX being literally just the Wii U with a new hat scrolling L&R buttons would be such an idiotic idea but because Nintendo is in the Mr. Dream Zone it sounds totally like something they would do.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (Unprecedented partnership with Square Enix?)
« Reply #301 on: September 17, 2015, 07:21:16 PM »
It seems like the patent is purely for the scrolling L and R buttons (which also include some kind of rotor mechanism for feedback), and would probably be included in both forms of NX if they're as share-y as is speculated. They just used a generic Gamepad/Gameboy type thing for the mock-up, it would be dumb to think they'd relay any more information in a patent application than they had to.

Also, it seems like a cool idea, like a less extreme version of the Steam controller.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 17, 2015, 07:24:22 PM »
What does it mean to "scroll" for a button? Is it like the scroll wheel on a computer mouse?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 17, 2015, 09:39:41 PM »
Let's just state for the record: NINTENDO STOLE MY IDEA

You know what I would like added to a controller? A scroll wheel, like off of a mouse. Maybe put it where the Z button is. So instead of having to use the directional pad to go through inventory, you can use the much easier wheel.

And I'm sure Miyamoto would find clever new uses for it as well.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=9337.75

I knew Nintendo read these forums!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 17, 2015, 09:55:06 PM »
What does it mean to "scroll" for a button? Is it like the scroll wheel on a computer mouse?
That's what I was thinking. I'm having a hard time imagining myself using such functionality in a game as I never press down on the scroll wheel on my mouse. The problem may be that I'm comparing it to something that isn't used for gaming purposes. I held a Gamecube controller (since it has the largest L/R buttons of any Nintendo controller), and there's definitely room for additional functionality. And let's not forget that patents regularly go unused.

Companies keep trying new things with controllers, and I appreciate the effort. Sony had pressure sensitive face buttons for two generations before deciding no one actually used them.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #305 on: September 17, 2015, 10:41:15 PM »
I think a scroll wheel could be a very interesting mechanic for certain games.  Imagine, a realistic shooter where you focus the sniper gun.  Or you could use it to set an exact speed in racing games.   Or you could use it for precision aiming. 

Ok...I can't think of that many ideas.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 17, 2015, 10:52:43 PM »
I can see this happening, but think its a terrible idea.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 18, 2015, 01:14:12 AM »
Blue sparks in Mario Kart just got sparkier!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 18, 2015, 01:49:07 PM »
If Nintendo is making some game and they're thinking "how do we map this mechanic to the controller" and a scroll wheel seems like the way to do it then I'm all for this.  That's how the N64 analog stick came about.  I don't like this Wii/DS approach where they're thinking "what if we added.... THIS?!" and then they assume that some new controller doodad is going to inspire all sorts of great ideas but it doesn't and we just get it forced into games where it isn't needed.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 18, 2015, 03:11:04 PM »
If Nintendo is making some game and they're thinking "how do we map this mechanic to the controller" and a scroll wheel seems like the way to do it then I'm all for this.  That's how the N64 analog stick came about.  I don't like this Wii/DS approach where they're thinking "what if we added.... THIS?!" and then they assume that some new controller doodad is going to inspire all sorts of great ideas but it doesn't and we just get it forced into games where it isn't needed.

To be fair, the only time their "innovation" with a controller didn't inspire was the Wii U.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 18, 2015, 03:40:16 PM »

To be fair, the only time their "innovation" with a controller didn't inspire was the Wii U.

And even then, it's had its positives. Super Mario Maker wouldn't work without the GamePad.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 18, 2015, 03:43:51 PM »

I personally disagree but no matter what there are always really lame tech demo-ish growing pains which you don't get from a natural controller evolution.  This approach is where dumb **** like blowing into the mic comes from.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 18, 2015, 04:14:25 PM »
I think a scroll wheel could be a very interesting mechanic for certain games.  Imagine, a realistic shooter where you focus the sniper gun.  Or you could use it to set an exact speed in racing games.   Or you could use it for precision aiming. 

Ok...I can't think of that many ideas.

-Adjusting zoom for a scope / on-screen maps
     -Shooters: Would allow for mobility (left stick) and aiming (right stick) if zoom was controlled by the scroll wheel.
     -Open world games: Assuming there's no Gamepad like device with a screen (and even if there was) you could zoom in/out of a map without interrupting the action

-Inventory scrolling / scrolling through abilities
     -Shooters: Scroll through weapons (assuming you have scroll wheels on each shoulder, left could be for grenade types / right could be for main weapons)
     -Xenoblade: scroll through your skills while still being able to move your character
     -Zelda: do away with the point and click, scroll through your items and click to select

-Misc. Functions / "gimmicks":
     -Racers: change radio station/song, gear shift
     -Shooters: activate weapons secondary function, (very specific Western themed shooter) scroll wheel acts like spinning a revolvers cylinder

eh... that's all I got too
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 18, 2015, 04:39:43 PM »
So are these scroll wheels replacements for the L&R buttons so that the button is now a clickable scroll wheel?  I can see issues with that if scrolling the wheel and pressing it do different things.  In the middle of intense play it may be difficult to accurately press the scroll wheel without also rotating it.  If both functions are used then you might accidently trigger the scrolling when you just intend to push it.

When people are really into a game they can tend to start waving the controller around and start really jamming on the buttons.  A good controller allows for accurate input within this sort of "stressful" playing.  I can't stand motion control or touchscreens because they're too ambiguous.  Did you swing the controller to do that action or are you just having difficulty keeping the controller still?  And I'll gladly also **** on the PS2 analog face buttons which had this horrible squishy feeling which made it ambiguous if you actually pushed the button or didn't.  You don't want that.  So a scroll wheel removes the "sturdiness" of a button and introduces two ways to push one button.  That suggests input ambiguity.  No good.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 19, 2015, 12:07:44 AM »
Even for you this is overly negative. It seems rather simple to make a button that is sturdy enough to not slide by mistake but still easy enough to press like a button.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: September 19, 2015, 12:44:52 AM »
Also, according to the patent, it will have feedback/locking capability. It would be able to stop at the end of a scroll "list", move by itself as feedback, or even freeze altogether. So long as there are L2/R2 buttons, it seems like it could only add interesting functionality and not remove anything.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 19, 2015, 02:35:35 AM »
People use scrollable wheel as a third button in mouse for a decade now.

In gaming included.

It will be totally fine.

Just like touchscreen and motion controls.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 19, 2015, 03:44:11 PM »
That touchscreen stuff really took off. Motion controls, not much.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 19, 2015, 03:50:25 PM »
They just weren't capable enough. If they'd had the Motion+ tech from the beginning I think that might have gone differently.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 19, 2015, 05:05:10 PM »
That touchscreen stuff really took off. Motion controls, not much.

Well, the PS3 and 360 had major addons that were inspired by motion controls. Plus motion controls seem to be playing an important part in VR controllers.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 19, 2015, 06:00:07 PM »
Motion control and touch screen on the Wii/DS changed digital  media not just gaming. "everything starts somewhere"

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 19, 2015, 09:09:51 PM »
The new console will have a mouse-like scroll wheel so you can fine tune just how quickly Nintendo will go out of business.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 19, 2015, 11:07:54 PM »
The new console will have a mouse-like scroll wheel so you can fine tune just how quickly Nintendo will go out of business.

The Force is strong with this one.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 22, 2015, 11:24:20 PM »
So there are some strong indications that the NX platform will be based on Linux.

Michael Larabel, the man behind the website and graphics testing suite Phoronix, has signed an NDA with Nintendo.
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/opengl-vulkan-mesa-gallium3d/817222-the-platforms-initially-supporting-vulkan

Phoronix is a website devoted to Linux Hardware and you may know it as the site that broke the news that Valve was releasing Steam on Linux. Gabe Newell used Michael as a referral contact for Linux support when they ran into issues out of the gate. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA3OTY

Phoronix is a very hard core Linux techy website ran by one guy. I'm a regular visitor, and they don't video game or even mainstream electronics coverage. The only reason I can think Nintendo would have him sign an NDA is if they had been talking to him about the development side of things.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 22, 2015, 11:58:05 PM »
I wonder how will they will be able to merge Linux's "free software" paradigm and DIY somewhat chaotic open-ness with Nintendo's wish to keep the system as closed as they can.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks